ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation - Different NI Numbers

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dabar

Naturalisation - Different NI Numbers

Post by dabar » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:25 pm

I didn't remember my NI number until now and let me confess that I was not very careful about cross-checking my tax documents in the past.
But as the date for my naturalisation application is approaching close, I have started putting together the documentary evidence as much as possible. And I came across this situation.
The NI number on my form P60 doesn't match with the actual NI no. Although my employer knows my permanent NI no. the accoutant did not bother to update it on their tax records and continued to use a temporary NI no. for me.
Therefore I am afraid that when I submit my naturalisation application with my permanent NI No on it, the Home Office may not be able to trace my tax history that has my temp. NI No.

How should I deal with this situation?

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:08 pm

You really should sort it out with the Revenue independently of (and prior to) your nationality application. It's to your benefit that taxes and NI contributions are credited to your personal NI account.

If I were you, I would ring your tax office. It is probably something that they can resolve fairly easily if you have copies of your submitted tax returns.

Joseph

dabar

Post by dabar » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:34 pm

Thanks. I would do that and get it sorted out asap.

John

Post by John » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:47 pm

Dabar, I agree with Joseph, this needs to be sorted out ..... but I don't think this is an serious as might have been the case.

As far as your tax records are concerned the NINO is only one of the ways HMRC might find your records. There is also the tax reference as quoted on the P60, and often on payslips, and that will undoubtedly be correct. So I think that IND, when they check your tax records, will be able to find you and details of your income.

As far as NI contributions are concerned you need to ensure that amounts paid by you are correctly allocated to your contributions account. However the following is a possibility :-
  • the P60 was printed, with the incorrect NINO starting TN, before any attempt was made to despatch the records to HMRC
  • the existence of the TN number was spotted prior to the information being despatched and was corrected. That is, it is possible the correct information was sent to HMRC with the employer's end-of-year information, OR
  • the information was sent to HMRC but then rejected. HMRC made very clear to employers early this calendar year that records with TN would not be acceptable as part of the end-of-year returns in April or May this year. If that happened then the employer would have needed to resubmit with the correct NINO information.
In other words, it is totally possible that the correct information was supplied to HMRC and it is only your printed P60 that is incorrect. In short, don't worry about this, as far as your Naturalisation application is concerned.

But still worth while checking that your NI contributions have actually got credited to your NI account.
John

dabar

Post by dabar » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:46 pm

Hi John,
Many Thanks for your detailed reply.

My NINO on P60 doesn't start with TN. It's in 2 digits 1 alphabet 5 digits format.
Meanwhile I've spoken to my employer and got assured that they would correct this.
Also I am thinking of attaching a copy of my recent P60 with my naturalisation application (if the NCS guys do not do one).

And I would try to sort this out and also check that my NI account is up to date.

You have just saved me from having a few sleepless nights. :)
Thanks again.

John

Post by John » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:33 pm

Dabar, I think there is an easier way for you to get confirmation of your tax record ... phone the tax office that deals with you. Which office is that? Your employer will be able to clarify that.

Simply ask them ... do they have your details of pay and tax for 2004-2005? If so, there is nothing more to worry about ... and certainly no need to think about attaching a P60 to your naturalisation application. After all, the HMRC records are in a computer system and no doubt IND access that same computer system. If your tax office can find your pay and tax records then so will anyone else accessing the same computer system.

Format of your incorrect NINO? Possibly explained by this page from the HMRC manuals. That format would have also been rejected at the verification stage of the employer's end-of-year return, so hopefully the record has already been correctly.
John