ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help!!! Pregnant

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

newJoiner
Newly Registered

Help!!! Pregnant

Post by newJoiner » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:51 pm

Hi,
My husband and I are moving to the UK at the end o December, I will be 8 months pregnant then. I can't get any private policy to cover maternity abroad at this stage. I am an Austrian citizen (EEA). Will I have any trouble getting public health care (meaning book with a hospital for birth and all)? Anybody familiar with the process? Please advise.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Help!!! Pregnant

Post by Wanderer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:54 pm

newJoiner wrote:Hi,
My husband and I are moving to the UK at the end o December, I will be 8 months pregnant then. I can't get any private policy to cover maternity abroad at this stage. I am an Austrian citizen (EEA). Will I have any trouble getting public health care (meaning book with a hospital for birth and all)? Anybody familiar with the process? Please advise.
I doubt they'll let u fly at 8 months pregnant.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

prettypolitical

Post by prettypolitical » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:29 pm

You need to check with the airline as this can differ from each one some by 4 weeks!!! some let you travel up to 32 weeks some 34and some 36weeks.....
???REUNITED???

newJoiner
Newly Registered

Post by newJoiner » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:59 am

Already checked, no problem with the airline, I will be 34 weeks and coming from Ireland, that's ok.
My question was on health care and giving birth in the UK - Can someone please advise? Thanks!

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:49 am

newJoiner wrote:Already checked, no problem with the airline, I will be 34 weeks and coming from Ireland, that's ok.
My question was on health care and giving birth in the UK - Can someone please advise? Thanks!
After you land in UK you have to register with GP. Since you will be coming to UK at the last stage of your pregnancy you have to carry all your medical history with you so that doctors here can quickly grasp it. You dont need to have any insurance as NHS is free.

This is my personal opinion, It may be risky not just to travel at the last stage but also changing the whole medical team( Doctors and clinic where you usually have your scans and check up done) who dont know any thing about you and just have to depend on the medical records you provide.

newJoiner
Newly Registered

Thanks, that's a relief!!!

Post by newJoiner » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:31 am

Sad to say, but I can hardly call the public maternity care here in Ireland 'medical team'. It's a joke.
Seen a doctor twice since the beginning of my pregnancy, was scanned once (6 minutes sharp). They took a blood sample at 13 weeks and never found it... I'm pretty much my own doctor here.
Anything to replace this so called 'team' would be an upgrade... if anyone is planning on giving birth in Ireland - Go private!!!