ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR success at Birmingham - WP + HSMP (JR)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

global gypsy

ILR success at Birmingham - WP + HSMP (JR)

Post by global gypsy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:07 pm

Very happy to report that my ILR came thru today. Am writing this from the library close to the PEO, so will be brief.
My background:
- WP in Jan 2005
- switched to HSMP in March 2006
- then renewed HSMP in Feb 2008.

I had taken along lots of documents, but the caseworker (a very polite and nice lady) told me I only needed to give her the following:
1. Application and 2 photos (of course!)
2. Payslips for last 3 months (she even returned the March one which I submitted!)
3. P60s - I had just the last 3 - she did give me a bit of heartache saying I didn't have the one for 2006, and I had to convince her it wasn't necessary. Will write about this point in more detail later (if required).
4. Spreadsheet showing my absences from the UK
5. My initial HSMP approval letter (dated pre-April 2006) and my initial WP approval letter (Dec 2004).

That's all! She checked everything right there infront of me, then told me I qualified. Only then did she ask me to pay the fees. I feel this is important for those whose situation may a bit iffy. Based on what I've heard about Croydon, it seems they ask you to pay first, then only do they review your application.
I booked my ticket to Solihull well in advance, so paid only £15 return from Marylebone. (The only downside is that I have to spend another 3-4 hours here in Solihull, because my return trip is only by 6:30pm! But I am not complaining; it gives me the opportunity to take a look around this little town.)

Overall, a great experience.
A special thanks to all the forumites who shared their experiences here. It's been a great learning for me.
Btw, the passport was stamped with ILR as of 20-Jul-09, however they issued me a letter saying it's backdated to Jan 09. I would need to include this letter when I apply for my citizenship in Jan 2010. It's important you check this letter for the correct backdated start date in your case. (This applies only for JR scenarios, of course!)

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:26 pm

global gypsy,

Many congratulations to you. i have couple of questions though? Why did they give you back dated letter with ILR?

2nd question is, can someone please clarify how the fees is paid in different PEO's? how is this possible that at Birmingham they check if the application is valid then only they charge the fees where as in Croydon they charge the fees no matter what?
Magsi

lboro

Post by lboro » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:05 pm

magsi23 wrote:global gypsy,

Many congratulations to you. i have couple of questions though? Why did they give you back dated letter with ILR?

2nd question is, can someone please clarify how the fees is paid in different PEO's? how is this possible that at Birmingham they check if the application is valid then only they charge the fees where as in Croydon they charge the fees no matter what?
I think I have got answers to these questions but obviously global gypsy will give detail answer lateron

1. He got back dated letter with ILR because he applied under HSMP(Judicial review) where by qualification for ILR has been reduced from 5yrs to 4yrs

2. This is just administration procedures for different PEOs, there is no national quideline on this!

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Iboro

But are we sure that at Croydon they definetly charge the fees 1st?

Thanks
Magsi

lboro

Post by lboro » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:00 pm

magsi23 wrote:Iboro

Thanks
I don't have the answer for this, may be someone who has been at Croydon can help us out.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:02 pm

lboro wrote:
magsi23 wrote:Iboro

Thanks
I don't have the answer for this, may be someone who has been at Croydon can help us out.
Exactly £1020 is lot of money and to be refused for something really silly it would be even more annoying.
Magsi

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:56 pm

In response to magsi23's questions: Iboro is bang on,
- mine was an HSMP-JR situation, which is why the letter was backdated.
- it does seem the payment sequence varies at Croydon vs the other PEOs. It's precisely because of this that I canceled my earlier appointment at Croydon and switched to Birmingham. Besides, the Birmingham (actually, Solihull) office is a relatively quiet, relaxed place. From what I have heard of Croydon, it's a pretty hectic office.

Hope that explains things.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Btw, forgot to mention on important point:

My original HSMP was approved in March 2006, later renewed in Feb 2008.
Initially the caseworker could see only my Feb'08 HSMP renewal, based on which she told me I wasn't eligible under the HSMP-JR category!

At this point, I gave her my Mar'06 HSMP approval letter - she then typed in the the reference number on her computer, and confirmed that my case did qualfy! I am not sure what would have happened if I hadn't provided her my own copy of the Home Office letter!

I also recall now that they had never mentioned my original HSMP approval when I did my SAR a few months ago. This leads me to believe they somehow didn't have the correct links for my case in their computer system.

Moral of the story: Make sure you take along as many documents as you can. You may not need most of them, but it's better to be over-prepared than be told you don't qualify for some flimsy reason!

newuser11
Newly Registered

Post by newuser11 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:21 pm

Yes in Croydon they first charge the fee.

lboro

Re: ILR success at Birmingham - WP + HSMP (JR)

Post by lboro » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:27 pm

global gypsy wrote: I had taken along lots of documents, but the caseworker (a very polite and nice lady) told me I only needed to give her the following:
1. Application and 2 photos (of course!)
2. Payslips for last 3 months (she even returned the March one which I submitted!)
3. P60s - I had just the last 3 - she did give me a bit of heartache saying I didn't have the one for 2006, and I had to convince her it wasn't necessary. Will write about this point in more detail later (if required).
4. Spreadsheet showing my absences from the UK
global gypsy, referring to document no. 4, did you also fill in the absences in your application form or did you leave that section of the form blank and put everything on spreadsheet?

