ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax returns

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ukswus

Tax returns

Post by ukswus » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Perhaps this question has already been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer here.

I am a Tier 1 holder, arrived in the UK in September 2009, and started working in November 2009. I pay taxes through PAYE system through my employer. Do I have to file tax return? If yes, can I do it online? Is the deadline 31 January? What informational will I need? I have payslips, is this enough?

Thanks for any advice.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Re: Tax returns

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 pm

ukswus wrote:Perhaps this question has already been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer here.

I am a Tier 1 holder, arrived in the UK in September 2009, and started working in November 2009. I pay taxes through PAYE system through my employer. Do I have to file tax return? If yes, can I do it online? Is the deadline 31 January? What informational will I need? I have payslips, is this enough?

Thanks for any advice.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/file-online.htm

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:54 pm

ukswus wrote:Perhaps this question has already been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer here.

Thanks for any advice.
You dont have to file tax return if you have paid taxes through PAYE and that is your only income. However, if you have other icomes like rent etc, you might have to file a tax return. Check out the below link

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/SA/need-tax-return.htm

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:07 pm

Thank you for your response. I saw this site before; what I found a bit confusing, though, is this part:

Who needs to complete a tax return?
You’ve lived or worked abroad or aren’t domiciled in the UK
You may need to complete a tax return if you're:

* not resident
* not ordinarily resident
* not domiciled in the UK and claim the 'remittance basis'
* dual resident of the UK and another country

Residency is a complex issue, you can find out more about your residency status, the remittance basis and what to do next by downloading the guide below.

So, given that I indeed "have lived abroad" in the past year (ie before coming to the UK), do I fit this category, or not? I thought those who have lived in the UK for more than a year (after getting tier 1 visa) may enlighten me a bit on this issue.

P.S. I also found out that the filing deadline applies to those who paid taxes in April 2008-April 2009 fiscal year, so it looks like I don't have to file by January 2010 (please correct me if I am wrong). But what about next year?

aruni4470 wrote:

Thanks for any advice.
You dont have to file tax return if you have paid taxes through PAYE and that is your only income. However, if you have other icomes like rent etc, you might have to file a tax return. Check out the below link

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 pm

ukswus wrote:Thank you for your response. I saw this site before; what I found a bit confusing, though, is this part:

Who needs to complete a tax return?
You’ve lived or worked abroad or aren’t domiciled in the UK
You may need to complete a tax return if you're:

* not resident I think we are considered as residents http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/tax-arrive-uk.htm
* not ordinarily resident
* not domiciled in the UK and claim the 'remittance basis'
* dual resident of the UK and another country

Residency is a complex issue, you can find out more about your residency status, the remittance basis and what to do next by downloading the guide below.

So, given that I indeed "have lived abroad" in the past year (ie before coming to the UK), do I fit this category, or not? I thought those who have lived in the UK for more than a year (after getting tier 1 visa) may enlighten me a bit on this issue.

P.S. I also found out that the filing deadline applies to those who paid taxes in April 2008-April 2009 fiscal year, so it looks like I don't have to file by January 2010 (please correct me if I am wrong). But what about next year?

aruni4470 wrote:

Thanks for any advice.

As far as I know, you do not need to file returns if you are employed and salary is your only income. Seniors pls comment.

lesbere
- thin ice -

Post by lesbere » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanks for any advice.

Just to add to what others have said so far, if you are salaried and your payslips states that you pay income tax and NI, then you don't need to file a tax return but if you do some other part time work where you get paid cash in hand or another kind of business that involves payment to you in anyform you need to be by law file a tax return. Hope this helps