ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I come to UK now ?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

athukral
Newly Registered

Can I come to UK now ?

Post by athukral » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:17 am

Hi All,

I need your suggestion.
I had got HSMP Tier-1 Visa in Dec.2008. Since the UK job market felt the heat of recession so I dropped my plan of coming to UK because I am a married person with running housing EMI with me, so could not take this risk.

I think, the things are little better now so please suggest and let me know if I shall come to UK now.
My Skill-set includes: 5.5+ years of work experience in C++, C, Solaris/Linux/Unix, SNMP, NMS/EMS, Multi-threading, Socket Programming etc. I have previous experience of working in UK with FTEL (Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Ltd.)-Birmingham for 7 months on work permit.

Following are my questions:
1) What are the chances of me getting a job in UK ?
2) What should be the salary I shall expect in current mkt conditions ?
3) and how long will it take to get a job ?
4) Where can I stay during this period, I mean what are the least costly staying options ?

Looking forward for your replies and hope it will definitely help me in getting a job in UK.

Thanks and Regards,
athukral

ksankar1982
Newly Registered

Re: Can I come to UK now ?

Post by ksankar1982 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:49 pm

athukral wrote:Hi All,

I need your suggestion.
I had got HSMP Tier-1 Visa in Dec.2008. Since the UK job market felt the heat of recession so I dropped my plan of coming to UK because I am a married person with running housing EMI with me, so could not take this risk.

I think, the things are little better now so please suggest and let me know if I shall come to UK now.
My Skill-set includes: 5.5+ years of work experience in C++, C, Solaris/Linux/Unix, SNMP, NMS/EMS, Multi-threading, Socket Programming etc. I have previous experience of working in UK with FTEL (Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Ltd.)-Birmingham for 7 months on work permit.

Following are my questions:
4) Where can I stay during this period, I mean what are the least costly staying options ?

Looking forward for your replies and hope it will definitely help me in getting a job in UK.

Thanks and Regards,
athukral
Hi,

I too got my visa in a similar time as urs. Now i dropped over to UK by aug. These days I am getting more calls when compared to zero calls that I recieved when i was in UK. Having said that, I am not encouraging u to come here right now. The fact is, many consultants have shortlisted my resume, but nothing fruitified yet. Everyone says the interviews will be in the coming week or next week or similar to that. I am yet to attend an interview despite of numerous calls from consultants. But i have a strong hope that things will go good in the coming days.

The thing is that thier interview process is quite lengthy. U have to be aware of that if u plan to come now. Also I have 5 yrs exp in J2ee platform. Along with the skillset they do give equal preference for domains. Most companies here are recruiting for banking / finance domain only. I believe u are from telecom verticle , so do i am. Right now only job postings which doesnt say the job is for a finance/ banking domain have been successful for me. What i mean by success is nothing but getting shortlisted by the consultants. Its a herculean task really, since I not from a finance / banking domain.

One other very very important thing to say here is if u drop here by end of this month or so, then u only have a month to go as November is approaching, which is winter season, when everybody including decision makers goes on vacation. So u may need to wait till Jan mod or so. I am not discouraging u but warning u. In my opinion 1 month is not enuf. But again its upto ur confidence levels and gut fealing. Take ur decisions considering the above things.

Also there are numerous threads similar to these here.. Please go thru those too.

Coming to ur next point, salary wise I am too not sure. I see most jobs advertised are in the 35- 45k bracket. There are jobs advertised with salary stated as 70k to 90k too. But I am really not sure if those are real job postings or the one posted by some consultants to gather a db of resumes. Yet to find out that :) . Someone else who has some UK experience can give us an idea.

For ur third question, as i already said, it depends.

For ur 4th q, I am not sure really. I am staying in my close friend's place. So for this again someone else has to assist u.

Thanks.

athukral
Newly Registered

Thanks buddy

Post by athukral » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:24 am

Thanks a lot ksankar1982 for your reply .. I think this will really help me.

sashi1979

Post by sashi1979 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:40 am

cost of living, excluding phone, travel & food etc., in a temporary place of stay will be around £200 per week.

This is the cheapest you can find in britain, unless you share a dingy with 10 other people.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:17 pm

Hi All,

Nice replies to the query and hope I can add to them as well

KP : Many earlier posts on this in general. Specifically, 6 years or so is good but not great and domain experience counts a lot here. This, mixed with your persuasion skills and the mere luck of being picked up by Consultants all add to the overall percentage of getting a job. It's just like anywhere else actually. No facial discrimination of any sorts - if you are good, you are in, simple.

KP : With 6 years exp, you are looking at anywhere between 30k to 45k based on the region you work in. 30k in a nice small town is equivalent to 45k in London City. Obviously you can get more as well if you are in the right place at the right time :-)

KP : It takes long here. Consultants will send their candidates to the company. Company interviews 3, 5 or 15 candidates from all Consultants. Many times, first one is over the phone. A week or so later you get news if you are in for Round 2 which is in person. This maybe arranged for a week in advance based on availability. There may be a Round 3 after this with the final shortlisted 2 or 3 candidates which takes another few weeks. So, you are easily looking at 4 weeks to closure. Note that this is the general process. In cases where they need someone urgently or you fit the role perfectly, things can be finalized well within 5 days itself.

KP : There are extremely cheap places of staying but they are far out and of no use to you. Suggest best place to stay is close to London, on the direct train route in or generally in the South of UK as most IT jobs are here. Wherever you stay, you will have to travel on your own for interviews so based on simple probability, its a good idea to stay in the South.
Disagree that you must pay £200 a week excluding bills. You can find a bachelor pads or possibly share with 1 or 2 people. You can find a decent single bed room or house for about £350 a month, trust me. And I dont mean living like a beggar or in any of the shayd areas with a million Asians around!
Even in cities with good unis you can find places with PG students where 3 people share a huge house and are charged with all bills inclusive. You can get a place with all bills inclusive and hopefully 2 decent roomies for about £200 or £300 a month all inclusive!!!!

Some other tips

1. Do not come now as there is less time for you to get acquainted with your surroundings, setup a base and start job hunting. Most companies take on temp people to cover the XMas period and do not make any permanent offers.
2. There are good signs things are picking up and clearly, it will be a lot better from mid Jan 2010, plus you will also have just 2 months of winter to get through.
3. Decide if you want to get into contracting or perm jobs. This is something many are confused with. Example to help you

You may get a great job paying you £20k for 3 months contract work. After that you have to hunt again. During that contract, if you get an offer from somewhere for a perm job paying £35k a year with good benefits you will not be happy. Having a good perm job in a good company with benefits is anyday better for a family man. Chances of growing in the company, getting trained and availing benefits are all great and such things are not on offer while you contract. Contracting is all about money, nothing else. If you work 3 months and sit at home job hunting for the next 3 months, you actually lose out in the end, so be smart

All the best to you 8)
Cheers
KP