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Iboro - I wrote a note in the actual form (section 6, I think) stating "Details provided in attached spreadsheet" and left the section itself blank. They were ok with this.

One advantage of doing it this way is that you can keep updating your spreadsheet until the day of interview, without having to make any changes to the form itself.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

iyanu
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by iyanu » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:25 am

Congrats global gypsy. That was a concise and clearer process for you there. Good Luck on your naturalisation if you wanted to anyway.

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:19 pm

Congrats Global Gypsy..
Could you pleaes help me by answering some on my questions. I am due for ILR this 15th Aug and would like to appear for in person ...2 things i would like your help on - I dont have P60's for last 5 years..Instead just for last 3 years...what else can i show as proof? And could you also send me the list of documents that you took along with you. Thanks for your help in advance...
global gypsy wrote:Iboro - I wrote a note in the actual form (section 6, I think) stating "Details provided in attached spreadsheet" and left the section itself blank. They were ok with this.

One advantage of doing it this way is that you can keep updating your spreadsheet until the day of interview, without having to make any changes to the form itself.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:16 pm

indianuk - if you can show payslips in lieu of P60s for the periods, that should suffice. I suspect that could be a problem esp for earlier years, so if you can produce a letter from your employer that may help somewhat.

Having said that, they do seem to want the P60s or payslips, so I am not sure how you can handle that. Is it possible you can get replacement P60 forms for the missing periods?

My first post in this thread lists the required documents.

In addition to the list of documents I submitted, I had carried along letter from employer, bank statements for last 6 months, payslips for last 2 years, and letter from manager indicating my business trips out of the UK.

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:26 pm

Thanks for your help Sir...
I have gone through your first post and it is very helpful. After going through the post these are the documents i am planning to carry with me:

1. Covering letter for the ILR request
2. Dully filled Appllication with latest photographs for both of us
3. Passport for me and my dependent (my wife)
4. Initial WP approval letter issued in 2004 (2 year extension) from Home Office
5. WP extension letter issued by Home Office in 2006 (2 year extension)
6. WP extension letter issued by Home Office in 2008 (1 year extension)
7. Initial HSMP approval letter issued by Home office in Oct 2008. HSMP valid till Oct 2011
8. Offer letter from my current Employer stating the details of my job
9. Employment Letter from my current Employer stating my start of employment
10. Payslips for last 12 months
11. P60 for 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08. Finally got the missing P60 for 2004-05.
12. P45 for 2008-09 - This is because i have left the job just before the financial year end
13. Bank statements for last 12 months
14. Spread sheet showing my absences

Trying to get a letter from my previous employer stating that i was working with the company from Aug 2004 uptill Mar 2009.
Not sure if i will be able to get this or not, but will try.

Please suggest if this is enough. Planning to go for in person application.
Thanks in advance.

global gypsy wrote:indianuk - if you can show payslips in lieu of P60s for the periods, that should suffice. I suspect that could be a problem esp for earlier years, so if you can produce a letter from your employer that may help somewhat.

Having said that, they do seem to want the P60s or payslips, so I am not sure how you can handle that. Is it possible you can get replacement P60 forms for the missing periods?

My first post in this thread lists the required documents.

In addition to the list of documents I submitted, I had carried along letter from employer, bank statements for last 6 months, payslips for last 2 years, and letter from manager indicating my business trips out of the UK.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:49 pm

indianuk - your list of documents looks comprehensive. Just remember to keep the essential list of documents (as mentioned in my first post in this thread) separately, so that it is easier to provide them to the caseworker when asked.

Just one suggestion regarding the letter from your current employer. It would help if it states you are in a permanent role (if that's what you are in, of course!). Please see the following thread for an example letter format: Employment letter

Again, don't worry too much if you can't get the employment letters; as I mentioned earlier, the caseworkers don't seem to insist on these that much.

Btw, I carried along enough cash with me, just in case their credit card machines didn't work on the day! I had read about this on this forum, so being a paranoid myself, I didn't want to take a chance! Feel free to do what works for you.

All the best, and do let us know how the interview went.

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:36 am

Thanks for your reply..It was really helpful...I have got the Life in UK test on 17th and at the same time trying for a personal appointment now. I have got the employment letter as well from the link you had mentioned..
I shall definitely post the details as soon as i have my appointment...
Thanks once again for your help..

global gypsy wrote:indianuk - your list of documents looks comprehensive. Just remember to keep the essential list of documents (as mentioned in my first post in this thread) separately, so that it is easier to provide them to the caseworker when asked.

Just one suggestion regarding the letter from your current employer. It would help if it states you are in a permanent role (if that's what you are in, of course!). Please see the following thread for an example letter format: Employment letter

Again, don't worry too much if you can't get the employment letters; as I mentioned earlier, the caseworkers don't seem to insist on these that much.

