ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

saabu
Newly Registered

Post by saabu » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:35 pm

[quote="sachin_4646"]

My replies in red

1. Can we both send the applications in a single envelope? or We need to send 2 separate envelopes for the return. You can send the applications together with a single self -addressed special delivery envelope for return of your surrender certificates together.
2. Where do you get the postal order? Post office/Bank? What are the charges for the issuance of these postal orders? Get the Postal orders from the Post Office. It will cost £10.00 extra
3. If it's possible to apply together, can a single postal order (£180) be sent instead of 2 separate ones? You can buy one postal order for £180

Regards,

Saabu

sachin_4646

Post by sachin_4646 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:33 pm

Thanks Saabu for the quick reply.

sachin_4646

Post by sachin_4646 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:09 pm

For an SC for a minor,
1. does the application needs to be signed by the parent?
2. does it need thumb impression of the child?

Can anyone help?

indianadr

Post by indianadr » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:49 am

sachin_4646 wrote:For an SC for a minor,

Can anyone help?
Hi Sachin

Yesterday I submitted my SC application along with my son's (12yrs).
I completed and signed his application.

No questions asked at the consulate (CGI Birmingham).

Hope this helps
Mallik

sachin_4646

Post by sachin_4646 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:42 pm

Thank you Malik.

jsingh
Newly Registered

Post by jsingh » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:46 pm

Hello,

I have a question if anybody who has experianced this can answer it.

What do you do if you don't have your Indian passports?

As I understand from the HCILondon, you need a copy of

Naturalisation Certificate
British Passport
Indian Passport
Fee of £90.00 - Cash or Postal

Is this correct?

My Father doesn't have his Indian passport to hand, its been 30years, I don't have mine either.

What do you do in this instance.

Can we still travel, we have Visa's until October 2010. We have only ever used out British Passports, but I am thinking, they might cause us trouble at Delhi?????

Thanks.

denzilv
Newly Registered

Post by denzilv » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:45 pm

Can someone please help me. i travel to india on the 6th of jan. I have had my british passport for a couple of years and have had my indian passport cancelled when i went for my first indian visa.

Do i still have to have a surrendring certificate even though my passport is cancelled? if i do can i send it to CGI Birmingham? there is nothing onthe CGI Birmingham webite about where to send a postal application for this service.

And will i get it back in time to get my visas through VFS. i was talking to an agent and he wants 150£ extra on top of the fees to do this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

jsingh
Newly Registered

Post by jsingh » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:34 pm

I spoke to the HCI London and a Solicitor who deals with immigration (he also provides a Notary service)

I guy I spoke to at the HCI said to me, that if I have lost my cancelled passport, then I would need a "Notarized Affidavit". He didn't go into much about what I needed for it to say.

He also said, that since I have a Visa for India until October 2010, I would not need the SC. But he could not comment if I would or wouldn't bump into any problems here at Heathrow or at Delhi.

It takes 4 days to get your SC in person and 10 days by post.

I recommend going in person.

My local travel agent said he would charge me £30 plus the £90 fee to get it done for me. Which is cheaper than me taking days off and buying a travel card and the hassle of standing in a queue, etc. Downside is I won't be able to ask/answer any questions, or if any paperwork is incomplete, then I am stuck.

The Solicitor that I called, said that technically they would not bother me since I have a visa.

Yes, you do have to get a SC even if your passport has been cancelled, which is stupid in my opinion, all they are doing is making money, they will no doubt make millions of pounds.

If anybody has got this done in person, do they take the FEE first and then check your documents? Or will they check your documents and then take the Fee?

They have no additional information on their website, regarding people who no longer have Indian passports.

I guess its expected of this when it comes to India, its a shame this is happening, whilst the president and PM are clocking up their air miles travelling around the world.... :P

denzilv wrote:Can someone please help me. i travel to india on the 6th of jan. I have had my british passport for a couple of years and have had my indian passport cancelled when i went for my first indian visa.

Do i still have to have a surrendring certificate even though my passport is cancelled? if i do can i send it to CGI Birmingham? there is nothing onthe CGI Birmingham webite about where to send a postal application for this service.

