ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET M - Waiting times

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cass12
Newly Registered

Re: unbelievable

Post by cass12 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:02 pm

darsh wrote:hello guys believe me or not but,

sent my wife's set(M) by post sp delivery on 31st oct 2009,
they received on 2nd nov 2009,
money gone out on 10th nov 2009,
received all document including passport on 20th nov 2009,
date of issue on passport 17th nov 2009.

fantastic service :) :) :) :D
That's good news for darsh, but what is going on? I thought mine was a very straightforward case, but it just drags on and on -- 12 weeks now.

My details are:
Posted: 3 Sept
Received by HO: 4 Sept
Acknowledgement letter from HO dated 6 September.
Nothing since.

Is anyone else still hanging out there after a long time?

shani US citizen
Newly Registered

Post by shani US citizen » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:50 pm

cass12 wrote:Can someone who has received their passport back with ILR let me know if it came via regular post, or did you have to sign for it? Thanks.
Hello,
Received my ILR today. I knew it was coming but the delivery times they give were from 9am to 6pm and I had to work. I thought I could pick it up locally the next day but ended up having to rearrange a delivery date as the locations they give for pick up are not very local and you have to arrange pick up ahead of time. It is something that has to be signed for but mine was sent DX and you can pay an extra £6 for a shorter delivery time frame. You can leave a bank card with someone who can sign for it, which is what I had to do. It took nearly 16 weeks for my ILR to be granted and my case was very straight forward.

shani US citizen
Newly Registered

Post by shani US citizen » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:51 pm

buzz_killington wrote:Hi,

Guys, need an advice.

I sent my wife's application around two weeks ago. Obviously had to include my passport.
I've got a situation now and need my passport back before Wednesday next week.
Any point in contacting the HO for my passport? I would've thought it shouldn't affect my wife's application but would they return it right away?

The only other option I've got is to get a new passport which will cost me £130.

Any thoughts?
If you are a British citizen you can request your passport to be sent back to you but it can take 10 days.

charliegal

Post by charliegal » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Hi all, applied for SET M 04.08.09. Got asked for additional documents, received ILR today!!!! So happy! The ILR is dated 17.11.09. The process took alot longer than i had anticipated but cannot describe how relieved I now am!

Thanks to everyone who has helped and suppported me, I really appreciate it :)

Best of luck for those still waiting - it will come! Congratulations to those who have got theirs xxx

MsKay

Set M Application

Post by MsKay » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi All

Applied for Set M on 26 Sept
Recieved by the Ho 28 Sep
Ack letter recieved 30 Sep

Currenty in my 9th week of waiting.

I recieved some very sad news from home and would like to travel back before christmas to be with my family, I called HO today and spoke to a nice lady who informed me that my application is currently being processed in Sheffield and if i had urgent travel needs should fax them to ask if they could expedite my case.

Has anyone had their application expidited by faxing a request. Also for those who have been granted ILR where was the visa processed (Sheffield, Croydon etc)

Thanks Guys

Kay09
Newly Registered

set(m) application

Post by Kay09 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi All,

Just want to share my experience.

I sent in My SET(M) by postal application on 22/09/09
Acknowledgement Letter dated 24/09/09
Money taken on 25/09/09

ILR issued 30/11/09 with letter from HO dated 30/11/09
More or less when we expect it to be back.

Kay09
Newly Registered

Re: Set M Application

Post by Kay09 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:00 pm

MsKay wrote: Has anyone had their application expidited by faxing a request. Also for those who have been granted ILR where was the visa processed (Sheffield, Croydon etc)

Thanks Guys
Sorry to hear about your situation.

My ILR was sent from Sheffield so I supposed that was where it was processed. Hope that helps.

Good Luck.

Kay09
Newly Registered

Post by Kay09 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:05 pm

cass12 wrote: Could someone who has received their ILR let me know if it came via regular post, or by a delivery service? Thanks.
Hi, my ILR came via Royal Mail Recorded Signed For.

