ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation after EEA4

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Son of the King
Newly Registered

Naturalisation after EEA4

Post by Son of the King » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Hi,

Has anyone here successfully applied for British citizenship after holding permanent residence status under EEA4. What was your timeline from application to approval?

Thanks for sharing.

chifrae
Newly Registered

Post by chifrae » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:46 am

As long as you are a qualified person the time frame for dealing with such applications are within 2 to six months.

datuchi
BANNED

Post by datuchi » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:30 pm

You need to have been on the permanent residence for 1 year prior to your application, which may take the amount of time you suggested. However, this is purely at the discretion of the Secretary of State

chifrae wrote:As long as you are a qualified person the time frame for dealing with such applications are within 2 to six months.
None of the advice/opinion is expressed with the view of assuming responsibility as to its accuracy. Anyone intending to rely on any advice/opinion should seek independent legal advice before acting upon it.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:02 am

However if the Home Office delayed your eea4 application processing you dont have to wait the year anymore

If you have not been free from time restrictions for 12 months, we will normally use our discretion to disregard this if:

...you made a successful application for indefinite leave to remain more than 15 months before your naturalisation application but the decision on your application was delayed due to something that was not your fault;

datuchi
BANNED

Post by datuchi » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Again, this is totally different. He will have acquired EEA Permanent status automatically, so 1 year counts at the end of the initial 5 years AUTOMATICALLY.
The bit you quoted, Lilly, refers to the UK ILR applications which are not the same, as you only get the permanent status after your application had been considered, and as you quoted, if those get delayed, your time doesn't start to tick from the end of your temporary leave in the UK, as technically they could still refuse your application.

Don't confuse the two pls.

You don't even need to apply on EEA4 for PR, but it would clearly help with proving that you have acquired the status of Permanent Resident (EEA and not UK route!).

The UKBA website is a very useful reference tool, please consult it whenever you have any questions.

Lilly wrote:However if the Home Office delayed your eea4 application processing you dont have to wait the year anymore

If you have not been free from time restrictions for 12 months, we will normally use our discretion to disregard this if:

...you made a successful application for indefinite leave to remain more than 15 months before your naturalisation application but the decision on your application was delayed due to something that was not your fault;
None of the advice/opinion is expressed with the view of assuming responsibility as to its accuracy. Anyone intending to rely on any advice/opinion should seek independent legal advice before acting upon it.

Tomuk
Newly Registered

Naturalisation after 15 months delay previous eea4 PR

Post by Tomuk » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi Lilly,
I am also in the same situation as yours. I have just received my PR 15 months later I applied - due to delays, EEA4 application, but now I want to know if I can apply on the basis where they can use their discretion since the delay was 15months and not due to my fault. Please do you have any news regarding this, it would be really helpfull:
My situation:

Married to eea national,
5 year residence, then applied under eea4 for ILR, issued 15 months later due to delays, Now I want to know if I can apply independently using their discretion regarding 12 months free of immigration restrictions.

Many thanks

Plum70
Diamond Member

Re: Naturalisation after 15 months delay previous eea4 PR

Post by Plum70 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:31 am

Tomuk wrote:Hi Lilly,
I am also in the same situation as yours. I have just received my PR 15 months later I applied - due to delays
You are "overdue" to apply for BC - No discretion from the UKBA necessary. Irrespective of the date of issue of your PR, you qualified to apply for BC 12 months after you automatically attained PR (after 5 years of ordinary residence under EU rules).

Tomuk
Newly Registered

e: Naturalisation after 15 months delay previous eea4 PR

Post by Tomuk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks a lot for your reply, this info is very helpfull. One more thing please, Can I make the application independently this time in my own rights or do I need still the support of my wife with her work history as well and evedince of her exersising treaty rights for this 6 years.

I really appreciate your feedback

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: e: Naturalisation after 15 months delay previous eea4 PR

Post by Ben » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Tomuk wrote:Thanks a lot for your reply, this info is very helpfull. One more thing please, Can I make the application independently this time in my own rights or do I need still the support of my wife with her work history as well and evedince of her exersising treaty rights for this 6 years.

I really appreciate your feedback
Independently. Your application for naturalisation shall be based on your being a person who has been present and settled in the UK for at least one year. Your wife's activities are not relevant.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

Tomuk
Newly Registered

Post by Tomuk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:38 pm

Thanks a lot Benifa, thats really helpful to know. And do you think its ok if apply now although I received the ILR only in January 2010 after waiting for 15 months due to their delays, eea 4 application,

thank you again for your contribution

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:14 pm

Tomuk wrote:Thanks a lot Benifa, thats really helpful to know. And do you think its ok if apply now although I received the ILR only in January 2010 after waiting for 15 months due to their delays, eea 4 application,

thank you again for your contribution
You didn't receive ILR, you received a Permanent Residence Card. Almost the same for this purpose, but crucially different.

