ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 year rule

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

joy_kavee

10 year rule

Post by joy_kavee » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:07 am

Hi

My wife will soon complete her 10 years legal stay in the Uk . Am her dependant but have been in the Uk for only 4 years.

I heard that if she is applying indefinte stay based on 10 year rule,dependant can't apply?

what is the procedure for 10 year rule?

If she does get her indefinte stay, how to i apply to be her dependant?

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:08 am

Your wife needs to apply for ILR on her own by using SET(O) form. then you need to apply , i think by using FLR(M) form, need the homeoffice website. Basically you need to apply for further leave to remain for 2yrs as her dependent and then apply for ILR.

haha

Post by haha » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:44 pm

That's right. If your wife is applying ILR based on 10yrs long residence, her dependents cannot apply along with her.

One way to find the rules: When you download the application form, you will see a guide to be downloaded too. Everything is on the guide.

>>If she does get her indefinte stay, how to i apply to be her dependant?
I consulted a solicitor on this question a while ago. You cannot do this in the UK. You'd have to go back to your home country and change your Visa to be the dependent Visa there.

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:30 pm

haha,

who so ever told you that he has to go back, is 100% incorrect. He is already on dependent and he will still be on dependent visa. NEVER TRUST TOTALLY ON SOLICITOR. USE YOUR OWN BRAIN ALSO.

He does not need to go back to his home country to apply. One of my friend was in the same situation and he did it from within country and that is also recently.

haha

Post by haha » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:26 pm

>> If she does get her indefinte stay, how to i apply to be her dependant?

Sorry just by reading this, I thought you were not her dependent and you would like to be her dependent.

If you are her dependent now, your status won't change.

If you are not her dependent now and want to be her dependent. All I know is that from the solicitor, which can be incorrect.