ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU accession countries influx

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Chess
Diamond Member

EU accession countries influx

Post by Chess » Mon May 10, 2004 12:24 pm

Guyz,

Has anyone noticed any influx of EU work aspirants? I know its early days (only 9 days so far) but I doubt that there will be 'floods' of job seekers :roll:
Where there is a will there is a way.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon May 10, 2004 5:14 pm

Its early days yet - I expect the impact to be initially felt in those industries/sectors where language is not much of an issue primarily 'construction' as we hit the summer season and its ensuing road works mayhem - which presumably keeps you (Civil Engineers) in employment :lol: .

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Mon May 10, 2004 5:44 pm

Kaya,

It is not that straight forward as HSE (Health and safety Executive) has introduced a 'safety card' requirement for all site employees - as lack of good language skills has worsened the safety record of many construction sites...

....however, if the sites are 'backdoor, small or ' not notifyable under the CDM (Construction, Design Mangement) regulations 1994 - then the 'site labourers' and their employer may get away Scott free :P

tvt

Post by tvt » Tue May 11, 2004 3:21 pm

It's all to early to judge. In any case it will only be felt in London and the south east.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu May 13, 2004 12:07 pm

Chess,

No pun intended on Civil Engineers - many thanks for enlightening me on language impact on HSE. Another filter for EU influx to UK is Sweden allowing access to their labour market and welfare state from day one to ascension nationals - actually the Swedish Parliament threw the government proposal to limit access ala UK and other member states out.

Most research also indicates more people will head off to Germany and Holland. All in all it may be irrelevant in the context of a global economy which has seen record crude oil prices start to impact on resuming economic growth - if the EU is doing well then expect little or no noise. If things stay bad then otherwise.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Thu May 13, 2004 12:56 pm

Most research also indicates more people will head off to Germany and Holland.
Why, is it because of there are more opportunities

mwaitojofu
Newly Registered

Post by mwaitojofu » Thu May 13, 2004 4:03 pm

Kayalami,

You can be suprised; language is no longer a problem for most of the people from those countries especially the young.

Most University students speak good English.

I have been to poland and an English language schools is a good business.

Many English Teachers especially British and Americans are earning
more than they can earn here.

I think doctors, nurses and midwives for sure are going to be affected.

Bambu,

GwaiLo
Newly Registered

Post by GwaiLo » Sat May 22, 2004 2:41 pm

Language has been, and continues to be, a real concern so far as safety on Construction sites is concerned.

We certainly need more skilled and unskilled labour and as a professional in the industry I hope we see more people coming and filling those vacancies.

However, even for unskilled workers, a good standard of English is really a must.

I imagine english speaking graduates are not going to be the ones seeking work on building sites, as they are likely to have the skills for more rewarding work.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Sat May 22, 2004 9:07 pm

It is widely accepted that a good command of the English language (both written and spoken) will greatly improve one's employment prospects in the UK

GwaiLo
Newly Registered

Post by GwaiLo » Tue May 25, 2004 8:44 pm

Sorry Chess,
What I was trying to highlight was that the requirement for good english in the Construction industry, even for unskilled labour, is not just intended as another barrier for foriegners gaining employment.

There are serious safety issues, and indeed deaths and serious injuries have already occured on sites, that mean good clear communication on site is very necessary.

Of course good english is will, in more general terms, improve ones employment prospects. In construction it may save ones life.

Apologies for not being clearer before.