ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Interview

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

pinklover
Newly Registered

Passport Interview

Post by pinklover » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and am finding it very useful :D . I've booked for my UK test on 19 Feb and am about to get the documents ready for the application.

My situation is that I'm a portuguese passport holder, having lived and worked in the UK since 2001. I'm also married to a British citizen in 2007. So will I submit my application base on my marriage and therefore only need to produce proof that I have been here for the past 3 years? Please advise me on this as I am not too clear with all the explanation on the home office website! :oops:

Also, I've applied for a change of name via UK deed poll and it states that I can use my new name for my citizenship application and passport will be issue under my new name. Can anyone tell me which part of the form will I put my new name and my old name in?

I've also fallen behind on my debt payment recently and busy negotiating a lower rate. I've not CCJ or judgement against me for now but will it matters that I've fallen behind with my payments?

In regards to the passport application, does eveyone need to sit through an Interview, if so, what are the questions they will be asking? I'm just paranoid about the debt problem which I don't want to put them off in anyway.

Thanks for all the help in advance! :P

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: Passport Interview

Post by Ben » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:11 pm

pinklover wrote:Also, I've applied for a change of name via UK deed poll
I hope you didn't pay any money to do this - it's free.

For example.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

BLK235

Post by BLK235 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:46 pm

One of the requirements for BC applications as a spouse of british national is that you are free from immigrations controls at the time you make application.

You are free from immigration controls once you get ILR or PR.

As you are an EU national I don't suppose you hold ILR, so in your case you will probably be applying on the basis of PR. As you probably know PR acquisition is automatic. So for BC you need to either submit PR card if you applied for one or proof that you alredy acquired PR, which will require you submitting proof that you excercised Treaty Rights for 5 years.

Alternatively even though you are an EU national you can apply for ILR, however ILR applications are not free.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:50 pm

What would be the purpose in applying for ILR by a person who has acquired the right of PR in the UK?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

BLK235

Post by BLK235 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:57 pm

benifa wrote:What would be the purpose in applying for ILR by a person who has acquired the right of PR in the UK?
Wasn't saying it was the best way forward as don't know full circumstances of OP and don't know how easy for OP to prove that s/he exercised Treaty Rights and was just mentioning as one of the options.

UKBA stated that even though EEA national doesn't require ILR they may sometimes apply for it to speed up their naturalisation.

pinklover
Newly Registered

Post by pinklover » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Thanks for all the info..though I'm still somewhat confused. I probably it as a bit more straight forward than this.

First of all, I haven't apply for a PR card..in fact did not even know one exist! I do not fully understand the ways of proof that I've already acquired PR or proof that I've excercised Treaty Rights for 5 years.

I was hoping that I can fill out the application forms and show through my P60 that I've been continously working in the UK and that through my passport, it will show the days of absence from the UK (which mainly are a week holiday here and there out of the past 5 years)

Am I being naive in all this? Can something suggest to me what the next step will be if I do not have a PR card and still want to apply for naturalisation?

Many thanks