ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK national wanting to marry US national with Tier 1 General

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ag113276
Newly Registered

UK national wanting to marry US national with Tier 1 General

Post by ag113276 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi Everyone

My Fiancee and I currently live in the UK and want to get married and stay here.
Simple enough? I think not which is why I am here.

She is a US national with a Tier 1 General Visa with just under 2 1/2 years left.
We worked together for a Global company since 2004 and have lived together in the UK since Feb.

I myself am a UK national.
She actually gave up her highly paid job to come to the UK to be with me and make a life here.

My question is this:-

If we get married, the home office suggests that the marriage/spousal visa requires a period of 6 months before she can apply to work.
She is already here and working under a Tier 1 General (HSMP) Visa.

Will she still be able to work after we are married (Under her current and valid tier 1 visa) and just count six months before applying for the spousal visa or will she have to wait 6 months?

She has a Highly skilled job, pays tax and works hard. If marrying her means she will have to quit work and become a burden to our broken economy for 6 months due to the marriage visa superseding her Tier 1 visa we would seriously think about taking our skills to the USA where the policy seems sensible.

Any guidance appreciated.

Regards

Adam

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:10 pm

Since she is already in UK on Tier 1 and has more than 6 months leave remaining, she will be able to switch as your partner. you have to apply for a COA to get married in UK. I believe she can continue to work while her application is in process and does not have to leave her job.

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:43 am

If you both are already living together for more than two years, she can apply for Indifinite Leave to Remain as cohabiting partner/couple. YOu both would need to prove your residence in same property by way of 20+ proof of address over 2 years.

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:01 am

confusedhsmp wrote:If you both are already living together for more than two years, she can apply for Indifinite Leave to Remain as cohabiting partner/couple. YOu both would need to prove your residence in same property by way of 20+ proof of address over 2 years.
She has to first switch to a married/partner visa and stay two years on that before applying for settlement (ILR).

maximux79

Re: UK national wanting to marry US national with Tier 1 Gen

Post by maximux79 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:04 pm

If she's alredy inside UK on Tier 1 visa as main applicant (not as dependent), then her marital status doesn't affect her VISA status...
ag113276 wrote:Hi Everyone

My Fiancee and I currently live in the UK and want to get married and stay here.
Simple enough? I think not which is why I am here.

She is a US national with a Tier 1 General Visa with just under 2 1/2 years left.
We worked together for a Global company since 2004 and have lived together in the UK since Feb.

I myself am a UK national.
She actually gave up her highly paid job to come to the UK to be with me and make a life here.

My question is this:-

If we get married, the home office suggests that the marriage/spousal visa requires a period of 6 months before she can apply to work.
She is already here and working under a Tier 1 General (HSMP) Visa.

Will she still be able to work after we are married (Under her current and valid tier 1 visa) and just count six months before applying for the spousal visa or will she have to wait 6 months?

She has a Highly skilled job, pays tax and works hard. If marrying her means she will have to quit work and become a burden to our broken economy for 6 months due to the marriage visa superseding her Tier 1 visa we would seriously think about taking our skills to the USA where the policy seems sensible.

Any guidance appreciated.

Regards

Adam