ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I change visa status whilst in the UK...

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

confused2
Newly Registered

Can I change visa status whilst in the UK...

Post by confused2 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:34 pm

... Or do I need to obtain entry clerance first?

Heres the background.

My Fiance has Nigerian/ American dual nationality. He has been issued with an UK student visa from Nigerian/ British authorities. I am a british national and we hope to get married in Barbados.

The question is, can he return to the UK on his student visa or will he be required to obtain spousal entry clearance first and/ or do we need to apply for certificate of approval?

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: Can I change visa status whilst in the UK...

Post by Rozen » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:12 pm

confused2 wrote:... Or do I need to obtain entry clerance first?

Heres the background.

My Fiance has Nigerian/ American dual nationality. He has been issued with an UK student visa from Nigerian/ British authorities. I am a british national and we hope to get married in Barbados.

The question is, can he return to the UK on his student visa or will he be required to obtain spousal entry clearance first and/ or do we need to apply for certificate of approval?

If the student visa is still valid, he can get back to the UK on it.
You need to apply for COA to marry only if you're marrying in UK. Not for Barbados! Dunno their rules there.

IMMIGRATION LAWYER
United Kingdom

Post by IMMIGRATION LAWYER » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:04 pm

If her visa was issued for more than 6 months, she could switch in the UK.

vinny

Re: Can I change visa status whilst in the UK...

Post by vinny » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:31 pm

Rozen wrote:If the student visa is still valid...
And he's still a student.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

confused2
Newly Registered

Post by confused2 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

My Fiance applied for a visa extension and his appeal was rejected :cry:

We are thinking that we are going to have to get married sooner than expected for him to stay in the country, can he now apply in the UK for a fiance visa or does he need to go back to the US and apply from there for entry clearance?

We are afraid that the UK authorities will reject our request because he initially applied for a student visa. Will it be easier for us to get married in the US and then apply for a spousal visa?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:34 pm

You can't apply for a fiance visa from within the UK. Is his student visa still valid and is he still studying (attending his course). If so, you could apply for a COA to marry in the UK if you still have time before the visa expires, and then switch to spouse - FLR(M) from here.
If not...then you could return and marry in his home country and then apply for a spouse visa to re-enter (Form VAF4a - £585), or fiance visa and then marry in the UK within 6 months and apply after the marriage for Further Leave to Remain...but fiance visa would be the more expensive option...2 visa fees.

Are you both over 21?