And will i get it back in time to get my visas through VFS. i was talking to an agent and he wants 150£ extra on top of the fees to do this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

indianadr

Post by indianadr » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:47 am

jsingh wrote:If anybody has got this done in person, do they take the FEE first and then check your documents? Or will they check your documents and then take the Fee?
Hi jsingh,

Regarding above point, following is what I observed and asked from me by the conulate guy at the window in Birmingham:

First, he checked all the documentation (mine and my son's) and took the relevant pages, then proceeded to staple all those pages to the self addressed stamped envelope. Placed all this into Indian passport
AND then asked for money. I gave cash and he gave me TWO receipts (for mine and my son's)

Hope this helps

Mallik[/b]

jsingh
Newly Registered

Post by jsingh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:21 am

Thank you very much, that does help.

FYI for everybody, please read this new notice on their website.

http://hcilondon.in/renunciation.php (new)

http://hcilondon.in/notice.php (been there for some time.

At least I know what to do now.
indianadr wrote:
jsingh wrote:If anybody has got this done in person, do they take the FEE first and then check your documents? Or will they check your documents and then take the Fee?
Hi jsingh,

Regarding above point, following is what I observed and asked from me by the conulate guy at the window in Birmingham:

First, he checked all the documentation (mine and my son's) and took the relevant pages, then proceeded to staple all those pages to the self addressed stamped envelope. Placed all this into Indian passport
AND then asked for money. I gave cash and he gave me TWO receipts (for mine and my son's)

Hope this helps

Mallik[/b]

KUMARVK

Surrender of Indian Passport/Citizenship

Post by KUMARVK » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:26 pm

I have to Surrender Indian Passport as per the HIC london application
Enclosures are:
1.Photocopy of British/Foreign Passport.
2.Photocopy of Indian Passport with used visa pages
3.Original Indian Passport
4. Copy of British/Foreign naturalisation certificate
5. £90=00 Crossed Postal order.

Reg 2-Photocopy of Indian Passport with used visa pages

Do they need all pages only used pages?
and what about "expired Indian Passport/s?"

jsingh
Newly Registered

Re: Surrender of Indian Passport/Citizenship

Post by jsingh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Its where the main information is on the passport, according to another rep I spoke to today.

you just have to make sure, than since getting your citizenship you have not travelled on your old passport, if you have, then they will charge you a penalty ranging from £125 upwards to £650 (please check their website for correct amounts).

Its quite interesting to note that a few years back, they were giving indian born NRI's the chance to apply for indian citizenship, my uncle paid nearly £2000 for his. Now they are suddenly enforcing this act and forcing indians to pay for the choice.

I am surprised that none of the Indian media companies have picked up on this.

KUMARVK wrote:I have to Surrender Indian Passport as per the HIC london application
Enclosures are:

indianadr

Re: Surrender of Indian Passport/Citizenship

Post by indianadr » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:50 am

KUMARVK wrote:I have to Surrender Indian Passport as per the HIC london application
Enclosures are:

Hi KUMARVK,

I had stapled my expired (cancelled) Indian passport to my current and submitted both. (Of course, with photocopies of expired and current passports)

You can ignore blank pages in your Indian passport. Take photocopies of all the pages that are non-blank and let them decided.

Hope this helps
Mallik

KUMARVK

Post by KUMARVK » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:21 am

thanks Mallik

sva19

Will this stop people getting Tourist Visa

Post by sva19 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:15 pm

Will this stop people getting Tourist Visa
=========================

My scenario is this - My wife of indian origin , Now got a UK passort and has been to India 2 times on the UK passport.

If she now goes to apply for a india visa will she be told to get a surrender certificate first or not as she already had india visa before ?

Because in the clause on 4 on http://hcilondon.in/renunciation.php
4. Persons of Indian Origin applying for Indian visa for the first time after acquiring foreign nationality are required to first renounce/surrender their Indian passports.

IT state it only affects people applying for indian visa for 1st time????

sva19

Post by sva19 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:05 pm

What happens if the indian passport which was expired is lost.

What is the process of getting the surrender cert, what docs needed and any extra costs?

Anyone any experience of this?

sva19

Post by sva19 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:31 pm

I sent VFS Birmingham the following email and this was the response:-

Email -

Trying to understand the surrender passpor rule - is anyone who had a indian passport in the past need to to surrender their passport and get a Surrender Certificate?

If they do not do the surrender, will they not be give Tourist Indian Visa?

If I No longer have the Indian Passport, what other document would you need to complete the surrender of indian passort form?

Thanks

REPLY -

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your query,

W.e.f. 24th Nov 09, any applicant of Indian origin who has travelled to India before in the current passport or previous passport (British or other than Indian passport), do not require to submit Surrender Certificate. The Surrender Certificate or letter of declaration is required only in cases where the applicant has not travelled to India at all since the naturalisation.

