ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 application successful

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jambo
Respected Guru

MN1 application successful

Post by Jambo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:51 am

Hi,

I used this forum to get info about the registration process so here is my share giving back.

NCS or Postal: NCS
Date of submission or posting: 16/09/09
Date of arrival at HO: 17/09/09
CRITERIA - 2 children (age 5,3) under Section 1(3). Parents and children obtained ILR in July 2009.
Date of debit of debit/credit card: 20/09/09 (on a Sunday!)
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 23/09/09 (dated 20/09/09). second class letter
Date of receipt of approval: 02/10/2009 (Certificate dated: 26/09/2009 (a Saturday). letter attached dated: 29/09/09. via first class)

Plan to apply for a passport next week using PO Check and send. Planning to send: children current (non-uk) passports, UK birth certificate, registration certificate, 2 pictures.

Some answers to questions which I believe are asked frequently here:
- NCS application are dealt faster by the HO. Although this is not the official line, I was told by the NCS staff that this is the case.
- Both registration certificates came under my eldest son name in two separate envelopes (delivered together). The certificate format is similar to the short UK birth certificate. There is no photo on it.
- For references I used a family friend who is a British passport holder and our GP (who is also British). If you read carefully the application instructions, I believe only one of the reference (the non-professional manner) needs to be British.

Thanks for your support and good luck to you all.
:D

chakde23

Re: MN1 application successful

Post by chakde23 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:24 am

Jambo,

Congrats ...

Re referees, I am struggling with GP / Health Visitor or Nursery who knows my 20 month baby ....as they do not want to give passport details , home address - any ideas if I can just use two british passport holders as referee ?

Or can referee just sign them with no passport number and nursery address ?

I have receive two different answers from Nationality General Inquiry - hence confused !

Email response says , if I dont have referee - i can give an explanation why there is no referee and an advisor yest said I can ask referees to complete without passport number or home address .

Also can I use any NCS service or it has to be my local authority ?

Jambo wrote:Hi,

I used this forum to get info about the registration process so here is my share giving back.

CRITERIA - 2 children (age 5,3) under Section 1(3). Parents and children obtained ILR in July 2009.
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 23/09/09 (dated 20/09/09). second class letter
Date of receipt of approval: 02/10/2009 (Certificate dated: 26/09/2009 (a Saturday). letter attached dated: 29/09/09. via first class)

Plan to apply for a passport next week using PO Check and send. Planning to send: children current (non-uk) passports, UK birth certificate, registration certificate, 2 pictures.

- NCS application are dealt faster by the HO. Although this is not the official line, I was told by the NCS stuff that this is the case.
- Both registration certificates came under my eldest son name in two separate envelopes (delivered together). The certificate format is similar to the short UK birth certificate. There is no photo on it.
- For references I used a family friend who is a British passport holder and our GP (who is also British). If you read carefully the application instructions, I believe only one of the reference (the non-professional manner) needs to be British.

alexsh1

Post by alexsh1 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:19 pm

- NCS application are dealt faster by the HO. Although this is not the official line, I was told by the NCS stuff that this is the case.

Very interesting...
I have the same experience with NCS.
Application was handed over 19-Aug, but posted on the 2nd Sep as I was travelling and when you apply for BC you have to be in the country for 5 working days. Also HO is checking if you were in the country 5 yrs ago from the date stated in the application. If this is not the case than the application is refused automatically.

Date of submission or posting: 02/09/09
Date of confirmation letter: 12/09/09
Date of the letter confirming my BC was granted: 20/09/09
Date docs are received: 28/09/09

I have to admit I am very impressed with such a quick turnaround.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:03 am

chakde23 wrote:Jambo,

Congrats ...

Re referees, I am struggling with GP / Health Visitor or Nursery who knows my 20 month baby ....as they do not want to give passport details , home address - any ideas if I can just use two british passport holders as referee ?

Or can referee just sign them with no passport number and nursery address ?

I have receive two different answers from Nationality General Inquiry - hence confused !

Email response says , if I dont have referee - i can give an explanation why there is no referee and an advisor yest said I can ask referees to complete without passport number or home address .

Also can I use any NCS service or it has to be my local authority ?

Please note that this is my own view on this matter. I would call the NCS you plan to use and ask as they might view it differently.

- My GP used the clinic address not her home address so you could ask the nursery stuff to do the same.
- Also according to the instruction guide they DON'T need to be British / provide their British passport number. See page 23 in the MN1 guide:
"One referee should be a professional who has engaged with the child in a professional capacity, such as a doctor, teacher, health visitor, social worker or minister of religion.
The other referee must be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25."

mallikz

Post by mallikz » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:21 pm

alexsh1 wrote:

Very interesting...
Application was handed over 19-Aug, but posted on the 2nd Sep as I was travelling and when you apply for BC you have to be in the country for 5 working days. Also HO is checking if you were in the country 5 yrs ago from the date stated in the application. If this is not the case than the application is refused automatically.

