ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spousal visa in the UK and schengen visa for EU

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

irakra

Spousal visa in the UK and schengen visa for EU

Post by irakra » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:59 pm

Guys,

I have a question for those who know, I am ceratain somebody can answer this. If you hold a spousal visa in the UK, as a wife of a British national and you want to go to France, do you need a schengen visa if you british husband goes with you? I know that in case of EU residence cards they dont need visas if partners travel with them. please let me know.

regards.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Re: Spousal visa in the UK and schengen visa for EU

Post by ElenaW » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:03 pm

irakra wrote:Guys,

I have a question for those who know, I am ceratain somebody can answer this. If you hold a spousal visa in the UK, as a wife of a British national and you want to go to France, do you need a schengen visa if you british husband goes with you? I know that in case of EU residence cards they dont need visas if partners travel with them. please let me know.

regards.
No you don't need one.
I tell it like it is.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:10 pm

ElenaW wrote:

regards.
No you don't need one.
But better to have one if you want a holiday and not a debate-athon with every airline staff member and IO on the way.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

irakra

Post by irakra » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks, but if I apply for one, kwould it be free of charge?
Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:24 pm

irakra wrote:Thanks, but if I apply for one, kwould it be free of charge?
Thanks
Yes, apart from the £15 quid call to the 0906 number and the trip to London!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:25 pm

irakra wrote:Thanks, but if I apply for one, kwould it be free of charge?
Thanks
Either free or really cheap from what I'm reading about it.
I tell it like it is.

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:26 pm

ElenaW wrote:

regards.
No you don't need one.
You DO need one. The French don't recognise a UK Spouse visa as the equivalent of an EEA permit (clearly it's too much for their border guards to put two and two together - if you are a family member of a British National, and Britain is in the EEA, then you are the family member of an EEA national).
Note as from March 2009, The foreign spouse of a EU national (except French national) may enter France without visa if they are holding a valid travel document, a valid UK residence permit with the endorsement "family member of EEA national" and if they are meeting up or travelling with the EU national. If you do not meet the set criteria, you will need to apply for a visa to travel to France and both the spouse’s valid EU passport AND the marriage certificate are requested. However, you may apply for a short stay Schengen visa, i.e. pay the visa administrative fees and provide all requested documents (proof of activity, of financial means of support, of travel and of insurance).
http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Frequently ... ommaire_24

You can apply for a visa free of charge, and depending on where you live you may be able to submit a postal application.
http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Postal-application.html

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:11 pm

stmellon wrote:
ElenaW wrote:

regards.
No you don't need one.
You DO need one. The French don't recognise a UK Spouse visa as the equivalent of an EEA permit (clearly it's too much for their border guards to put two and two together - if you are a family member of a British National, and Britain is in the EEA, then you are the family member of an EEA national).
Note as from March 2009, The foreign spouse of a EU national (except French national) may enter France without visa if they are holding a valid travel document, a valid UK residence permit with the endorsement "family member of EEA national" and if they are meeting up or travelling with the EU national. If you do not meet the set criteria, you will need to apply for a visa to travel to France and both the spouse’s valid EU passport AND the marriage certificate are requested. However, you may apply for a short stay Schengen visa, i.e. pay the visa administrative fees and provide all requested documents (proof of activity, of financial means of support, of travel and of insurance).
http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Frequently ... ommaire_24

You can apply for a visa free of charge, and depending on where you live you may be able to submit a postal application.
http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Postal-application.html
They CAN get one for conveniance. But since the husand is british, he's free to travel with his spouse under the eu rules by just producing a marriage certificate at the point of entry.
I tell it like it is.