Btw, I carried along enough cash with me, just in case their credit card machines didn't work on the day! I had read about this on this forum, so being a paranoid myself, I didn't want to take a chance! Feel free to do what works for you.

All the best, and do let us know how the interview went.

shivuu006

Post by shivuu006 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:28 am

Global Gypsy

Just wanted to check if there is a need for a covering letter when applying in person?

Thanks

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:42 pm

shivuu006 - I did prepare a covering letter for my PEO interview. However, I never even took it out! The caseworker asked me to provide just a few specific documents (as mentioned in my first post in this thread), and that was all. I now feel that the covering letter was not really required.

On the other hand, a covering letter would be more appropriate for a postal application.

Hope that helps.

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:50 am

Hi Global Gypsy...I have got an aoopintment with Birmingham office on 25th Sept for ILR now.
Though i know this is not the right place to ask this question, but i have a situation - I worked for a company from Aug 2004 till Mar 2009 and i have asked my previous Employer to issue me a reference letter stating that i was located in UK and working as XYZ during that period.
And they have said they can not issue this kind of a letter. This is rediculous actually but there is no other option.
My current Employer is OK to give me a letter of Employment that would state that i was employed with them since March 2009 till date and other details.
Do you think absence of previous Employer letter create any issues?? Do i need a letter that would state that i was working with previous empoloyer from & to an located in UK....Please suggest...

global gypsy wrote:shivuu006 - I did prepare a covering letter for my PEO interview. However, I never even took it out! The caseworker asked me to provide just a few specific documents (as mentioned in my first post in this thread), and that was all. I now feel that the covering letter was not really required.

On the other hand, a covering letter would be more appropriate for a postal application.

Hope that helps.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:05 pm

indianuk - As I have mentioned in an earlier post, the employer's letter is not a required document, at least based on my experience and that of a few others who have shared their ILR success here. So don't worry (I realize it's hard not to worry before getting the ILR!) too much. You should be fine so long as you have the payslips, bank statements and P60s as evidence of your employment history.

All the best.

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:35 pm

Guys i do apologise...i dont think this is the right place to put this question..But any help will be much appriciated...I have a personal appointment at Solihull on 25th Sept...and i have my wife as dependant..
Someone just told me that i have to fill in a separate form for the dependants..I was under the impression that i just need to fill in SET(0) and include all information for dependants and not separate form is required for them...Could you please suggest...

Many Thanks,
global gypsy wrote:indianuk - As I have mentioned in an earlier post, the employer's letter is not a required document, at least based on my experience and that of a few others who have shared their ILR success here. So don't worry (I realize it's hard not to worry before getting the ILR!) too much. You should be fine so long as you have the payslips, bank statements and P60s as evidence of your employment history.

All the best.

iyanu
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by iyanu » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi IndianUk,

As far as I am aware, you will only need a copy of the form SET(O) for you and your dependant(s) as long as you are applying under one main applicant.

I hope this will erase your doubt!

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:36 pm

I got my ILR today.
My background:
- WP starting Aug 2004
- switched to HSMP in Oct 2008
ILR Office - Solihull Birmingham
Application with one dependent

I carried almost everything with me that was issued to me for last 5 years. But the case worker did not ask me for all those documentrs.
These are the documents i was asked:
1. Application (partly filled - case worker was so polite and good that she filled up few things in that)
2. 2 photos each (me & my dependent)
3. Payslips for last 6 months (My case was a bit different so i had to submit last 6 months salary slips, But only 3 months salary slips are required only)
4. Last taxation document - as i had left the company in March i had P45 for that copany and no P60 for the current job.
5. My initial HSMP approval letter (dated pre-April 2006) and my initial WP approval letter (Dec 2004).

I was told that only last 3 months salary slip was required. But my case was a bit different. I left my previous company in March 2008, i was issued a P45 from my previous company. I started working for a new company from April 2008. SO till Mar 2008 i had P45 for taxation, but no proof for taxation on earnings from April 2008. So the case worker specifically told me that i will have to submit the payslips of the new job starting Apr 2008.
She specifically told me that if i was working for the same company, they would require only last 3 months.

All my absences from the country were mentioned in the document itself so i did not attach any spreadsheet.

That's all! She checked everything right there infront of me, then told me I qualified. Only then did she ask me to pay the fees. Overall, a great experience.
Birmingham rocks...People are good and frendly. In my case there was some problem with the machine printing VISA's, so i was told that they will send the documents along with the passport later on by first class post. Before sending the post they called me on my mobile and took all my details and gave me the reference number of the special delivery. i got the delivery very next day. The whole experience was gr8...
Thanks to everyone & special Thanks to global gypsy for all the help...

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:42 am

indianuk: hearty congratulations! Glad the tips were helpful. Now I am sure you will agree we all worried too much about the whole thing :)

But I suppose it's good to be well-prepared for such an important interview, so our effort was not in vain...