ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Back in UK after Surinder Singh route...Advice with EEA2 ?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

evangelista
Newly Registered

Back in UK after Surinder Singh route...Advice with EEA2 ?

Post by evangelista » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:44 pm

For those of you who know me from my previous posts, I managed to come back to the UK via Surinder Singh last October 2009 thanks to this forum's invaluable information.
Since October I had claimed jobseekers allowance although that has stopped as I have now found a job and am working again ( since Jan 10 ).
Now, what are the chances of my wife getting her EEA2? I don't have any payslips as I just started but I do have the offer letter.
Will the fact that I received benefit for a few months affect her application. Has anyone else been in the same position as we are now? Please help...

eldane
Mood:
Denmark

Economic activity upon return to ones country of origin

Post by eldane » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:04 am

As a consequence of the Eind judgment, an EU national who has exercised his/her right of free movement in another EU/EEA Member State as:
• a worker
• a self-employed person
• a service provider
• a retired worker
• a retired self-employed person
• a retired service provider
is not required to be economically active to obtain family reunification with his/her spouse/registered partner/permanent cohabitant and/or his/her or the spouse's children under 21 years of age upon his/her return to the state of citizenship.
Accordingly, it follows from the Eind judgment http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 91:EN:HTML that:
"When a worker returns to the Member State of which he is a national, after being gainfully employed in another Member State, a third-country national who is a member of his family has a right under Article 10(1)(a) of Regulation No. 1612/68 as amended by Regulation No. 2434/92, which applies by analogy, to reside in the Member State of which the worker is a national, even where that worker does not carry on any effective and genuine economic activities."

Support of yourself and your family

The condition of support differs depending on the basis of residence of the EU national in the EU/EEA Member State in which the relevant person has exercised his/her right of free movement, and depending on the family members included in the application for family reunification.
An EU national applying for family reunification under EU law after having exercised his/her freedom of movement in another EU/EEA Member State as a worker, self-employed person or service provider (economically active person) or as a retired worker, self-employed person or service provider (retired economically active person) is not required to prove that s/he can support his/her spouse/registered partner/permanent cohabitant and children under 21 years of age and the spouse's children under 21 years of age. This applies regardless of whether the relevant person receives job seekers benefit or social benefit in the home state.
However, an EU national applying for family reunification with family members other than his/her spouse/registered partner/permanent cohabitant or children under 21 years of age or the spouse's/registered partner's/permanent cohabitant's children under 21 years of age after having exercised his/her freedom of movement in another EU/EEA Member State as an economically active or retired economically active person and having returned to his/her home state may be required to prove that s/he is able to maintain those family members.
An EU national applying for family reunification upon his/her return to his/her country of citizenship after having exercised his/her right freedom of movement in another EU/EEA Member State as a student may also be required to declare or prove in another similar way that s/he has sufficient means for him/herself and all his/her family members, including his/her spouse/registered partner/permanent cohabitant and children under 21 years of age and the spouse's/registered partner's/permanent cohabitant's children under 21 years of age.
Moreover, an EU national who has exercised his/her freedom of movement in another EU/EEA Member State as a self-supporting person may be required to prove that s/he has sufficient means for him/herself and all his/her family members, including his/her spouse/registered partner/permanent cohabitant and children under 21 years of age and the spouse's/registered partner's/permanent cohabitant's children under 21 years of age.
Good intentions are appreciated but results are what matters..

evangelista
Newly Registered

Post by evangelista » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:13 am

Thanks eldane but does this apply to the spouse of a british citizen who applied through regulation 9 surinder singh?

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:43 am

Yers, because you are considered under that rule as being the holder of an EEA passport other than British.
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

evangelista
Newly Registered

Post by evangelista » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks Richard, did you have any problems with your wife's eea2? what happened? Hope the baby is well too!!

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:10 am

Everything went fine! The baby was born and all is well and became a British citizen by birth. If we had not made it... I shiver just to think of it!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:52 am

Richard66 wrote:Everything went fine! The baby was born and all is well and became a British citizen by birth. If we had not made it... I shiver just to think of it!
Remember - u have to keep feeding it and changing it's nappy other wise they complain!

And make sure it's bilingual - be a great asset when it's older!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Yes, her mother speaks Russian to her and I speak English. I bet Russian will be her best asset. She also tries to play the piano and sings. :D

mashkiach
Newly Registered

Re: Economic activity upon return to ones country of origin

Post by mashkiach » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:23 pm

eldane wrote:As a consequence of the Eind judgment, an EU national who has exercised his/her right of free movement in another EU/EEA Member State as:
• a worker
• a self-employed person
• a service provider
• a retired worker
• a retired self-employed person
• a retired service provider
is not required to be economically active to obtain family reunification with his/her spouse/registered partner/permanent cohabitant and/or his/her or the spouse's children under 21 years of age upon his/her return to the state of citizenship.
What proof does the UK immigration require that its national has exercised his/her right of free movement in another EU/EEA Member State and when can/must the spouse join?

mashkiach
Newly Registered

Post by mashkiach » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 am

mashkiach wrote: What proof does the UK immigration require that its national has exercised his/her right of free movement in another EU/EEA Member State and when can/must the spouse join?
I have just seen this Danish helpfull site. Is there an english site?

http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_t ... eu-law.htm

I am still unclear as to when the spouse can join

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:49 pm

mashkiach wrote:
mashkiach wrote: What proof does the UK immigration require that its national has exercised his/her right of free movement in another EU/EEA Member State and when can/must the spouse join?
I have just seen this Danish helpfull site. Is there an english site?

http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_t ... eu-law.htm

I am still unclear as to when the spouse can join
I too would be interested in a UK version of this excellent explanation but I would be surprised if one exists....

However, it is essentially an interpretation of EU Law and Case Law Judgements and it should be irrelevent which Member State is publishing it.

I am in a very difficult and complicated position myself but with the Danish version printed out for clarification, have decided that next week, I am going to attempt to acquire an EEA Family Permit for my partner as I need to return to the UK now and obviously want him to come with me. I will let you know how we get on.
Husband issued with an EEA FP via Surinder Singh and various complications :)
Original thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=45808
Second thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=309363