ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When is the earliest one can apply for FLR

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Master_Blaster

When is the earliest one can apply for FLR

Post by Master_Blaster » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:48 am

Hi, My HSMP expires on 24-Jan-2010. When is the earliest that I can apply for my Further Leave to Remain?

Thanks in advance

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:56 am

hi master_blaster,

There has been a lot of discussion on this on the forum, and the general consensus is that you can apply for extension anytime.

However if you are applying more than 6-7 months before expiry it may be a good idea to mention the reason for early application in your cover letter.

I applied 3 months early and have not mentioned anything in my cover letter.

One definite risk you run in such cases, is that the visa can be granted from the date of application processing rather than from the date of expiry of the current visa, as happened to speedsven here:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=46464

But thats one risk we have to take as if we apply too close to expiry and get the decision after expiry, we cannot make a fresh application in case the extension is rejected on some ground.

So take your pick!!
Challenges make life worth it!

Master_Blaster

Thanks

Post by Master_Blaster » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:47 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I will apply around the 10th of November so that I can get it back this year itself.

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:04 pm

No problem master_blaster.

Thats a good enough time to be applying, as it is sufficiently before the December downtime starts.

Good luck!

alladin

Re: When is the earliest one can apply for FLR

Post by alladin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Master_Blaster wrote:Hi, My HSMP expires on 24-Jan-2010. When is the earliest that I can apply for my Further Leave to Remain?

Thanks in advance
Hello, you should be fine without any reasons too., but if you could put any, there will be no harm.

I extended last week when my actual expiry was March. Although I gave a reason, they were not interested in seeing that.

Also, I believe you would be aware about the form to be used is Tier 1 general form. Its not FLR.

thanks
alladin

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:12 pm

Hello, you should be fine without any reasons too., but if you could put any, there will be no harm.
The way I see it if you are not applying too much in advance, mentioning this fact in the cover letter will only attract undue attention to the fact that you are not following the HO guideline of applying 28 days before the visa expires.
I extended last week when my actual expiry was March. Although I gave a reason, they were not interested in seeing that.
Sorry for being really picky but how do you know that:).
Also, I believe you would be aware about the form to be used is Tier 1 general form. Its not FLR.
Thats a good tip!

Master_Blaster

Thanks

Post by Master_Blaster » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Thanks Alladin and InUKONHSMP.

Alladin, just wanted to check that you got your visa validity period from March 2010 and not starting from now..

alladin

Post by alladin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:09 pm

InUkOnHsmp wrote:
The way I see it if you are not applying too much in advance, mentioning this fact in the cover letter will only attract undue attention to the fact that you are not following the HO guideline of applying 28 days before the visa expires.
Sorry for being really picky but how do you know that:).
Thats a good tip!
:-) ., Well this "too much in advance" is the contentious issue before us. The case worker on seeing my explanation in the cover letter told me that for hsmp visa, the extension is given from the expiry. (mine was at PEO). He told me that he will check again and got back to me in some 20 min and told that the extension will be from the expiry of the current visa.

My visa is from March,2010 and issued this month.

thanks,
alladin