ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

about the British passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

prince de sens
Newly Registered

about the British passport

Post by prince de sens » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:26 pm

Hello everyone,

This is my first topic here and I am really wishing I can get a helpful information through people who has knowledge or experience.

I am student at the UK and have been there for two years with a student visa ofcourse due to my situation. I have loved the way people live in the UK especially the whether and life in the UK so i have changed my plan to stay at the UK after finishing my study.

I still have 2 more years for Bachelor degree and additional year for masters so I guess minimum is 3 years beside the 2 years I have already done.

I would like to ask about an easiest and fastest way for obtaining a British passport.

I would really be grateful for leading me the path through it since I don't know about the procedure that I should take.

Waiting for your response.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:36 pm

Basically;

2 years if u marry a Brit now.

5 years if u marry an EA Citizen now.

11 years if u become a perennial student.

15+ years if u just overstay.

Or, if u get a job, Tier 1 with Masters, after u finish ur studies, 11 years, or if u can get Tier 2 without doing Masters, ten years.

Bear in mind any visa gaps will have dire consequences and it's all set to change anyway with the 10 year and 14 year rules favourites to go (just on hearsay) - best bet is to marry a Brit! Not me though, I'm already spoken for and in any case I have exceptionally high standards!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:52 pm

You could also get an Irish passport if you have any Irish parents/grandparents. Irish citizens automatically have right of abode in the UK, so if you became an Irish citizen, you would be free from immigration control.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:57 pm

Have you passed your exams?
Have you been accepted to continue your course?
Can you afford the rest of your course?
It looks a little as if you no longer feel you can rely on your status as a student to secure your continued stay in this country and you are looking for some other way to do so.

prince de sens
Newly Registered

Post by prince de sens » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 am

Wanderer:

did you mean by getting a job right now while studying or after finishing my course ?

doesnotcompute:

I really would prefer to stay in England especially in Manchester since I am a fan of the club and I am now adjusted in this amazing city and I feel I belong to it beside the University of Manchester is one of the best universities in uk and the whole world.

Mr Rusty:

Actually I am doing great in my course which is Electrical & Electronic Engineering ( M.Eng )and I have got an overall of 72% which is equivalent to " A ". And about money no worried at all.

prince de sens
Newly Registered

Post by prince de sens » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:35 am

But guys,

I have my friend who is from South Africa. He had a student visa just like me and when he went to renew his visa after two years from entering the UK, he was given the ILR and told to stay at the UK for a whole year then apply for a British passport if he wants.

I wanted to ask about this situation and if I can have the same as he got however my visa has not expired yet and it vailds for more 2 years

If anyone can share with me his experience about that or even knowledge of possible and easiest ways to get the British passport

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:35 am

prince de sens wrote:But guys,

I have my friend who is from South Africa. He had a student visa just like me and when he went to renew his visa after two years from entering the UK, he was given the ILR and told to stay at the UK for a whole year then apply for a British passport if he wants.

I wanted to ask about this situation and if I can have the same as he got however my visa has not expired yet and it vailds for more 2 years

If anyone can share with me his experience about that or even knowledge of possible and easiest ways to get the British passport

Thanks
Not possible - ur friend must be mistaken.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

winber

Post by winber » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:47 pm

I think it is possible. The home office could have made a mistake.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:14 pm

winber wrote:I think it is possible. The home office could have made a mistake.
Unlikely but if they did make a mistake and grant him ILR after only two years here on a student visa I don't think he'd be wise to apply for British citizenship as they definately won't grant him that after only 3 years in the UK unless he is married to a British citizen.