ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization Query1

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MrCheeks147
Newly Registered

Naturalization Query1

Post by MrCheeks147 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:54 pm

Dear all,

I have just been granted ILR under SET (M) rules (marriage to holder of ILR). I wanted to know if my previous stay as a student in the UK can count towards the 3 or 5 years required for naturalization. Details of immigration status are as follows:
- Oct 2003 - Jan 2008 on student visa.
- Feb 2008 – Feb 2010 on limited leave to remain (FLR (M))
- Feb 2010 - current on ILR

My question is, based on the fact that I was a student living in the UK prior to my Limited leave to remain. Will that time count towards my naturalization? If so, am I eligible to apply for naturalization now and/or do I wait till Feb 2011 to be eligible?

My periods of absence for the last 5 years total less than 270 days and less than 90 days for the last year.

Pls note: my Wife will be eligible to get her naturalisation certificate on or after May 2010 (give or take 1extra month for all the paperwork and ceremony)

Thank you for your help.
:)

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:22 pm

To answer your question YES the time counts BUT If you are NOT married to a British citizen then you have to spend 1year on ILR with 5years in total on LLR.
If in your case your does get her naturalisation certificate in May/June this year it will mean you can at that point apply as a spouse of a British citizen.