ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for dependants

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

patni
Newly Registered

Citizenship for dependants

Post by patni » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:29 am

I have 2 children who were born in the UK, and are my dependants. We will be eligible for applying for citizenship soon, but I am not really sure that I want to lose my Indian passport, OCI not withstanding. Is it possible that only the children and the spouse can apply for citizenship? Note that they are my dependants, so dont have their own income or anything.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:01 pm

when it comes to citizenship it is 'each man/woman to his own' there are. Once one gets ILR s/he ceases to be a dependent and wont need the other party to apply for naturalisation. You applying wont affect your spouse or vice versa. The only thing is that when a couple apply for naturalisation they can benefit from a discounted fee if they apply at the same time. Also for children if more than one child is applying then they can benefit from a similar discount.

patni
Newly Registered

Post by patni » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Thank you for the reply. When you say every one for himself, do they not consider stuff like income etc in making the decision? As current dependants they have no income, in fact the children wont even be able to give the citizenship test!

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:51 pm

I would suggest you have a look at the form AN & Guide AN for yourself and Spouse and Form MN & Guide MN for any minor children for the full requirements of anyone applying.

Remember also that your children born here are eligible to apply as soon as you get ILR, they dont need to wait for you to also apply
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... sc&start=0