You can apply for naturalisation 1 year after acquiring the right of Permanent Residence under the EEA regulations. Date of application or receipt of a Permanent Residence Card (or, in fact whether or not a Permanent Residence Card has been applied for), is irrelevant.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

Tomuk
Newly Registered

Naturalisation after 15 months delay previous eea4 PR

Post by Tomuk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply Benifa, much appreciated

emca
Newly Registered

Post by emca » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:38 pm

[quote="Tomuk"]Thanks a lot for your reply Benifa, much appreciated[/quote]

I all i am in the same situation my application was delay by HO
5 year ended in march 09
applied for PR in Fev 09
PR received in the 19 Jan 10
I was wondering if i could apply for naturilisation in March

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:04 pm

emca wrote:I was wondering if i could apply for naturilisation in March
Yes.

grags
Newly Registered

Post by grags » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi emca, we are in the same situation, PR was issued on the 19th of January and I applied since december 2008. I guess I'll just go ahead and apply for BC...Fingers X it will go well. Have you any idea what steps to take? Please let me know if you have any information...

Rgds.

emca
Newly Registered

Post by emca » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:44 pm

[quote="grags"]Hi emca, we are in the same situation, PR was issued on the 19th of January and I applied since december 2008. I guess I'll just go ahead and apply for BC...Fingers X it will go well. Have you any idea what steps to take? Please let me know if you have any information...

Rgds.[/quote]

I think you need to fill the form AN from the HO web site http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/britis ... alisation/
Send it to the home office with
- Evidence of 5 years residence in the uk exple P60 for the pass 5 years, letter from employers, colleges.....
- prove of your PR
- test of Life in the UK
-the fees of £720.00

Your application form, fee and supporting documents should be sent to:

UK Border Agency
Department 1
PO Box 306
Liverpool
L2 0QN

I hope it help not sure myself
I have got my form and all supporting document ready i will just go ahead and sent it in march if it's OK then fine if not i will loss the 720 pounds and wait till next year
good luck with yours let me know how it goes

Tanukiji
Newly Registered

Post by Tanukiji » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:47 pm

I completed my 5 years in October 2008. It took 9 months to get the PR stamp (June 2009).

I submitted my application via NCS last week and there was no problem about the PR sticker being less than 12 months old.

I am waiting to see how my case progresses. On a different post, another member was succesful and it seemed his application went through very quickly (less than one month). I am hoping I will be as lucky.

grags
Newly Registered

Post by grags » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks alot Emca for the info, I am also thinking of applying in March, I will definitely let you know how it goes.

@ Tanukiji, good luck with your application, fingers x you will be successful. please let us know the outcome if you get it before we apply.

Rgds

daisy81
Newly Registered

Post by daisy81 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:49 am

Hi there - I will shortly be in the same situation and was hoping one of you will be able to confirm when I will be able to apply for naturalisation...

In May 2010 I will be able to apply for PR although I have separated from my EU spouse (will hopefully have the divorce finalized in July 2010).
As I will 'acquire' PR in May 2010 but won't be able to apply for PR till July 2010 due to divorce not being finalized...can I apply for naturalisation in May 2011 irrespective of when I get my PR stamp?

thank you, any help will be much appreciated!

adel2009
Newly Registered

Post by adel2009 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:59 pm

@ Tanukiji

first thank you for sharing.

Two questions for you :

1. Any update on your case(similar to mine)
2. You said on a different post another member was successful. Would you please post the link so we can follow up this story.

Thank you

Tanukiji
Newly Registered

Post by Tanukiji » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:39 pm

Hi adel2009

I got an acknowledgement letter to say they have received my application form + payment on 20 Feb (8 days after NCS appointment) and the letter was dated 17 Feb. The money did not leave my account until Thurs 25 Feb though.

Have you submitted your application?

I am quietly confident everything will go smoothly.

The other post I was referring to was:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

:D

BLK235

Post by BLK235 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:19 am

Tanukiji,
Can you tell us which NCS you used?

Tanukiji
Newly Registered

Post by Tanukiji » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:57 am

Hi BLK235

It was Leeds NCS

leoleo
Newly Registered

Post by leoleo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi Tanukiji,

First of all thank you for sharing.

I'm in a similar situation and will be applying for Naturalisation next year.
My question might sounds odd, but I just want to make sure that my AN application will be submitted properly.

If you could remember what was the date you put in section 1.3
(1.3 Please say when you were given indefinite leave to enter/remain in the UK).
Was it October 2009 (when you qualified automatically) or the date from the PR sticker in your passport (June 09).
Your reply will be highly appreciated. Thank you

Tanukiji
Newly Registered

Post by Tanukiji » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi leoleo

I used my marriage date + 5 years. NCS lady said it was fine.

Hope this helps. Good luck to everyone.

:D