ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying from USA

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dimple123
Newly Registered

Applying from USA

Post by dimple123 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi all,
I am currently working in US and would like to apply for Tier1 from here. Someone please let me know the step by step procedure? Where do I submit my application and what documents will I need.

I appreciate any help in this.

Thanks,
Dimple

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Re: Applying from USA

Post by aruni4470 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:19 pm

dimple123 wrote:Hi all,
I am currently working in US and would like to apply for Tier1 from here. Someone please let me know the step by step procedure? Where do I submit my application and what documents will I need.

I appreciate any help in this.

Thanks,
Dimple
Please go through the below links

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/visas/
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... 1/general/
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

Anything in particular, please post back

dimple123
Newly Registered

Post by dimple123 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi Thankyou for the links. So, the steps are:

1. Fill the application online
2. Make an appointment for Biometrics
3. Send the application and supporting documents to British High Commission

Am I Right? plz clarify

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:18 pm

dimple123 wrote:Hi Thankyou for the links. So, the steps are:

1. Fill the application online
2. Make an appointment for Biometrics
3. Send the application and supporting documents to British High Commission

Am I Right? plz clarify
Before starting the application process, make sure you have got all the required documents like bank statements etc and you fulfill all the requirements like maintenance funds for 3 months etc

Samey
Newly Registered

Post by Samey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:07 am

Hi, I am applying from USA too.
I am still trying to get information on how to get the bio done. I read that one must apply within 2 weeks after the bio appointment. Is it true?
Please share your understanding, that will be great.

Samey

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:07 pm

Samey wrote:I read that one must apply within 2 weeks after the bio appointment. Is it true?
Yes!
Worldbridge > US > How do I apply > Submit your application wrote:Once you have completed an online application, printed it out with your supporting documents and enrolled your biometrics, you must submit the application by mail to the applicable UK Border Agency at the Consulate-General within 2 weeks of your biometric enrolment.
regards

Samey
Newly Registered

Post by Samey » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:06 pm

sushdmehta,
Correct me if I am wrong.
From US, after applying online for UK PBS Tier 1 high skills migrant/Tier1 general. I make an appointment with Application Support Centres for biometric finger prints. After that, do I have to send my application for immigration along with supporting documents to UK border and security. Is that all.
I am confused. First, do I have to wait for biometric report to arrive and attached with my application to uk border and security or these are send automatically by US authorities.
Secondly, Dont I need to go to UK consulate/embassy for visa interview. Or this is done after uk border and security make a decision on my application. If approve, then I will appear for interview at embassy.
Last, Is visa fee(paid online) is in addition to immigration application fee?

Thanks for reading
Samey

pkumar
Member of Standing

Post by pkumar » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:01 pm

small advice:
I moved from US last year hoping UK is easy on immigration and GC. But things have changed .. here to get ILR (which is GC of USA) will be 6-7 year --> probationary citizen (1-2 years .. during with u will have to do charity or something to prove you are involved in community) --> final citizenship.

So if you coming to make this a home and specially thinking PR here will be easier than GC then think about it .... life is fast i love it ... but lifestyle is not even close to USA .. please think before u move ... just a advice .

Again, if you love fast life ... want to be little closer to india .. then UK is the place ... but when i came here to see apartment's and when i saw the largest bed room it was size of my kithen in UK .. so ... please don't take this as i m trying to discourage you ...

Please read up threads in this forum .. lifestyle in uk ... expense in uk, etc .. best if you have a friend here he will help you get good picture.

All the best

Samey
Newly Registered

Post by Samey » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:04 am

pkumar,
Many thanks for the advice. I was coming to that but I felt that aplying for UK immigration is better than not doing anything at all.
and it is better to have an alternative if things do not go as intended for me here in US. I still seek the answers to my questions. You guideline will definitely help.
I wish, things will become easier for you, and everybody who are settling in uk, in near future.

Samey

Ceeb77
Newly Registered

Evidence of Funds

Post by Ceeb77 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:31 pm

I've just found this place, and already found lots of helpful advice. A couple of things I'd love some help with, please:

My US citizen (wife to be - we are marrying in the US before applying for UK spouse visa) does not have any savings. I will support her on her arrival in the UK until she finds work - we already have several good contacts for jobs and she has plenty of experience in her field so this will not take long.

I am self-employed, on a good income and a home-owner. Will details of my income be enough? We absolutely do not plan on applying for benefits! Worried that her lack of cash will be a problem?

Secondly, I need to compose a letter of support. Can anyone give me any pointers re. what I need to detail?