I actually paid for a 'Royal Mail Next Day Delivery' Envelope
and enclosed it with my postal application, but it was never used.
The envelope was returned to me in the same package.

MsKay

Post by MsKay » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Congrats Kay09

Enjoy your freedom and all the best.

MsKay

buzz_killington
Newly Registered

Post by buzz_killington » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:40 pm

Paulhino and shani - Thanks a lot guys. Fortunately, I'm not gonna need my passport for another month or so after all. I'll wait for another 15-20 days and then try to request it.

I'm really surprised that it's taking them so long to process these applications. I had no idea that it's so bad. When we did the initial 2 year one it took around 20 days or so. In my naivety I thought as she's 'in the system' now it would take around the same time if not less. I knew about the premium service but we just thought why pay extra £200 if they do it fairly quickly anyway.

Now that I've gone through your posts on this forum I don't feel comfortable at all. Fair enough, I can request my passport but what about my wife? A month or so is acceptable as far as I'm concerned but what if it's gonna take them 3 months or 6 months as some of the posts here suggest.

What are they trying to achieve? Are they expecting us to withdraw the application and for her to leave the UK? is this what it is? Well if they're trying to discourage people from marrying foreigners they should be doing it at the beginning of this process and not after two people has lived together for two years.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the post. I just feel really angry about the whole thing. I just can't understand how they can justify those sort of time frames like 14 weeks, 6 months. Given the fact that apparently it takes them around 2 hours or so to do it on the same day if you pay extra £200, how come there such a difference in processing times.

Well, we applied in November and I'm not gonna wait for 14 weeks before I go back to them. You place travel restriction on criminals but not on law abiding people. If we don't get back the paperwork before the end of December comes January I will be complaining and raising this issue with the local MP, MEP etc.

shani US citizen
Newly Registered

wait times for ILR

Post by shani US citizen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:49 pm

buzz_killington

I know how you feel. I was so upset I had to cancel flights and miss a wedding that I was supposed to be a bridesmaid in because of the wait times. They are not sympathetic at all to your situation but the thing that annoyed me the most is that if they specified on the actual application that it could take up to 6 months than I would have paid the extra £200. Maybe that's something to raise with the MP because it might save a lot of people all this frustration if they know what they're getting into ahead of time. I too have applied for numerous visas and received them in less than a month so I thought this would be the same. Maybe they get so many applications and since it's "indefinite" they really have to make sure you're legit. I don't know, but it does seem really unfair to charge £820 and say now just wait 6 months.

sanghera1981
Newly Registered

Post by sanghera1981 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:55 pm

My wife sent application on 10/09/09
Acknowledgement letter dated 11/09/09
Money taken 14/09/09

"if there is a problem with the validity of the application, either because of the fee paid or another aspect of the application, a caseworker will write to you as soon as possible to advise what action you need to take to make a valid application".

Why write to us - have they not heard of a telephone - have they not heard of postal strikes have they not heard of email.

About the email - why do they ask for an email on the application - they do not correspond via it.

Anyway I needed my passport back as I am in the process of buying a house:
Called for my passport, drivers licence and childs birth certificate back on 20/11/09 Got these back on 25/11/09

If it takes five minutes to ruffle through my application to get to these documents why didn't they just think hey lets do this application now that we have it in our hands.

Why don't these money grabbers make a track and trace service which will keep people up-to-date. Nonsense people - my wife is missing her brothers wedding so some pencil pusher can make £820 while we wait 0-6 months, lets all live here illegally - they can't arrest us all!!!

james120
Newly Registered

Post by james120 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:38 am

Got mine today after 12 weeks, and exactly the day I predicted 2 months ago having read the posts on here!

Sent 14/09/09
Acknowledgement letter dated 15/09/09
Payment taken 17/09/09
Received passport 04/12/09 via my Special Delivery envelope (they do deliver on Saturdays)
Leave to Remain and letter dated 03/12/09 @ Sheffield

RDB
Newly Registered

Post by RDB » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Anyone worked out the average waiting times?

