ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

COA received, notice given, reasons to worry... ??

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

alinna

COA received, notice given, reasons to worry... ??

Post by alinna » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:20 pm

I hope someone can give me an advice on this....

My fiance just got his COA and we will marry in 15 days. I am from EU, self employed, living in Uk since Jan 2008, he is indian, visa expired but not yet overstayer.
After marriage we are planning to go to his country, meeting his parents, wedding ceremony, etc.

My question is this:
After marriage, should he apply for his Residency Card from within UK and postpone our journey or is it better to go to India and apply from there for his family permit?
I am wondering this because of what i read on this forum about the EEA2 waiting time (10-12 months!!!) and i want to know how long it takes for the family permit from outside the uk.

Also what is the difference between these two? Are both for 5 yrs? Do both give him the same rights?

Hope someone will help me.
Thanks.

All the best!
Last edited by alinna on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiny
Newly Registered

Post by Tiny » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:41 am

The EEA family permit is an entry clearance issued outside the UK and is valid for 6 months. Once in the UK you can apply for a residence card on form EEA2. This is valid for 5 years, after which you will be eligible for Permanent Residence (PR)

I've also read some horror stories about the EEA2 waiting time but remember, the residence card doesn't give you any rights, it merely confirms the rights you already have. So as far as I know, as soon as your fiance marries you, he will automatically have the right to live and work in th UK.

I'm not sure about waiting times for the EEA Family Permit, but I think they're issued fairly quickly.

Hope this helps!

Tiny

alinna

Post by alinna » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:09 pm

Tiny wrote:So as far as I know, as soon as your fiance marries you, he will automatically have the right to live and work in th UK.

I'm not sure about waiting times for the EEA Family Permit, but I think they're issued fairly quickly.

Hope this helps!

Tiny

Thanks for your reply.
As i said i am from EU so i don't need a residency card or a family permit, but my fiance does, him being indian and subject to immigration control.

I wanted this information because we want to know what is best for us to do next.

Thanks a lot for your help.

alinna

Marriage booked, reasons to worry

Post by alinna » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:25 am

Ok.. we gave the notice to marry. Why am i still worried?

Because the lady who took the interview told us my fiance should have valid visa at the time of the marriage. And on his passport his visa is expired.

We have that appeal on though, and he is not an overstayer. We have the documents to prove that. Should i still be worried? I mean i dont want to wake up in the middle of the ceremony that they cant marry us....

Can anyone please advise us? Once we passed the interview, we gave the notice, they booked the wedding for us, fees paid, is it possible on the wedding day to be told 'we can't marry you' ?

Thank you.

hunpak
Member of Standing

Re: Marriage booked, reasons to worry

Post by hunpak » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:25 am

alinna wrote:Ok.. we gave the notice to marry. Why am i still worried?

Because the lady who took the interview told us my fiance should have valid visa at the time of the marriage. And on his passport his visa is expired.

We have that appeal on though, and he is not an overstayer. We have the documents to prove that. Should i still be worried? I mean i dont want to wake up in the middle of the ceremony that they cant marry us....

Can anyone please advise us? Once we passed the interview, we gave the notice, they booked the wedding for us, fees paid, is it possible on the wedding day to be told 'we can't marry you' ?

Thank you.
Dear Alinna
Congrats..dont worry as u have given the notice and they have accepted it so i dont think it should be a problem...

Best of luck

kashijee
Newly Registered

Re: Marriage booked, reasons to worry

Post by kashijee » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:13 am

hunpak wrote:
alinna wrote:Ok.. we gave the notice to marry. Why am i still worried?

Thank you.
Dear Alinna
Congrats..dont worry as u have given the notice and they have accepted it so i dont think it should be a problem...

Best of luck
did u married alinna ?

WellingtonKiwi

Post by WellingtonKiwi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:49 am

Hi there,
I have just had my EEA2 approved after only a month with Home Office! Not sure if I was just lucky or perhaps they have sorted their backlog out now. I offer the following advice:
• EEA family permit is a good way to go. British embassies abroad are required to treat these as a priority – I got mine in Dublin and it took 3 days. The permit allows multiple entry to the UK for 6 months
• This link allows you to view the processing times for visa processing offices abroad, which are updated every month (or two) http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/processingtimes
Hope this is helpful! Good luck!