ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help needed: tips to get a job in the UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sasawat
Newly Registered

Help needed: tips to get a job in the UK

Post by sasawat » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:01 am

guys, need your help here. I've been living under tier 1 visa for almost 6 months already. I've been applying so many jobs, specifically engineering field, yet no replies, hopelessly. My qualification is considerable, got master degree in economics, 3 years experience in engineering field in major consumer product company. Can anyone, especially successful folks, advise any tips to succeed in getting a good job? thank you so much guys.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Help needed: tips to get a job in the UK

Post by Wanderer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:15 am

sasawat wrote:guys, need your help here. I've been living under tier 1 visa for almost 6 months already. I've been applying so many jobs, specifically engineering field, yet no replies, hopelessly. My qualification is considerable, got master degree in economics, 3 years experience in engineering field in major consumer product company. Can anyone, especially successful folks, advise any tips to succeed in getting a good job? thank you so much guys.
It's bad out there mate, u just gotta hang in there and the worst thing u want is a huge gap on ur cv. I suggest finding odd bits urself, there's not much of that either but get on LinkedIn, etc and at least have something blaggable to put on ur cv to cover the gap.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

sajidzaidi

Post by sajidzaidi » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:59 am

There are so many job openings on the net?

If there are no jobs, they wouldn't be there?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:54 pm

sajidzaidi wrote:There are so many job openings on the net?

If there are no jobs, they wouldn't be there?
Don't u listen/read?

sajidzaidi

Post by sajidzaidi » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:20 pm

not a matter of listen / read. it is a matter of belief

I have spent around 3 years and over Rs100,000 on this issue. Now some one tells me that its not simply there

too difficult to accept

mhkhan

Re: Help needed: tips to get a job in the UK

Post by mhkhan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:40 pm

[quote="sasawat"]guys, need your help here. I've been living under tier 1 visa for almost 6 months already. I've been applying so many jobs, specifically engineering field, yet no replies, hopelessly. My qualification is considerable, got master degree in economics, 3 years experience in engineering field in major consumer product company. Can anyone, especially successful folks, advise any tips to succeed in getting a good job? thank you so much guys.[/quote]

Sasawat,
I am also not in IT and am in the similar situation like you. Just wanted to ask, how has the feedback been from your recruiters. Their feedback should give u a fair idea about your chances.

I have been patient still and took it step by step. First continued getting rejection from recruiters and employers till i got the breakthrough of meeting the recruiters directly. The meeting gave them the impression as i was a genuine candidate, got registered on their database and started a followup with them. Just few weeks ago, the recruiters finally got the jobs suiting my profile and have started floating my CV to employers. Now I am keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for "that" phone call.
Stay positive and if u can survive December then 2010 will have to be better than 2009.

Good luck.

Markie

Post by Markie » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:17 am

sometimes it also boils down to good old lady luck. business rise and fall. you have spent so much time and effort just to see the failure... just keep trying.
sajidzaidi wrote:not a matter of listen / read. it is a matter of belief
I have spent around 3 years and over Rs100,000 on this issue. Now some one tells me that its not simply there
too difficult to accept

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:00 am

I think u guys shud look for direct employer jobs rather than via an agent.
I never met any agent to get any call.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:44 pm

too difficult to accept
Ok.

There are millions unemployed, there are jobs out there but they are going to people already here, people with UK experience, people without time-limited visas. But there are few and far between.

My friendly agent tells me for each role advertised on average he gets 200 applications. Five of those will be really good, local, experienced people so what would you do?

roopscisco

Post by roopscisco » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:27 pm

Wanderer wrote:

too difficult to accept
Ok.

There are millions unemployed, there are jobs out there but they are going to people already here, people with UK experience, people without time-limited visas. But there are few and far between.

My friendly agent tells me for each role advertised on average he gets 200 applications. Five of those will be really good, local, experienced people so what would you do?
Hey

Just wondering Does this agent talk to 200 Applicants to make his /her decesion as " Five of those will be really good " ? How ? Base on what criteria ?

i m pretty sure that is not the case. But i have been watching the job openings via internet are FAKE. Very few you can count as real ones. .

Thanks.
Roopscisco.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:10 am

roopscisco wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

too difficult to accept
Ok.

Hey

Just wondering Does this agent talk to 200 Applicants to make his /her decesion as " Five of those will be really good " ? How ? Base on what criteria ?

i m pretty sure that is not the case. But i have been watching the job openings via internet are FAKE. Very few you can count as real ones. .

Thanks.
People applying online are applying for jobs regardless of whether or not they've got the qualifications or experience asked for in the advertisement. Go and have a look on monster, some jobs had over 600 applications.

A lot of online jobs that are advertised don't actually exist or have 'already been filled'. If an agent likes your CV then they usually phone you up, if they don't like the look of it then you'll just get an email saying thanks but no thanks.

Idea

Post by Idea » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:47 am

sasawat

I'm working in a non-IT field ..(luckily successful) and only suggestion i can think of is.

Be flexible with your job role. Be prepared to step down a level or 2. apply for specifically working level jobs a level down with your CV modified to match the job role (ie. stress on working level experience rather than admin responsiblites)

keep in mind after u gain some uk experience things will be totally different...

Markie

Post by Markie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:06 am

Agree 100%. be very flexible.
Idea wrote:sasawat

I'm working in a non-IT field ..(luckily successful) and only suggestion i can think of is.

Be flexible with your job role. Be prepared to step down a level or 2. apply for specifically working level jobs a level down with your CV modified to match the job role (ie. stress on working level experience rather than admin responsiblites)

keep in mind after u gain some uk experience things will be totally different...

sujyo

Post by sujyo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:38 pm

Let me know if anyone is in IT. Pl PM me. I would try to help...

gulgon

Post by gulgon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:46 am

I would suggest to apply for entry level jobs to make a start from somewhere at least. Then after a year, you can apply for senior jobs...