ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Not receiving email notification of replies

Post comments about workpermit.com website, don't post information related to immigration questions, work permit advice, etc.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ben
Diamond Member

Not receiving email notification of replies

Post by Ben » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:07 pm

Anyone else experiencing this?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

John

Post by John » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:53 pm

Not, not aware of that problem.

Any possible problem with your email server?
John

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:51 pm

John wrote:Any possible problem with your email server?
Hi John,

Not sure - seem to be getting mails through from other sources, including other phpbb message boards.

Anyway, I've just had 3 from Immigrationboards.com, so perhaps it was just a temporary issue. Will monitor and post back if it seems to be happen again.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:55 pm

Still not receiving email notification of replies. :(

John

Post by John » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:41 am

I have checked your settings and both "Always notify me of replies" and "Notify on new Private Message" are definitely set to "Yes".

We are not aware of a problem with the sending of emails, and there is no reason why you would be singled out. Maybe change the email address you use? As a Moderator here I can see your email address, and I wonder whether the Government of the country concerned might have put any block in place? Maybe time to get an Irish email address? Or if you already have such an email address, change the email address recorded on this board?
John

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:02 am

Hi John,

Thanks for checking in such detail. It seems to be a bit better now, as in, I got notification of your reply to this thread, and I got notification of 3 PMs this morning. However, I didn't get notification of a reply to another thread last night.

It's a bit sporadic, but anyway - it's not the end of the world!

Regarding my email address, as you know, it's @yahoo.com.sg. I pondered some time back about changing it to @yahoo.co.uk or @yahoo.ie, or even just @yahoo.com. When I contacted Yahoo they said it's possible and free to change the domain, without affecting my mailbox or the start of my email address, but they said it really makes little difference to the way emails are routed or stored, since all Yahoo mailboxes are stored on US servers, regardless of the country domain. Hence, I choose to remain status quo for ease.

So, in this case, I don't think we can blame Lee Kwan Yew (sadly).

I might get back in contact with Yahoo again though, ask them if they can see any reason why either Yahoo is not letting mails from @immigrationboards.com come through, or whether this site's phpbb SMTP server may have problems sending to @yahoo.*, or specifically, @yahoo.com.sg.

Once again John, many thanks. :)

John

Post by John » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:00 am

....or whether this site's phpbb SMTP server may have problems sending to @yahoo.*, or specifically, @yahoo.com.sg.
I really can't see how that might be the case. After all you are receiving some emails from this board. And no one else is making the same comment as you.

Of course I was not going to openly post the country allied to your emails, but now you have done that, of course I totally accept that your country cannot be to blame for those emails going missing.

Maybe time to get a "proper" email address, one not based on the web?
John

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:23 am

I think you should consider adding immigrationboards as a contact. I use to encounter similar problems, until i realised that some of the emails i received from Immigrationboards were sent to spam directly and some appears in my inbox. This problem seem to be confined to yahoo account. Incidentally, this never happened when i was previously using hotmail.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:55 am

Thanks chaps. Will add @immigrationboards.com to my contact list and monitor situation.

Now I'm off to send a very strongly worded letter to Lee Hsien Loong.

/takes tongue out of cheek.

:P

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:36 am

It's happening again. Not receiving any notifications at all now. I'm ruling out any problems with my Yahoo email, on account of:

1. My Yahoo email account is working perfectly for sending / receiving email to all other addresses. No issues at all.

2. I have been noticing Dubug / SMTP errors when making posts on immigrationboards.com. The very nature of such an SMTP error would indicate an issue with immigrationboards.com's outgoing email server.

John

Post by John » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:06 am

I have been noticing Dubug / SMTP errors when making posts on immigrationboards.com. The very nature of such an SMTP error would indicate an issue with immigrationboards.com's outgoing email server.
I noticed that at the end of last week, and contacted Administrator, who explained that they do indeed have a problem with their SMTP server, but he put in place a temporary fix, and will fix it properly in the near future.

To me this seems to be working, if only because I got an email from the board telling me about your posting!

Benifa, are you saying that you are getting no emails from the board? OR just some?
John

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:14 am

John wrote:Benifa, are you saying that you are getting no emails from the board? OR just some?
Hi John.

I haven't got a single email from immigrationboards.com for at least 4 days, approx. Until, that is, the email notification I just received, to tell me about your reply above!

Bizarre really, as, looking through the boards, there have been numerous replies prior to yours above, on other threads, of which I have not received an email notification.

I don't have any logical explanation for it.

John

Post by John » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:05 am

I haven't got a single email from immigrationboards.com for at least 4 days, approx. Until, that is, the email notification I just received, to tell me about your reply above!
Strange, and I have no explanation. My "torrent" of emails dried up on the 9th and didn't resume until the 11th, after Administrator had put the fix in place. But since then I do not detect a problem at all.
John