Do you mean the parents should finish 5 yrs before i apply Naturalisation for my child on MN1?

keshgrover
Member of Standing

Post by keshgrover » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:00 pm

mallikz wrote:
alexsh1 wrote:

Very interesting...

Do you mean the parents should finish 5 yrs before i apply Naturalisation for my child on MN1?
No its three years. Says in MN1 Guidlines and in Form as well. But still double check.
KESH

John

Post by John » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:10 pm

mallikz wrote:Do you mean the parents should finish 5 yrs before i apply Naturalisation for my child on MN1?
The parents, or at least one of them, needs to be considered "settled" in the UK, for example, by having ILR or its EU-route equivalent of PR.

Exactly how long it will take the parents to get ILR or PR will depend upon exactly what route they are on.

And by the way, form MN1 does not lead to Naturalisation. It leads to Registration, so the child will be issued with a Certificate of Registration as British, not a Certificate of Naturalisation.
keshgrover wrote:No its three years. Says in MN1 Guidlines and in Form as well. But still double check.
That would depend upon the parents' route to ILR or PR.

Let's just go through the order here :-
  • parents with time-limited visas have child born in the UK
  • parents, or at least one of them, later get ILR or PR
  • application can then be made under section 1(3) to Register the child as British.
And note that in these circumstances there is an entitlement for the child to be Registered as British, which is why, in practice, these applications are dealt with so promptly. That is, unlike some other types of application, there is no one needing to exercise discretion to grant the application.
John

keshgrover
Member of Standing

Post by keshgrover » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:28 pm

John wrote:
mallikz wrote:Do you mean the parents should finish 5 yrs before i apply Naturalisation for my child on MN1?
The parents, or at least one of them, needs to be considered "settled" in the UK, for example, by having ILR or its EU-route equivalent of PR.

Exactly how long it will take the parents to get ILR or PR will depend upon exactly what route they are on.

And by the way, form MN1 does not lead to Naturalisation. It leads to Registration, so the child will be issued with a Certificate of Registration as British, not a Certificate of Naturalisation.
keshgrover wrote:No its three years. Says in MN1 Guidlines and in Form as well. But still double check.
That would depend upon the parents' route to ILR or PR.

Let's just go through the order here :-
  • parents with time-limited visas have child born in the UK
  • parents, or at least one of them, later get ILR or PR
  • application can then be made under section 1(3) to Register the child as British.
And note that in these circumstances there is an entitlement for the child to be Registered as British, which is why, in practice, these applications are dealt with so promptly. That is, unlike some other types of application, there is no one needing to exercise discretion to grant the application.
Sorry John, I thought OP is talking about absenses. However, I do agree with you 100% on the rest.
KESH

mallikz

Post by mallikz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:42 am

Thanks John.

Therefore once either of the parents got settled or got ILR then the next day itself we can apply for child registration as British on MN1. No need to wait until the parents finished their 5 yrs period. Coz ILR will be given 28 days before 5 yrs.

I hope my question is clear!!

John

Post by John » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:24 am

Coz ILR will be given 28 days before 5 yrs.
Ah I see where you are coming from.

To apply for the born-in-the-UK child's Registration, using form MN1, there is no particular requirement for the parent with ILR to have spent any particular length of time in the UK. Accordingly the MN1 application can be made as soon as ILR issued.
John

mallikz

Post by mallikz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks vmuch John, I'm totally cleared now.

But one more question, from the MN1 guide I found the follwoing lines
=================
This guide assists children who have not yet reached the age of majority (age 18 ) to
become British citizens under the following sections of the British Nationality Act 1981.
Once a child reaches age 18 they will have to apply to naturalise using form and guide AN
==================

Does this mean, again after 18 years the registred child have to do all this what we are doing now? coz the AN form is same for all!!
In that case what is the use of this Rigistration? Or if I include the child when I'm applying for naturalisation? will that make any difference?

John

Post by John » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:39 am

Does this mean, again after 18 years the registred child have to do all this what we are doing now?
Absolutely not! The Registration makes them British .... for life! No need for them to apply for Naturalisation when they are an adult.
John

mallikz

Post by mallikz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 am

Then why the MN1 guide says that "Once a child reaches age 18 they will have to apply to naturalise using form and guide AN"

Any special meaning or significance to this point?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:06 am

mallikz wrote:Then why the MN1 guide says that "Once a child reaches age 18 they will have to apply to naturalise using form and guide AN"

Any special meaning or significance to this point?
Had the same question myself when I read the guide as it is confusing. What the HO meant here is in cases that application is for a child who turns 18 during the process time (i.e the child applies when he is almost 18 ). In those cases the child will need to apply to be naturalised if he reaches 18 before a decision is made.
As John said - Registration is for life once the child is British citizen. It is just a different route to become BC.

