ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mashk
Newly Registered

Applying for passport

Post by mashk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:15 pm

Hello,

Just booked my Life in the UK test. Whilst searching for test centres I came across this
Life in the UK Test training course in London, Coventry, Luton and Birmingham. At ITA (Intelligent Training Academy) we teach you an English Lanugage Course which lasts 4 to 5 days for ESOL with Citizenship. Please note that, in this course you do not have to read or write not even in your test. The ESOL Citizenship training and test is only on listening and speaking. We are registered with the English Speaking Board (ESB), who are accepted and recognized by the Home Office.

The Life in the UK Test in East London. The certificate is registered and recognized. After passing the listening and speaking test you will get a Nationally recognized certificate. We will also give you a confirmation letter for the Home Office confirming that, you have done the ESOL Entry Level course with the Citizenship Context. With these two documents you are ready to apply for your Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, Naturalization or British Nationality. You can use the same certificate for both for your Indefinite Stay application and after that for your British Passport application. With this you do not have to do computer based Life in the UK Test.
Is the bolded bit right? Without passing the Life in the UK citizenship test and without being at ESOL level 3, it's possible to apply for a passport?

Thanks for your help

taliska

Re: Applying for passport

Post by taliska » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:25 pm

mashk wrote:Hello,

Just booked my Life in the UK test. Whilst searching for test centres I came across this
Life in the UK Test training course in London, Coventry, Luton and Birmingham. At ITA (Intelligent Training Academy) we teach you an English Lanugage Course which lasts 4 to 5 days for ESOL with Citizenship. Please note that, in this course you do not have to read or write not even in your test. The ESOL Citizenship training and test is only on listening and speaking. We are registered with the English Speaking Board (ESB), who are accepted and recognized by the Home Office.

The Life in the UK Test in East London. The certificate is registered and recognized. After passing the listening and speaking test you will get a Nationally recognized certificate. We will also give you a confirmation letter for the Home Office confirming that, you have done the ESOL Entry Level course with the Citizenship Context. With these two documents you are ready to apply for your Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, Naturalization or British Nationality. You can use the same certificate for both for your Indefinite Stay application and after that for your British Passport application. With this you do not have to do computer based Life in the UK Test.
Is the bolded bit right? Without passing the Life in the UK citizenship test and without being at ESOL level 3, it's possible to apply for a passport?

Thanks for your help
mask not too sure if I understand your question but will have a stab at it.

It's simple. If you are not born a citizen of the UK, at present you have to do the Life in the UK test or an English for speakers of foreign language course and test which has a part which covers the similar things like the life in the Uk test would have(this is called in your quote Citizenship Context). There is no way to get around having to do one of these.

You cannot apply for a passport if you were not born in the to British parents of parents who have ILR or you have some type of British Citizenship, which it sounds like you don't.

You would therefore have to do the life in the UK test, then apply for Indefinite Leave to remain in the UK(also called permanent residence or settlement) and then apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen, before you can apply for a British Passport(which is a travel document and NOT citizenship and only citizens can apply for a British Passport).

If you already have Indefinite Leave to remain(ILR), but have never done the life in the UK test you would Have to do the Life in the UK test, then apply for naturalisation(UK Citizenship) and once this was granted you can then apply for a passport

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:49 pm

Book a test, applying for a passport? Are you UK citizen already that you are applying for a passport? Test is for people applying for nationality not passport. ESOL is a school where less english speaking people enroll until they become almost fluent in english language, with the certificate they don't have to take test anymore.

haha

Post by haha » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:35 pm

You only need to study 4 chapters to pass the test - no tricky questions. Trust me, it is much easier than passing a driving test in the UK.

mashk
Newly Registered

Post by mashk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:31 pm

parvus1202 wrote:Book a test, applying for a passport? Are you UK citizen already that you are applying for a passport? Test is for people applying for nationality not passport. ESOL is a school where less english speaking people enroll until they become almost fluent in english language, with the certificate they don't have to take test anymore.
:oops:

Sorry, I was jumping ahead of myself. Basically, I've got indefinite leave to remain and I'm doing the life in the Uk test so I can be gain British citizenship, with the ultimate goal being to get a British passport.

It's just that I thought the only way to gain citizenship was to either pass the Life in the Uk test or to have a certificate saying you're at ESOL level 3.

But the information I posted above, seemed to suggest this wasn't the case.

taliska

Re: Applying for passport

Post by taliska » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:51 pm

taliska wrote: If you already have Indefinite Leave to remain(ILR), but have never done the life in the UK test you would Have to do the Life in the UK test, then apply for naturalisation(UK Citizenship) and once this was granted you can then apply for a passport
Thanks for clearing that up, However the above will be what you need to do now. Good luck

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:56 pm

If you go for the ESOL option you don't have to reach level 3. You have to progress from one level to the next. i.e level 1 to level 2, or 2 to 3.

mashk
Newly Registered

Post by mashk » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Casa wrote:If you go for the ESOL option you don't have to reach level 3. You have to progress from one level to the next. i.e level 1 to level 2, or 2 to 3.
Just to clarify then, is the blurb in my original post inaccurate?
The certificate is registered and recognized. After passing the listening and speaking test you will get a Nationally recognized certificate. We will also give you a confirmation letter for the Home Office confirming that, you have done the ESOL Entry Level course with the Citizenship Context. With these two documents you are ready to apply for your Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, Naturalization or British Nationality.
As this implies, all you need is ESOL level 1 to apply. Which let's face it, literally anybody could get.
[/quote]

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Taking the ESOL option, you could for example study level 1 and then once you've completed it you've progressed to level 2...satisfying the requirements for ILR or Citizenship. Generally speaking the ESOL courses are lengthy and not cheap. If you're considering one of the ESOL courses which promise a certificate within a few days, make sure the 'college' or examining body is accepted by the Home Office.

mashk
Newly Registered

Post by mashk » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:45 pm

Casa wrote:Taking the ESOL option, you could for example study level 1 and then once you've completed it you've progressed to level 2...satisfying the requirements for ILR or Citizenship. Generally speaking the ESOL courses are lengthy and not cheap. If you're considering one of the ESOL courses which promise a certificate within a few days, make sure the 'college' or examining body is accepted by the Home Office.

It's not for me. I'd like to think my English is better than level 3. :lol:

However, a friend of mine was telling me about these courses and I was pretty sceptical. Especially the bit about not having to do any sort of written English test, yet being able to apply for indefinite leave and citizenship.

Seems as if I was wrong then.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:52 pm

It is right about not having to cover reading and writing...as strange as it may seem. The course has to include Citizens content and speaking and listening. I'd be as sceptical as you though about a course that enables you to progress from one level to the next in just a few days.