ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sing672
Newly Registered

Visitor Visa

Post by sing672 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:39 pm

Hi, I am working in Singapore and want to apply for UK visitor visa, my intended stay is 5-6 months. My brother stays in UK and is sending a sponsorship letter for me.

Please advise whether should I show my status as "Working" or "housewife". Will choosing working help in getting long term visa or vice versa.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

regards
MG

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:18 pm

I don't want to sound overly prim, but surely the answer to the question is that you should tell the truth.

If you have a job, you should say so. If not, don't...

Isn't it as simple as that?
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

John

Post by John » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:52 pm

MG, what you don't say is your nationality. Are you sure you actually need to get a visitor's visa?
John

philgeorge999

Re: Visitor Visa

Post by philgeorge999 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:06 pm

sing672 wrote:Hi, I am working in Singapore and want to apply for UK visitor visa, my intended stay is 5-6 months. My brother stays in UK and is sending a sponsorship letter for me.
Please advise whether should I show my status as "Working" or "housewife". Will choosing working help in getting long term visa or vice versa.
If you do actually need a visitor's visa then you will need to demonstrate that you will be returning to Singapore afterwards. Usually a combination of family ties, property and employment evidence are needed to convince them. The best applications will come from people who own a house and have an employers' reference stating that you are permitted X weeks' leave and are expected to return afterwards.

Once thing to remember is that all visitors visas are valid for 6 months, regardless of how long you actually request on the form...

sing672
Newly Registered

Visitor Visa

Post by sing672 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:26 pm

Greetings,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

1) Please advise, does 6 months validity means

a) I can enter in to UK within 6 months of issue of visa OR
b) The stay during the visit to UK can be upto 6 months in single stretch without any extensions.
c) or both a) & b)
d) When does this 6 month duration starts? The day the visa is issued or the day I enter into UK?

2) Does the immigration officer at Heathrow airport has authority to decide the duration of stay in UK?

Looking forward for your reply.

Regards
MG

John

Post by John » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:04 pm

Using your numbering :-

1. the visa will have a start date and an end date. Ordinarily the start date will be the date of issue but you can request a later start date ... a delay of up to 3 months ... and that will obviously also affect the end date as well.
  2. it is multi-entry ... you can enter and leave as many times as you like within the confines of the start date and end date limits.
  3. -
  4. see (a)
2. Well they have the right to cancel the entry but that would be unusual.
John

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:28 pm

1. Visitor visas usually of 6 months minimum duration. However ECO can issue visa with shorter validity e.g. 1 week. Where initial EC is less than 6 months then an extension can be applied for to a max 6 months from the Home Office after entry. The costs of such must be weighed against chances of success since there is often a 'sound' reason by ECO to issue such short validity. Expect the HO to contact the issuing ECO for details.

2. Immigration officer at port of entry has the power to vary EC to shorter or longer duration (to max of 6months). The EC can also be cancelled by the IO though with authorisation from a Chief Immigration Officer or higher level official.

3. A question for the OP - which employer would give you 5-6 months leave of absence?

Good luck

philgeorge999

Post by philgeorge999 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:09 pm

Kayalami wrote:13. A question for the OP - which employer would give you 5-6 months leave of absence?
Unpaid sabbaticals are quite common. My employer grants them.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:47 am

philgeorge999 wrote:Kayalami wrote:
13. A question for the OP - which employer would give you 5-6 months leave of absence?

Unpaid sabbaticals are quite common. My employer grants them.
As an ECO the 'unpaid' component of your response makes it easier to refuse the application on the 'funds to accomodate and maintain' part of the rules..of course it also adds to the subjective 'will return home'..after all if your employer can do without you for 6 months why should the ECO believe your claimed socio economic ties. Further the op's other thread leads me to conclude that there will be difficulty in overcoming the subjectiveness factor...ECO's like certainty....I don't see it here.

ECO's don't like 'free' spirits.....such could see you hanging out in the UK longer than need be...such hanging out needs funding.....likely to lead to working illegally...now if the OP was a bored multi millionaire (in GBP)....!!!