ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British citizenship - when to apply?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

RedLed
Newly Registered

Applying for British citizenship - when to apply?

Post by RedLed » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:26 am

Hi all,

I have a question regarding applying for British citizenship through naturalisation. At the end of the year I'll have ILR for a year. Could I apply for citizenship before the one year period elapse or do I have to wait unil 1 year expired before I post my application?

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:35 am

If you are not a spouse/civil partner of a British Citizen, then you should wait until you held ILR for at least a year before applying.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

RedLed
Newly Registered

Post by RedLed » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:35 am

Thanks Vinnie.
If I use the national checking service will they mailed it or do I have to mail it myself?

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:43 am

The NCS will check your application and documents, take a photocopy of your passports and any supporting documents, and give you back the originals. They will then send the application by Secure post and give you a HO reference number. You can use any NCS in the UK.

RedLed
Newly Registered

Post by RedLed » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:46 pm

Thanks Casa. What is the earliest the NCS will accept an appointment? I'm eligible at the end of the year. Will they only accept an appointment after the 1 year ILR period elapsed?

Regards

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Casa wrote:The NCS will check your application and documents, take a photocopy of your passports and any supporting documents, and give you back the originals. They will then send the application by Secure post and give you a HO reference number. You can use any NCS in the UK.
Hi Casa do NCS photocopy all the pages of the passport or only main and ILR visa page?

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:55 pm

You won't be able to attend the NCS until you reach your qualifying date.
The application is then sent immediately to the Home Office...i.e they wouldn't keep it on file and send it on the due date.
One important point to bear in mind. You have to have physically been in the UK on the equivalent date of application from the start of your qualifying period. For example if you are applying on the basis of Spouse of BC you would need to be present in the UK on the same date of application 3 years ago. Hope that makes sense. I'm sure someone else can explain it better! :roll:
You should however, be able to pre-book an appointment at an NCS for the qualifying date.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:59 pm

The NCS will photocopy all pages that show exit and re-entry into the UK.

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:45 pm

Casa wrote:The NCS will photocopy all pages that show exit and re-entry into the UK.
There is no exit stamp for UK i suppose so only the entry in UK stamps you mean.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:01 pm

And entry into a country outside of the UK.

RedLed
Newly Registered

Post by RedLed » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanks Casa!