ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IT Job / Place in scotland

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

krishna1215

IT Job / Place in scotland

Post by krishna1215 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Hi,
I got my UK tier 1 approved and am planning to move to scotland on job.
I havent got job yet but could you please let me know the job sites for Scotland and the best place I could live in scotland with family, so that I can concentrate specifically at that location.

I am having 12+ Years experience in IT Industry and currently am looking for one as a SQL Developer/DBA / BI Role.

Your feedback will be very useful as I am not aware much about the places in scotland.

Thanks in advance

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:05 pm

Have you never heard of Google? It's a pretty useful search engine for finding information when you need it.

krishna1215

Post by krishna1215 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Well.. there is no need of forums at all, if everything can be searched in google. Isnt it? If anyone living there in scotland, could may be give some better info which would be useful for me to decide. I am not a bachelor and my move would be with family. Hope you got me

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:19 pm

krishna1215 wrote:Well.. there is no need of forums at all, if everything can be searched in google. Isnt it? If anyone living there in scotland, could may be give some better info which would be useful for me to decide. I am not a bachelor and my move would be with family. Hope you got me
Then perhaps you should also have a look at the Lonely Planet guide to Scotland which can give you more information with regards to places in Scotland.

krishna1215

Post by krishna1215 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:57 pm

thanks.... I will look into it. As said I'm in ireland at the moment and planning to move to scotland along with family. Is there any forums related to scotland indians where I could post queries about the same.

AGAIN, I dint find any in google FYI

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:49 am

Surprising to see such a reply from senior members of the forum.
Meats, the question asked by Krishna1215 was quite valid and he is looking for FIRST HAND info from forum members about Scotland. An IT Guy with 12 yrs exp and a family would have definitely done the required Googling and hunting around BEFORE posting the question here. So, just think a little before being sarcastic. If you dont have any useful info then dont reply and put people off with such remarks!

When others are criticized for not being too helpful to posters, I hope the same rules apply to senior members of the forum as well.

Krishna, I too havent come across such a forum. However, I have stayed in Glasgow for sometime and its a lovely city. Edinburgh is good too and usually has most IT related jobs and is also one of the less colder places to live in. So your best bet will be either of these 2 cities. I do know that people dont usually prefer to go to Scotland bcoz of the extreme weather so based on your expertise, finding a job there may be slightly easier compared to a big city in the UK.

All the best!
KP

krishna1215

Post by krishna1215 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:40 am

Hi Kenfrapin,
Thanks a lot for the info. Appreciate that. :)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:25 pm

Agree, Glasgow or Edinburgh realistically, Aberdeen for oil/gas industry and that's about it. Not much about though I'm afraid.

I spent 10 years in Scotland and I 'd go back like a shot if there was any work!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:45 pm

kenfrapin wrote:Surprising to see such a reply from senior members of the forum.
Meats, the question asked by Krishna1215 was quite valid and he is looking for FIRST HAND info from forum members about Scotland. An IT Guy with 12 yrs exp and a family would have definitely done the required Googling and hunting around BEFORE posting the question here. So, just think a little before being sarcastic. If you dont have any useful info then dont reply and put people off with such remarks!

When others are criticized for not being too helpful to posters, I hope the same rules apply to senior members of the forum as well.

Krishna, I too havent come across such a forum. However, I have stayed in Glasgow for sometime and its a lovely city. Edinburgh is good too and usually has most IT related jobs and is also one of the less colder places to live in. So your best bet will be either of these 2 cities. I do know that people dont usually prefer to go to Scotland bcoz of the extreme weather so based on your expertise, finding a job there may be slightly easier compared to a big city in the UK.

All the best!
KP
kenfrapin, I seconded you. The tone was quite offensive. This forum is for helping immigrants, where discussing youtubing UK border force activities comes secondary. Without this forum I would never get my visa and I really like to keep that way.
Third World Traveller

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:58 pm

kenfrapin wrote:Surprising to see such a reply from senior members of the forum.

There is plenty of information on the internet about people relocating to Scotland to live. I found plenty using a simple google search just a moment ago typing 'immigrating to scotland' into the search engine. Then there is also The Lonely Planet. Some people just want everything handed to them on a plate without doing anything to earn it.

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:16 pm

meats wrote:

There is plenty of information on the internet about people relocating to Scotland to live. I found plenty using a simple google search just a moment ago typing 'immigrating to scotland' into the search engine. Then there is also The Lonely Planet. Some people just want everything handed to them on a plate without doing anything to earn it.
I for one, definitely want subjective opinion in matters of location or to buy a car etc, and so are many. But then, may be I'm one of those people who doesn't have Google and Lonely Planet in their infant years, and still believes in subjective opinions, which to you is probably an offence.
Not my place to say, but last I checked this forum is for helping immigrants, and please try to do that. You know more about your country first hand than Google or lonely planet can ever manage, and if you help some clueless soul from Bangalore, you will do some good. Definitely better than discussing Anjem Chowdhury, Sham Marriages or divineness of Tory.
Third World Traveller

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:55 pm

HSMP_maybe wrote:
meats wrote:

I for one, definitely want subjective opinion in matters of location or to buy a car etc, and so are many. But then, may be I'm one of those people who doesn't have Google and Lonely Planet in their infant years, and still believes in subjective opinions, which to you is probably an offence.
Not my place to say, but last I checked this forum is for helping immigrants, and please try to do that. You know more about your country first hand than Google or lonely planet can ever manage, and if you help some clueless soul from Bangalore, you will do some good. Definitely better than discussing Anjem Chowdhury, Sham Marriages or divineness of Tory.
If they're not willing to do their own research then that's their fault. When i go on holiday i research where i want to go and what i want to see, when i was living in Sydney i'd look at areas dependent on what i could afford, what the neighbour was like, transport links etc. All of this was easy to find online via google.

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:18 pm

You are missing the point. Its not a fault finding exercise. Either you help or stay away from offensive overtures. This forum is for immigrants, and will stay so.
Third World Traveller

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:03 am

HSMP_maybe wrote:You are missing the point. Its not a fault finding exercise. Either you help or stay away from offensive overtures. This forum is for immigrants, and will stay so.
No it isn't, I'm not an immigrant but my partner is.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:53 am

Errr...am I missing a BIG point here? This forum is part of the immigrationboard right? So aint immigration related queries the Mother of all things out here?
Anyways, immigration related or not, there is no point in criticizing or finding fault. I guess we have all joined the forum to either help or provide some info that will help people planning to migrate to the UK. Of course, we also discuss a lot of other things but thats not in this category.

Some people do post really ridiculous questions and those definitely deserve the tone that Meats used earlier. But in this particular instance, Meats was definitely in the wrong.
One man's meat is another man's poison right? - So each to his own style of finding info and planning holidays and seeking knowledge etc....but noone is wrong in what they do :-)
Just because I do something in a specific way does not imply the world will have to do it my way.

Chill all.....hope the OP got an answer as expected though!
KP

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:01 am

kenfrapin wrote: Chill all.....hope the OP got an answer as expected though!
KP
The OP would run for his dear life after such reproach.
Third World Traveller

Idea

positive reponses better

Post by Idea » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:31 pm

maybe the OP was too general with his question. he could have been encouraged to be more specific to what he was looking for...
if someone is savy enough to find this forum, register and post he would have gone through google before posting ..and pointing him to 'google' is
definitely not encouraging...