ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa Travel

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

yoda121

Spouse Visa Travel

Post by yoda121 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:20 am

Once a spouse visa is granted, is there any time limits as when you have to use the Visa?

Thanks

djb123
Member of Standing

Re: Spouse Visa Travel

Post by djb123 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:38 am

yoda121 wrote:Once a spouse visa is granted, is there any time limits as when you have to use the Visa?

Thanks
No, but you need to spend at least 23 months in the UK before you can apply for ILR so if you delay your travel by too long it means you'll have to apply for an additional visa (FLR) before you can apply for ILR. (ILR will be replaced soon though I presume there will be similar rules for it's replacement.)

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:22 am

You have to arrive in UK within 3 months of visa being issued in order to complete your two year probationary period for when you apply for ILR

DesignChick
BANNED

Re: Spouse Visa Travel

Post by DesignChick » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:54 pm

djb123

You mentioned that the ILR will be replaced soon. Do you know the details?

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:03 pm

djb123

Did a little research on UKBA and see that the changes to the ILR form are for the SET(O). As I will be entering the UK on a spouse visa, I will fill in the SET(M) when I am applying for my ILR.
So I don't think I will be affected by the changes or any one else who has entered on a spouse visa.

Please correct me if I am wrong (moderator or djb123)

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:17 pm

DesignChick wrote:djb123

Did a little research on UKBA and see that the changes to the ILR form are for the SET(O). As I will be entering the UK on a spouse visa, I will fill in the SET(M) when I am applying for my ILR.
So I don't think I will be affected by the changes or any one else who has entered on a spouse visa.

Please correct me if I am wrong (moderator or djb123)
There is not a lot of information published about the changes right now. They will be taking place in July 2011 so you may not hear much about them for a while. There will be another step called "probationary citizenship" which will take place instead of ILR, then the step after that will be permanent residency equivalent.

I'm not sure how long probationary citizenship takes. I heard it can be from 1-3 years depending on good character activites like volunteering etc...
I tell it like it is.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:30 pm

DesignChick wrote:So I don't think I will be affected by the changes or any one else who has entered on a spouse visa.
You may be. See Transitional arrangements for earned citizenship.

regards

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:49 pm

Wow, thanks. I won't be in the UK until the end of June (Gods willing), I would have to move like the wind to do my Life in the UK test and apply for ILR before July. So I guess I fall under the changes.

Will I still be able to ask for the KOL endorsement based on being married and living out of the UK with my British husband for 7 years?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:03 am

DesignChick wrote:Will I still be able to ask for the KOL endorsement based on being married and living out of the UK with my British husband for 7 years?
Yes. (on ILE)

regards

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:38 am

DesignChick wrote:Wow, thanks. I won't be in the UK until the end of June (Gods willing), I would have to move like the wind to do my Life in the UK test and apply for ILR before July. So I guess I fall under the changes.

Will I still be able to ask for the KOL endorsement based on being married and living out of the UK with my British husband for 7 years?
It's July 2011 that the new changes come in so you have plenty of time to pass the Life in the UK test.

BTW some of the previous advice given isn't relevant to you - it was based on applying for a 'normal' spouse visa where there is a 2 year probationary period.

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:16 am

Ahhhhhh, thanks! Thats a relief to hear!

yoda121

Post by yoda121 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:16 pm

batleykhan wrote:You have to arrive in UK within 3 months of visa being issued in order to complete your two year probationary period for when you apply for ILR
The visa is a 27month visa.

If the visa is used for 24 months, does that mean you can't leave the UK before applying for IDLR?

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:27 pm

yoda121 wrote:
batleykhan wrote:You have to arrive in UK within 3 months of visa being issued in order to complete your two year probationary period for when you apply for ILR
The visa is a 27month visa.

If the visa is used for 24 months, does that mean you can't leave the UK before applying for IDLR?
You have to show that you have spent most of the 24 months in the UK, but you are entitled to go abroad on short trips, but if you spend to much time outside UK , you may have to apply for FLR to make up the time before you can apply for ILR.

There is no stipulated stated time you can spend abroad as peoples circumstances are all different