ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PSW, 10 yrs student visa naturalisation, Work permit?

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vicenka1
Newly Registered

PSW, 10 yrs student visa naturalisation, Work permit?

Post by vicenka1 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:43 am

Hi all,
In view of the current changes to the immigrations rules, please I need some advise. I will be an Engineering BEng(Hons) graduate in 2010 and my current student visa expires in NOV 2010, by then i would have lived here on a student visa for 7 years continuously going through A levels in college, and now university. I am 23, and love living and want stay longer in the UK, all my friends, cousins etc are here
1) could I continue studying to a PG, MSc, PHD to make up 10 yrs to naturalise by 2013?? what are the rules concerning this...
2) the option of PSW seems appealing but does it count towards the 10 yrs
3) If I do get a work permit, after how many yrs would it be possible to apply for naturalisation,ILR or residency.

Pls, any response would be much appreciated. Thankyou

tuliprose
Member of Standing

Re: PSW, 10 yrs student visa naturalisation, Work permit?

Post by tuliprose » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:31 am

1. Yes, you can do PG, MSc or PH.D to make up 10 years in Total.

2. PSW counts towards 10 years ILR rule. Any legal stay including, student & PSW counts in this catorgery.

3. If you manage to get sponsored work permit then after 5 years you can apply for Indefinite Visa.

vignette

Post by vignette » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:12 am

Just to mention - no work permits any more. It's Tier 2 skilled worker. You would need a masters to qualify for T1 General.

vicenka1
Newly Registered

Post by vicenka1 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:06 pm

Hello friends, I telephoned a Law advise center, and a lady told me that the 10-year rule will be stopped in 2011, by then I would have been hear for 8 yrs, she said that it is in the UK Immigration legislation, and it will be announced soon.
This will definitely affect my plans. So unlucky! what should i do now??

vinata

Post by vinata » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Until after it is announced there is no point to worry. It is likely the rule itself is going to be tranformed, however, it is also likely that it will become part of the points based system with the same meaning.

Nobody knows what is going to happen, so don't worry about it at the moment. If you can, try to switch to another category of visa holder and then wait to see what happens next.

vicenka1
Newly Registered

Post by vicenka1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 pm

Hi friends, Are there any new rules for PSW? With the new LibCon govt in office there might be major changes soon, does anyone have any info pls?