Thirdly, we are a same-sex couple. We have been in a relationship for approximately 14 mnths now, have known each other for 2yrs. Our same-sex marriage will be recognised by UK immigration (we've checked) but does anyone have any experience of immigration on a spouse visa for a same-sex partner or experienced any issues?

Thanks in advance!

geriatrix

Re: Evidence of Funds

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:49 pm

Ceeb77 wrote:I've just found this place, and already found lots of helpful advice. A couple of things I'd love some help with, please:

My US citizen (wife to be - we are marrying in the US before applying for UK spouse visa) does not have any savings. I will support her on her arrival in the UK until she finds work - we already have several good contacts for jobs and she has plenty of experience in her field so this will not take long.

I am self-employed, on a good income and a home-owner. Will details of my income be enough? We absolutely do not plan on applying for benefits! Worried that her lack of cash will be a problem?

Secondly, I need to compose a letter of support. Can anyone give me any pointers re. what I need to detail?

Thirdly, we are a same-gender couple. We have been in a relationship for approximately 14 mnths now, have known each other for 2yrs. Our same-gender marriage will be recognised by UK immigration (we've checked) but does anyone have any experience of immigration on a spouse visa for a same-gender partner or experienced any issues?

Thanks in advance!
Anything to with Tier 1 (General)?? Also, not a good idea to hijack a discussion with something irrelevant to the ongoing topic.

If you post your queries in the relevant discussion forum (e.g.- General UK Immigration forum), you've better chances of receiving appropriate suggestions.

regards

Ceeb77
Newly Registered

Post by Ceeb77 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:06 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
Ceeb77 wrote:I've just found this place, and already found lots of helpful advice. A couple of things I'd love some help with, please:

Thirdly, we are a same-gender couple. We have been in a relationship for approximately 14 mnths now, have known each other for 2yrs. Our same-gender marriage will be recognised by UK immigration (we've checked) but does anyone have any experience of immigration on a spouse visa for a same-gender partner or experienced any issues?

Thanks in advance!
Anything to with Tier 1 (General)?? Also, not a good idea to hijack a discussion with something irrelevant to the ongoing topic.

If you post your queries in the relevant discussion forum (e.g.- General UK Immigration forum), you've better chances of receiving appropriate suggestions.

regards
Thank you for your most helpful response.

I am however, slightly baffled by your volatile response.

Firstly – as you may have gathered from my opening sentence - I am new to this forum.

Secondly: I thought a spouse visa was in this category. Sorry, I got mixed up. You could have just told me I got it wrong, without being so rude. I think 'hijack' is a bit strong.

Perhaps someone just got out of the wrong side of bed this morning? Or maybe the 'same-gender' reference set you off. Regardless, I thought the idea of these forums was to HELP people, not try to make them look stupid.

Have a great day.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:37 pm

Ceeb77 wrote:Thank you for your most helpful response.

I am however, slightly baffled by your volatile response.

Firstly – as you may have gathered from my opening sentence - I am new to this forum.

Secondly: I thought a spouse visa was in this category. Sorry, I got mixed up. You could have just told me I got it wrong, without being so rude. I think 'hijack' is a bit strong.

Perhaps someone just got out of the wrong side of bed this morning? Or maybe the 'same-gender' reference set you off. Regardless, I thought the idea of these forums was to HELP people, not try to make them look stupid.

Have a great day.
I apologise if my response seemed volatile to you. It does seem to have ticked you off! Anyhow, that wasn't the intention.

I did point you in the right direction (relevant forum) so that you know the most appropriate place to post such queries - the only appropriate "help" I could offer!

No hard feelings ...

regards

Ceeb77
Newly Registered

Incorrect Posting

Post by Ceeb77 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:11 pm

sushdmehta – no worries.

I've had a long day of dead-ends on this and your response – which I interpreted as rude – was the icing on the cake.

I'll go look at the General UK Immigration Forum, as you suggest.

Samey
Newly Registered

Post by Samey » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:38 am

Anyone with answers to my queries:

"Correct me if I am wrong.
From US, after applying online for UK PBS Tier 1 high skills migrant/Tier1 general. I make an appointment with Application Support Centres for biometric finger prints. After that, do I have to send my application for immigration along with supporting documents to UK border and security. Is that all.
I am confused. First, do I have to wait for biometric report to arrive and attached with my application to uk border and security or these are send automatically by US authorities.
Secondly, Dont I need to go to UK consulate/embassy for visa interview. Or this is done after uk border and security make a decision on my application. If approve, then I will appear for interview at embassy.
Last, Is visa fee(paid online) is in addition to immigration application fee?

Thanks for reading
Samey"