In such cases where the applicants do not posses their old Indian passport or have lost/misplaced it, we can still process their visa applications by taking a self declaration to this effect. The applicant has to mention in the affidavit that he/she do not hold the Indian passport and state the reason whether it’s lost or stolen or submitted to the home office.

Please note that such cases will only be processed for a max of 6months/multiple entry visa even though the applicant is eligible for 5 yrs visa. If they need a 5 yrs visa, then they have to acquire the surrender certificate from the HCI.

Please note - In view of the spread of the Swine Influenza A (H1N1) all passengers traveling to India will be screened at the International Airports in India on their arrival. This will also involve quarantine and even hospitalization, if detected, with any symptoms connected with the flu.

Best Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXX

Information Service Desk

VF Services (UK) Limited

My circumstances is that I have travelled to Indian with my new British passport after naturilisation, so according to the above I do not need to surrender my indian passport?

What you think??

What about when I want to apply for OCI card, does a surrender cert be required then?

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:24 pm

sva19,
My understanding is that someone who has foreign passpport and has travelled with a indian visa before, do not require to get surrender certificate. It is not expected that you will travel India with an Indian passport after getting British passport (without an indian visa).

Therefore if you had travelled india previously with a proper indian visa, then you don't require to get surrender cert. But if you have travelled India without an indian visit visa then itself it is illegal.

I hope it is clear.

indianadr

Post by indianadr » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:36 pm

indianadr wrote:
sachin_4646 wrote:For an SC for a minor,

Can anyone help?
Hi Sachin

Yesterday I submitted my SC application along with my son's (12yrs).
I completed and signed his application.

No questions asked at the consulate (CGI Birmingham).

Hope this helps
Mallik
Hi All

Updated about SC.

Today in post, me and my son received SC from CGI Birmingham.

Hope this helps
Mallik

jas

Post by jas » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:18 pm

Thanks Mallik for the update.

Has anyone else recently applied for SC at cgi, Birmingham via post? I applied exactly three weeks back and nothing yet. No one picks up the phone either. The website says 7 working days to issue SC. It didn't took this long to get my British passport.

kssantosh
Newly Registered

Post by kssantosh » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:46 am

I have some urgent travel to be done to India in 2 weeks from now and have the below queries on the surrender certificate. I am awaiting reciept of my british passport this week.

1. Do they tell you when to come back and collect the certificate when we submit our documents?
2. How long does it usually take?
3. Would it be possible that we could provide them with a self addressed next day delivery cover for them to post back the certificates?
4. Would we need to provide photocopy of even the empty pages in the passport?

It would be great if someone could please clarify the above. Thanks in advance for your help.

PASS

Post by PASS » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:20 pm

jas wrote:Thanks Mallik for the update.

Has anyone else recently applied for SC at cgi, Birmingham via post? I applied exactly three weeks back and nothing yet. No one picks up the phone either. The website says 7 working days to issue SC. It didn't took this long to get my British passport.
I applied for SC at CGI,B via post on 13th Dec 09, no news at all. CGIB is very slow!

indianadr

Post by indianadr » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:09 am

PASS wrote:

I applied for SC at CGI,B via post on 13th Dec 09, no news at all. CGIB is very slow!
It's true. CGI Birmingham is very very slow. They give second preference to Postal applications.

I had submitted application for SC personally and got it back (via post) after 15 to 20 days.
Submitted OCI via post on 21st Dec and as of today not even received Acknowledgment.

HCI is far better in SC issuance at least.

Mallik

PASS

Post by PASS » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:31 pm

indianadr wrote:
PASS wrote:

It's true. CGI Birmingham is very very slow. They give second preference to Postal applications.

I had submitted application for SC personally and got it back (via post) after 15 to 20 days.
Submitted OCI via post on 21st Dec and as of today not even received Acknowledgment.

HCI is far better in SC issuance at least.

Mallik
Final I spoke to them over phone,

SC applications received by post on 14th Dec 09 will get their certificate next week.

Any further update from anyone else?

chakku71

Surrender at CGI Birmingham

Post by chakku71 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:57 am

I had applied for surrender certificate by post to Birmingham last week (28th Jan) and was on the illusion that I would receive the certificate next week! Now I know not to keep the hopes up for such a quick turnaround.
BB