ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

travelling without ID card

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

o_Ojack
Newly Registered

travelling without ID card

Post by o_Ojack » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:00 pm

What happens if you forgot to bring you ID card (that contains your work permit), and only realized when you are coming back into the uK?

andyb123

Post by andyb123 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:12 pm

according to the UKBA website;

If the holder of an identity card for foreign nationals travels outside the UK during their time here, they must show the card together with their national passport at the port or airport when they leave the UK. They must also show their card and passport at any overseas port or airport before they start their return journey, and again when they re-enter this country, to prove that they are allowed to return here.

o_Ojack
Newly Registered

Post by o_Ojack » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:37 pm

what if the passport i hold does not require visa to uk?

andyb123

Post by andyb123 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:42 pm

i would probably say that if they let you out of the country without any questions about your id card and you have a biometric passport and you don't require a visa to enter the UK, they probably won't ask you for your ID card when you come back

however I also doubt that anyone on this forum will know definitively as no one here is an immigrations officer

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:47 pm

o_Ojack wrote:what if the passport i hold does not require visa to uk?
How could you hold a passport that doesn't require a visa, yet you have a work permit? Doesn't make any sense.
I tell it like it is.

o_Ojack
Newly Registered

Post by o_Ojack » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:57 pm

hong kong passport holders don't need via to come to uk (for leisure of course), and can stay up to 6 months here.

the visitor visor does not allow you to work in the uk however, that's why i have a work permit.

o_Ojack
Newly Registered

Post by o_Ojack » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:01 pm

the reason i am asking is because i lost my passport, and had to apply for "transfer of conditions". i got my passport back on the same day, however the biometric id card wont' be mailed to me until 5 working days after.

i need to travel next monday, and wonder if it's possible to show all the supporting documents (police report for losing passport, work permit, photocopy of visa on lost passport, letter from home office saying i have applied for TOC and the ID card will be with me shortly), and come back into the uk.

my only worry is not being able to get out. because worse come to worst, i can get my friend to mail the id card to me while im out of the uk so that i have the id card to come back in.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:01 pm

o_Ojack wrote:hong kong passport holders don't need via to come to uk (for leisure of course), and can stay up to 6 months here.

the visitor visor does not allow you to work in the uk however, that's why i have a work permit.
Ooh I see, my apologies.
I tell it like it is.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:20 pm

andyb123 wrote:no one here is an immigrations officer
I wouldn't be too sure about that! :wink:

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Rozen wrote:
Quite right!!

andyb123

Post by andyb123 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:05 am

UKBAbble wrote:
Rozen wrote:
Quite right!!
well if you too are saying you ARE immigrations officers, why don't you answer the OP about wether he should worry about getting his replacment ID card BEFORE he trys to re-enter the UK?

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:52 am

andyb123 wrote: well if you too are saying you ARE immigrations officers, why don't you answer the OP about wether he should worry about getting his replacment ID card BEFORE he trys to re-enter the UK?
FFS, what is wrong with you??? Just because we indicated that there is a possibility that there are some IOs on board, doesn't mean we are claiming to be so!
You don't know every single member's profession, so you cannot make such a sweeping statement as the one you did!
I will answer questions as and when I like! I don't need you to tell me to!
Sheesh! :roll:

o_Ojack
Newly Registered

Post by o_Ojack » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:21 am

if anyone here had similar experience, or have some knowledge on the matter (whether or not you are an immigration officer), please give me some advice.

appreciate your help very much :)

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:03 pm

If you are leaving the UK, production of the documents you mention should satisfy any enquiry as to why you have a new passport with no endorsement.
If you don't require a visa to travel to the UK, the worst the airline can do is make you buy a return ticket.
On arrival in the UK, you could be held up while they check the system to confirm that you do have a right of entry other than as a visitor. But if the card is likely to be available in the meantime, why not ask your friend to meet you with it on arrival, so that it can be produced if necessary? Make sure you have his mobile number to give to the IO. I would have thought that is better than entrusting it to overseas postal systems.
Of course, if you are a visa national you have no choice but to get it posted to you.

andyb123

Post by andyb123 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:06 pm

Rozen wrote:
andyb123 wrote: well if you too are saying you ARE immigrations officers, why don't you answer the OP about wether he should worry about getting his replacment ID card BEFORE he trys to re-enter the UK?
FFS, what is wrong with you??? Just because we indicated that there is a possibility that there are some IOs on board, doesn't mean we are claiming to be so!
You don't know every single member's profession, so you cannot make such a sweeping statement as the one you did!
I will answer questions as and when I like! I don't need you to tell me to!
Sheesh! :roll:
equally FFS, what is wrong with you?
i have never seen anyone on here say "I am an immigrations officer and I say..."

okay, so I'll re-phrase my statement - it's unlikely, based on my experience of viewing this board, that an immigrations officer will answer this thread in time for your travel

picking up on a minor potentially incorrect statement that has nothing to do with the OP's question doesn't help the OP or anyone else on this board

this board, as far as I'm aware, exists to HELP people who have questions regarding visas for and travel to the UK

your posts do not help, and getting lovely with someone who is trying to help also... oh yeah, doesn't help

the OP obviously wanted a quick answer as he needs to travel fairly soon, i was simply trying to let him know that the chances of him getting a definitive answer in time for his needs was unlikely, and so if he needed a definitive answer quickly he would probably be better off trying to contact someone at the UKBA directly

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:34 pm

Oh, shut up and get a life!

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:43 pm

Mr Rusty wrote:If you are leaving the UK, production of the documents you mention should satisfy any enquiry as to why you have a new passport with no endorsement.
If you don't require a visa to travel to the UK, the worst the airline can do is make you buy a return ticket.
On arrival in the UK, you could be held up while they check the system to confirm that you do have a right of entry other than as a visitor. But if the card is likely to be available in the meantime, why not ask your friend to meet you with it on arrival, so that it can be produced if necessary? Make sure you have his mobile number to give to the IO. I would have thought that is better than entrusting it to overseas postal systems.
Of course, if you are a visa national you have no choice but to get it posted to you.
Above response is spot on. Trust me, I am an... :wink:

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:20 am

INSIDER wrote: Above response is spot on. Trust me, I am an... :wink:

Me too.

ManiKing

Post by ManiKing » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi All,

I am in this situation now. I have travelled to India Last week for an emergency and i forgot to take my Biometric card to the Airport along with my passport and the Flight staff never asked for the Biometric card. :(

In my passport, it had only the expired visa. Only after reaching India , i remembered about my Biometric card.

I enquired to my flight provider, whether they will accept the Scanned copy of the Biometric card, but they informed they want either original card or Letter from Immigration.

i have asked one of my friend from UK to post my Biometric card to my India address through an express delivery

Anyone faced similar situation? Will update my situation..

Thanks