ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self employed EEA citizen-no name of business?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2

jumpingzombie

Self employed EEA citizen-no name of business?

Post by jumpingzombie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 pm

Another question has hit my mind just before submitting our documents for EEA 1 and 2...

I'm an EEA FP holder living in the UK since December last year,and my husband is a self employed EEA citizen.
He needs to fill in his 'name of business' in the section 4 on his EEA1 form and in the section 5 on my EEA2 form, but he doesn't remember what it is :( He's collected invoices,bankstatements,an accountant's letter confirming the process for his tax return, and a national insurance contribution bill to prove that he excercises Treaty rights as self employed, then is it a problem to leave his name of business as blank?

He called HMRC to ask what the name of his business was,but a phone operator said no individual infomation would be given on the phone...

Any advices and opinions are appreciated.

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:35 am

What ? he is running a business and he doesn't know the name of it ?
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:44 am

Why doesn't he ask his Accountant? Surely that is the obvious thing to do.
John

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:47 am

Self-employed isn't just running 'business' but people who aren't employed but work as freelance base as well.

My husband works for several different removal companies, and he had to name his 'business' when he filled in the form to register as self-employed,but he doesn't remember it :(

Even an accountant has acted for him without his 'name of business', so I hope that just 'a name' isn't important for UKBA as well...
Besides, he has enclosed invoices, bankstatements, an accountant's letter and a national insurance contribution bill, so UKBA should see he has been excercising treaty rights in the uk.... how does everybody think???

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:50 am

He has issued invoices. Maybe just a quick look at those invoices would tell him the name of his business!
John

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:54 am

Why doesn't he ask his Accountant?
His accountant has acted for him without the name of his business, and it seems its obviously not important to estimate his tax.What are more important is how much he has earned or spend expenses. So, she doesn't know his name of business either.

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:06 am

He has issued invoices. Maybe just a quick look at those invoices would tell him the name of his business!
Thanks for the quick response!

He writes just his name,date and the amount of wages when he issues invoices, so its not the name of his business....
But, how could UKBA find if his name of business is correct or not, actually? Do they check it contacting to the HM ravenue?? So, my husband can write his name of business just as 'his name' on his EEA1 and my EEA2 form, probably?? Or if he does it, and the UKBA finds actually its incorrect, could the UKBA regard him as 'he gave them false information'???

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:15 am

But I thought you have to register a business - with a name of course - to work as self-employed because you would need that for tax purposes or have I been wrong ??
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:26 am

Yes, definitely he named 'something' to his business when he registered as self employed, because he had to, obviously.But the problem here is that he doesnt remember the name, so he cant write it on his EEA1 and my EEA2 form.

As I wrote above, his accountant has acted without his business name, so it seems self employed workers can work out the tax return,without their names of business...

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:33 am

When the existence of the business was registered with HMRC the form for that has a field "Name of Business". What was entered there?

In the absence of anything else his business name is his name ..... as per his invoices! So on the forms EEA1 and EEA2, in the Name of Business boxes he should just write his name.
John

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:49 am

When the existence of the business was registered with HMRC the form for that has a field "Name of Business". What was entered there?
That's what he doesn't remember :(
He says it could be his nick name or his ex-girlfriend's name,but he doesn't remember what he wrote as his name of business.
In the absence of anything else his business name is his name ..... as per his invoices! So on the forms EEA1 and EEA2, in the Name of Business boxes he should just write his name.
His name is written on each invoice, so we'll write his name as his name of business on the EEA1&2 forms, otherwise we have to leave it just as blank!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:08 am

That's what he doesn't remember.
He says it could be his nick name or his ex-girlfriend's name,but he doesn't remember what he wrote as his name of business.
Ah, the business has been around for some time. OK, he should just look at his copy of the latest Self Assessment tax return, and if he does not have that, phone the Accountant and ask what Name of Business was entered on that latest Tax Return form.
John

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:44 am

Thank you so much for helpful advices!

He didn't work out for the tax return by himself, and he used an accountant instead. I've checked the documents he received from the accountant, and no exact 'name of business' is mentioned :roll:
'Description of the business' is shown, but it's not his name of business, but what he exactly does. So, I think we can simply fill in his name as his business on the EEA1&2 forms.

I really appreciate people in this forum,it's so helphul and reliable!

Tanukiji
Newly Registered

Post by Tanukiji » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Self-employed or sole traders = no business name - you are assessed for tax based on personal allowances, etc. It is not assessed using corporation tax rules.

If he had set up a limited company then there would be a company name, company registration number (lodged with Companies House) + possibly a VAT registration. His accountant would have to know this to file Company returns annually or VAT returns quarterly.

Sounds like he is a self-employed person/sole trader. Otherwise, you need to find a new accountant!