ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for child born outside UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

minnieme80
Newly Registered

British Citizenship for child born outside UK

Post by minnieme80 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi I'm a Malaysian holding ILR and my husband is British and both of us are residing in UK with full time job at the moment. However, i will fly back to my country and give birth in Malaysia.

I understand that my baby will become British Citizen by descent. My main question is How do i register the baby to be British Citizen?

1) Is my child automatically a Malaysian if i register the baby for Malaysia's birth certificate? Or

2) Do i have to register the birth certificate with British Embassy in Malaysia if i want the baby to become British citizen?

cholabest
Newly Registered

Re: British Citizenship for child born outside UK

Post by cholabest » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:07 pm

minnieme80 wrote:Hi I'm a Malaysian holding ILR and my husband is British and both of us are residing in UK with full time job at the moment. However, i will fly back to my country and give birth in Malaysia.

I understand that my baby will become British Citizen by descent. My main question is How do i register the baby to be British Citizen?

1) Is my child automatically a Malaysian if i register the baby for Malaysia's birth certificate? Or

2) Do i have to register the birth certificate with British Embassy in Malaysia if i want the baby to become British citizen?
y
yes you need to register to the british Embassy in Malasia within 12 months

JAJ
Australia

Re: British Citizenship for child born outside UK

Post by JAJ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:37 am

cholabest wrote: yes you need to register to the british Embassy in Malasia within 12 months
No you don't (assuming husband is British born) but you do need to get a consular birth certificate for the child. And either a British passport or a Right of Abode stamp in a Malaysian passport.

Being British by descent may impact your future grandchildren, is that what you want?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:57 am

If child is already British, then Consular Birth certificate is also optional. However, it's recommended.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ravis
Newly Registered

Post by ravis » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:23 pm

No you don't (assuming husband is British born) but you do need to get a consular birth certificate for the child. And either a British passport or a Right of Abode stamp in a Malaysian passport.

Being British by descent may impact your future grandchildren, is that what you want?
Hi JAJ,

I was just wondering that if child got a right of adobe in Malaysian passport as you suggested, how can child will be a British Citizen otherwise than by descent and how can we apply for the same? Please advice.

Thanks,
ravis

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:16 pm

ravis wrote:I was just wondering that if child got a right of adobe in Malaysian passport as you suggested, how can child will be a British Citizen otherwise than by descent and how can we apply for the same? Please advice.
If one of the parents is British by naturalization or by being born in the UK, the child is "British by decent" and can immediately apply for a British passport. There is no need to get anything added to the Malaysian passport.

imb-victor
Newly Registered

Post by imb-victor » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:43 am

Is there a way to get child become "British Citizen otherwise than descent" if he is born outside UK and parent has " "British Citizen otherwise than descent"