ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marrying an italian...thousand of questions, please any help

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

paolarahme
Newly Registered

Marrying an italian...thousand of questions, please any help

Post by paolarahme » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:35 pm

hello there,
Im a mexican citizen marrying an italian next year in Taranto. We are in the process of obtaining the Nulla Osta and organizing the wedding at the comune. However, once I have traveled to Italy (in Sept.) i'm not coming back to Mexico, therefore I want to make sure I'm bringing all required documentation I may need....and I have sooo many questions! please help, I've joined other forums but I'm stil waiting for approval to post!!
-Once we are married, the permesso di sioggorno will allow me to work ONLY in italy, or can I seek job in the UK as well/
-I work onboard cruise ships, how long can I be oustide Italy with my new status?
-WHERE do I arrange the documentation to change my legal status from turist to wife?
-how long before I can apply for a resident permit in Italy after the wedding? with this permit, would I be able to travel around the EU like any other italian citizenship?if not what are my limitations?
-If we both work abroad, will this affect my immigration status and my process to obtain an italian citinzeship in the future/
I know the questions may sound silly, but its very frustating trying to understand the immigration rules, when you barely speak the language and when you are in the other side of the world!!
So any help its honestly a light in this very dark and confusing process I'm going thru!
All the best and many, many thanks!
Grazie!! Gracias! thank you!

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:38 pm

This post should be moved to the Europe forum. You'd probably get more answers there!

caribbeangeorge
Newly Registered

Post by caribbeangeorge » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:47 pm

paolarahme wrote: marrying an Italian next year in Taranto
As you marry in Italy you have to do nothing anymore, otherwise you have to produce the same paper as before to legalize your marriage in Italy.
After legalization you are considered family member of an EU citizen.
As such, you have the same rights as your husband in regards of living and working. No permits required.
paolarahme wrote: -Once we are married, the permesso di sioggorno will allow me to work ONLY in italy, or can I seek job in the UK as well/
Theoretically everywhere in EU and Schengen
paolarahme wrote: -I work onboard cruise ships, how long can I be oustide Italy with my new status?
A tricky one. Indefinitely. Leave yourself registered in Italy, you have to pay then taxes on your income, but you have a country of residence.
paolarahme wrote: -WHERE do I arrange the documentation to change my legal status from turist to wife?
I hope for you that you applied for a bride visa and not for a tourist visa.
The marriage could be denied with a tourist visa (not in general, but could) the bride visa gives you legal rights to stay after marriage until legalization of the marriage - and this could takes months.
With a tourist visa you might being forced for deportation when the visa expires.
2nd the paper work is different for bride and tourist visa.
Like for the bride visa you have to produce your birth certificate, for a tourist visa not. However, later these documents will be missing and therefore your marriage legalization will take longer = don't take a short cut with the visas - you'll pay back later as they still want these documents from you in any case. Same for police record and other required docs. If the authorities feel cheated they delay you paperwork to pay you back!!!
paolarahme wrote: -how long before I can apply for a resident permit in Italy after the wedding?
You don't have to apply for the residence permit with the bride visa.
paolarahme wrote: -how long before I can apply for a resident permit in Italy after the wedding? with this permit, would I be able to travel around the EU like any other italian citizenship?if not what are my limitations?
The Italian marriage certificate is your "residence permit". As long as you married you will get the "permesso di sioggorno" every year until Italian passport. This is like have a one year Schengen visa.

Hope this helps a bit

paolarahme
Newly Registered

Just saying thanks

Post by paolarahme » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:58 pm

omg, thanks a bunch! You had really clarify many of my doubts.
u're a star...

joeypotter4u
Newly Registered

marryin an italian?

Post by joeypotter4u » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:59 am

I appreciate it so much you sharing things about these...

Do you think its ok if a woman will come to italy to marry her italian bf...or have bf come to visit his gf in the Philippines?

Italy offers tourist and business visa only...no fiance visa..is it true that they have register marriage before meeting? how long will this take?

Living in Italy is quite expensive...not to mention language barrier...do u know any work doesnt need to know language?

If ever i want to learn the language, is it costly to study? how hard it is to learn the language?

i hope i can hear responses here.

thanks you all in advance

satishbhawra53
Newly Registered

Post by satishbhawra53 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:41 pm

Im a mexican citizen marrying an italian next year in Taranto. We are in the process of obtaining the Nulla Osta and organizing the wedding at the comune.

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Please, Caribbeangeorge, if you do not know the answers, please do not post misleading information! We are not here to get people into trouble, but to help them.

There is not such thing as a BRIDE VISA for Schengen countries and yes, marriage is permitted for Mexicans even WITHOUT a visa, as they may travel in the Schengen area for up to 90 days without one. All that is needed is a stamp on the passport stating the date of arrival.

As soon as the marriage certificate is ready you should apply for a CARTA DI SOGGIORNO (valid for 5 years) and not a Permesso di soggiorno at the closest Questura.

You are considered an EEA family member as soon as you are married and not when the CDS is ready.

Taxes do not come into the validity of the CDS. You do, however, need to be present in Italy for a certain amount of time in the first 5 years. You must be present during the the time the request is pending, as they might come along to your house to see if you really live together. If they come and do not find you they might stop the whole process.

Italian citizenship can be requested by the spouse after 2 years of marriage and residence in Italy.
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

newyorkdd
Newly Registered

Post by newyorkdd » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:05 am

Try in Europe forum. You'd probably get more answers there!
Last edited by newyorkdd on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:29 pm

There are two posters adding SEO Spam. satishbhawra53 and Newyorkdd. Maybe they could be removed from the forum?

I hope the original OP's wedding went well and she is enjoying life in Europe!