By the sound of it about 12weeks, is that about right?

cass12
Newly Registered

Post by cass12 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:14 am

RDB wrote:Anyone worked out the average waiting times?

Mine is still out there after 13.5 weeks.

shani US citizen
Newly Registered

Post by shani US citizen » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:37 pm

RDB wrote:Anyone worked out the average waiting times?

Seems about average, although mine took about 16 weeks and I know someone else on here waited 19 weeks.

ibrahim100
Newly Registered

Post by ibrahim100 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Correction

I got my passport back on 03.12.09 15weeks of waiting. ILR stamped on 28.11.09. they sent it Special Delivery with company called (Secure Mail Services).

Good luck to all still waiting.
Last edited by ibrahim100 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MsKay

Post by MsKay » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:36 pm

Congratulations ibrahim100 and all the best for the future.

sanghera1981
Newly Registered

ILR returned

Post by sanghera1981 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:23 pm

Passport received 1 day before my brother-in-laws wedding - what a joke!

Anyway for your information

Applied 10/09/2009
Acknowledged 11/09/2009
Payment 14/09/2009
Passport stamped 03/12/2009
Received passport at home 09/12/2009

For those of you who received there applications back is anything missing - our certificate for the life in the uk and my supporting letter is not here???

marty06
Newly Registered

Post by marty06 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:42 am

buzz_killington wrote:P
Anyway, I'm sorry for the post. I just feel really angry about the whole thing. I just can't understand how they can justify those sort of time frames like 14 weeks, 6 months. Given the fact that apparently it takes them around 2 hours or so to do it on the same day if you pay extra £200, how come there such a difference in processing times.

Well, we applied in November and I'm not gonna wait for 14 weeks before I go back to them. You place travel restriction on criminals but not on law abiding people. If we don't get back the paperwork before the end of December comes January I will be complaining and raising this issue with the local MP, MEP etc.
I'm right with you on this! I've written to my MP and MSP raising the issues that (a) this is a tax on marriage (b)the fee is disproportionate to the actual cost of processing straightforward visas (c) the service provided for such a high figure is lousy; no other business that you paid £820 to would expect you just to wait in the dark for six months without any sort of update or promise (d) it is unacceptable to limit freedom of movement for law abiding citizens/residents for such a long time.

I'd urge everyone else to do the same; even if you've now got your passport back, please take the time to write for the sake of ending this terrible process for others. You can find and email your MP directly from this website: www.writetothem.com

MsKay

Recieved ILR

Post by MsKay » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:54 am

Hi All

Just a brief update:

Applied for SET (M) + 1 Dependent on 26th Sep
recieved by HO on 28th Sep
Money taken from acc 30th Sep

ILR stamped 8th Dec
Recieved 9th Dec

Sent by recorded signed for, from sheffield.

Overall wait 9.5 weeks

The forum really helped in coping with this wait, thank you all.

MsKay

vickivic
Newly Registered

Received ILR Finally!!!!!!!!

Post by vickivic » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:29 pm

I received my passports along with my son both have ILR Stamp
i am relieved

application sent on the 14/08/09
acknowlegement letter received:16/08/09
payment taken :14/08/09
received documents by DX delivery on 30/11/09

cass12
Newly Registered

Re: Received ILR Finally!!!!!!!!

Post by cass12 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:49 pm

vickivic wrote:I received my passports along with my son both have ILR Stamp
i am relieved

application sent on the 14/08/09
acknowlegement letter received:16/08/09
payment taken :14/08/09
received documents by DX delivery on 30/11/09
Congratulations.

For me, it is 14 weeks today, and still nothing. And useless answers when you call them. Quite pathetic.

It appears some are luckier than others. My fear is that they lose some.

vickivic
Newly Registered

Post by vickivic » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:29 am

Think Positive... i was in your shoes i know the feeling i was worried because they took over 14 weeks to process my application. Wish you all the best :)

sanghera1981
Newly Registered

Post by sanghera1981 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:40 pm

Is anyone missing their Life in the UK test certificate from their application pack once getting the stamp? Will we need it to get natralised?