ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Different First Name on supporting documentation

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Kev2307
Newly Registered

Different First Name on supporting documentation

Post by Kev2307 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:49 pm

I am a UK national, my wife is from Belarus and is resident in the UK on a 2 year spouse visa which is due to expire in mid January 2010. We are now putting together the supporting documentation for the SET(M) visa application. Most of the case is straightforward, except for her name... Her first name, which is Yulia in Russian->English translation, was translated in her passport using the automated Belarusian->English translation as Yuliya, which she does not like. Also, in the UK British people always pronounce her name incorrectly, so she uses the English translation of Julia, which she believes is the correct translation anyway. She uses this translation everywhere: National Insurance card, UK college phone ID and certificates, at her job, etc. Even when she had to apply for a CRB check, she included all translations of her name. Also, although the bank first required that we open our joint account using the name in her passport, they were happy to change this a couple of months ago during our mortgage application process. Yes, we even have a joint mortgage with her as Julia. 90% of the post for her uses the name Julia.

Last week I phoned the UK Border Agency helpline and explained the situation. They say that although applications are looked at by the case officer on a case by case basis, any documentation with the name Julia could be ignored, unless we can prove that Julia and Yuliya are one and the same person. They could not tell me how to do that, only "include as much documentation as possible". and if they have any questions about which is the correct version of her name, they will contact the Belarusian embassy in the first instance. As these are the people that incorrectly translated her name, that is worrying.

So, my question is: How can we prove that Julia and Yuliya is the same person?

Thanks,
Kev

meats
BANNED

Re: Different First Name on supporting documentation

Post by meats » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:54 pm

Kev2307 wrote:I am a UK national, my wife is from Belarus and is resident in the UK on a 2 year spouse visa which is due to expire in mid January 2010. We are now putting together the supporting documentation for the SET(M) visa application. Most of the case is straightforward, except for her name... Her first name, which is Yulia in Russian->English translation, was translated in her passport using the automated Belarusian->English translation as Yuliya, which she does not like. Also, in the UK British people always pronounce her name incorrectly, so she uses the English translation of Julia, which she believes is the correct translation anyway. She uses this translation everywhere: National Insurance card, UK college phone ID and certificates, at her job, etc. Even when she had to apply for a CRB check, she included all translations of her name. Also, although the bank first required that we open our joint account using the name in her passport, they were happy to change this a couple of months ago during our mortgage application process. Yes, we even have a joint mortgage with her as Julia. 90% of the post for her uses the name Julia.

Last week I phoned the UK Border Agency helpline and explained the situation. They say that although applications are looked at by the case officer on a case by case basis, any documentation with the name Julia could be ignored, unless we can prove that Julia and Yuliya are one and the same person. They could not tell me how to do that, only "include as much documentation as possible". and if they have any questions about which is the correct version of her name, they will contact the Belarusian embassy in the first instance. As these are the people that incorrectly translated her name, that is worrying.

Thanks,
Kev
Does she have a security badge at work which has her name and picture on it?

Kev2307
Newly Registered

Re: Different First Name on supporting documentation

Post by Kev2307 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:58 pm

meats wrote:
Kev2307 wrote:I am a UK national, my wife is from Belarus and is resident in the UK on a 2 year spouse visa which is due to expire in mid January 2010. We are now putting together the supporting documentation for the SET(M) visa application. Most of the case is straightforward, except for her name... Her first name, which is Yulia in Russian->English translation, was translated in her passport using the automated Belarusian->English translation as Yuliya, which she does not like. Also, in the UK British people always pronounce her name incorrectly, so she uses the English translation of Julia, which she believes is the correct translation anyway. She uses this translation everywhere: National Insurance card, UK college phone ID and certificates, at her job, etc. Even when she had to apply for a CRB check, she included all translations of her name. Also, although the bank first required that we open our joint account using the name in her passport, they were happy to change this a couple of months ago during our mortgage application process. Yes, we even have a joint mortgage with her as Julia. 90% of the post for her uses the name Julia.

Thanks,
Kev
Does she have a security badge at work which has her name and picture on it?

Her only photo ID as Julia is an expired college ID. Which is actually from the same college in which she took her "Life in the UK" test this month

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:27 am

i dont exactly know the belarussian procedure, but the easiest way would be to change her name with a deed poll and then get a new passport made in new name. you should contact the belarus embassy about their correct procedure.

Kev2307
Newly Registered

Post by Kev2307 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:13 am

mrlookforward wrote:i dont exactly know the belarussian procedure, but the easiest way would be to change her name with a deed poll and then get a new passport made in new name. you should contact the belarus embassy about their correct procedure.
Thanks for the response.

Her name in Russian is correct, it is their translation into English that is the problem, and that is translated using a lookup list, using Belarusian which produces incorrect translation (in her opinion). The Belarusian embassy only processes expat type pasports, and if she changed her passport to this type she would lose most of her rights in Belarus.

Does anyone know if this name issue will actually be a problem during the application?

What are the primary things they are looking for evidence on during an ILR application?

lanr3e

Post by lanr3e » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:46 am

Easy...get a sworn affidavit from the high court /commissioner of oaths stating that the person with both names is one and the same. That should sort it out.

Kev2307
Newly Registered

Post by Kev2307 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:51 am

lanr3e wrote:Easy...get a sworn affidavit from the high court /commissioner of oaths stating that the person with both names is one and the same. That should sort it out.
Thanks for the information. What would be our point of contact for these authorities?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:43 pm

the advice we are giving here is according to UK law. If you want to know the exact procedure from the home country of you spouse then you should contact their embassy.

Accoding to UK law, a person makes a decalration under oath which is usualluy like " I mr joe bloggs have changed my first name to John and my surname to blokker, and I shall now be known by my new name and surname John blokker"
the person then signs the statement in front of a notary, and thats it.