John

Post by John » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:14 am

What the HO meant here is in cases that application is for a child who turns 18 during the process time (i.e the child applies when he is almost 18 ). In those cases the child will need to apply to be naturalised if he reaches 18 before a decision is made.
Sorry, I don't think that is right either!

A Registration application, using form MN1, can be made as long as it arrives at UKBA no later than the day before the child's 18th birthday. If it arrives in time it will be processed, even if the decision is made after the 18th birthday. The only difference is that the ex-child will need to be presented with their certificate at a Citizenship Ceremony, if they are then at least 18.

What the UKBA note is trying to say, and admittedly not making very clear, is where a Registration application was not submitted prior to the 18th birthday, then that ex-child will need to apply for their own Naturalisation .... because they are now an adult.
John

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:29 am

I stand corrected.
Thanks John for clarifying it.

mallikz

Post by mallikz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 pm

this is very clear now.

No need for any other applications for BC for the ex-child.

thanks a lot John

John

Post by John » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:10 pm

I actually know of someone whose MN1 form did arrive at UKBA in Liverpool literally the day before their 18th birthday. In respect of an NM1 application, being made "at discretion", so a child born outside the UK, now in the UK legally, there is a requirement to have been in the UK for at least 2 years before submitting the MN1, if now aged 13 or over.

He came to the UK just a few days before his 16th birthday, so the earliest his MN1 could be submitted was just before his 18th birthday.

Fine, Registration application granted, but he did need to attend a Citizenship ceremony to receive his Certificate of Registration (and interestingly they did not charge extra for that ceremony).
John

mallikz

Post by mallikz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am

John wrote:I actually know of someone whose MN1 form did arrive at UKBA in Liverpool literally the day before their 18th birthday. In respect of an NM1 application, being made "at discretion", so a child born outside the UK, now in the UK legally, there is a requirement to have been in the UK for at least 2 years before submitting the MN1, if now aged 13 or over.

He came to the UK just a few days before his 16th birthday, so the earliest his MN1 could be submitted was just before his 18th birthday.

Fine, Registration application granted, but he did need to attend a Citizenship ceremony to receive his Certificate of Registration (and interestingly they did not charge extra for that ceremony).
Hi John,

This information makes me more clear and thanks for your help.

pat grey
Newly Registered

MNI

Post by pat grey » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:44 pm

have got a query regarding child registration under section 1(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981.(using MN1 form)

I have got Indefinite Leave to remain( Permanent Residence Card). My query is that my child was born in Ireland to a Ghanaian women, but due to mental health issue the Irish court gave me a Full Custody of the child who was re-united with me in the UK ( he came to the Uk under the free travel plan between the Irish Govt and the UK Govt hence No passports was required) I will like to know if i can apply for a British Nationality for him using form MNI. The child is 3 yrs now, I have all the court documents from Irish Court and the Social Services report both in the UK and Ireland, I am due to apply for a Naturalization in December 2009.

Could you please assist.

John

Post by John » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:12 pm

So your child was born outside the UK, in fact in the Republic of Ireland?
he came to the Uk under the free travel plan between the Irish Govt and the UK Govt hence No passports was required
What nationality is the child? Ghanaian? Anything else?

Are you saying that you did not obtain a Child Settlement visa for the child to come to the UK?

What there is absolutely not is a lack of need for visas between the UK and Republic. So there is a possibility that your child is not legally in the UK. Which might impact upon any claim for British Citizenship for your child.
John

pat grey
Newly Registered

MNI

Post by pat grey » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:31 pm

You are right, i did not obtain any visa for him to come to the UK, i will say that he is a Ghanaian since he was not given any Irish Passport before coming here to reside with me...should i send him to Ghana and then apply for him to join me here as i have full custody.

John

Post by John » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:00 pm

So you are from Ghana? The child's mother is from Ghana? Before the birth of the child, how long had either of you lived in the Republic of Ireland?

And how old was the child when brought to the UK? And indeed, when was the child born?

Let's explore all angles here, and hopefully cut out the need to go back to Ghana to apply for the visa. (But possibly a trip to Ireland to apply?)

But again, was the child born in the Republic of Ireland? Or in Northern Ireland? Or where?
John

pat grey
Newly Registered

MNI

Post by pat grey » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:56 pm

The Child was born in the Rep of Ireland ( Limerick) and has been in the UK for two year now. The Mum was in Ireland for a year prio to the birth of the child, i have not live in ireland before, but have gone there for visit on a few times..

pat grey
Newly Registered

Post by pat grey » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:58 pm

The Child was 1 year when he come to the UK, we are both Ghanaian