ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to British Overseas Territories under Tier 1 visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rsathish

Travelling to British Overseas Territories under Tier 1 visa

Post by rsathish » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:45 pm

Hi,

This maynot be the right forum, if so, I'll move it.

I was wondering if one can visit BOTs (British Overseas Territories) as a tourist under Tier 1 visa. I just want to be there for a week or two.

From http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/vafs/ - I get this form VAF8A which mentions 'is for use outside the UK only'.

Would this mean, I have to return to my home country and get a visa and THEN travel?

I've been going in circles with Cayman Islands embassy in London & UKBA HO, in trying to clarify this.

Any pointers pls?

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Re: Travelling to British Overseas Territories under Tier 1

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:05 pm

rsathish wrote:Hi,

This maynot be the right forum, if so, I'll move it.

I was wondering if one can visit BOTs (British Overseas Territories) as a tourist under Tier 1 visa. I just want to be there for a week or two.

From http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/vafs/ - I get this form VAF8A which mentions 'is for use outside the UK only'.

Would this mean, I have to return to my home country and get a visa and THEN travel?

I've been going in circles with Cayman Islands embassy in London & UKBA HO, in trying to clarify this.

Any pointers pls?

I dont think you need a visa if you were issued a visa for more than 12 months (Tier 1 is issued for more than 12 months). Below is an excerpt of visa requirements for Gibraltar which is also one of BOTs. So I ASSUME it also holds good for Cayman Islands also (not sure though).

Those nationals who feature in the chart above but hold valid UK Multiple entry visas which have been issued for 12 months or more, regardless of category, are eligible to enter Gibraltar (at the ultimate discretion of the Immigration Authorities) without the need for an additional visa. This exemption also applies to persons who hold Indefinite leave to Remain in the UK and to persons who hold UK Certificates of Entitlement to the right of Abode (and have not been absent from the UK for more than 2 years).

Call the visa section is London Passport Office who normally issue visas for the BOTs. Details below.

Counter 40,
The London Passport Office
Globe House
89 Eccleston Square
London SW1V 1PN

Opening hours: 11.00 - 16.00 Monday to Friday

Visa Issuing Department: 020 7901 7542

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:23 pm

I had earlier called the Identity & Passport Office based on - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... DG_4016874

Where it states : "If you are a foreign national or Commonwealth citizen you will need a visa to visit British overseas territories (like Bermuda or Gibraltar). If you are already in the UK, the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) can supply you with a visa for these territories."

But, the guy on the advise line was like - the Passport Office has got nothing to do with issuing Visas & that they only deal with Passports.

So, I guess the London Passport office would have the same answer.

However, the >12months is promising, will dig out more. As you say if this holds good for Gibraltar, so should for Cayman. Will call them tomorrow.

Thanks.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:29 pm

rsathish wrote:I had earlier called the Identity & Passport Office based on - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... DG_4016874

Where it states : "If you are a foreign national or Commonwealth citizen you will need a visa to visit British overseas territories (like Bermuda or Gibraltar). If you are already in the UK, the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) can supply you with a visa for these territories."

But, the guy on the advise line was like - the Passport Office has got nothing to do with issuing Visas & that they only deal with Passports.

So, I guess the London Passport office would have the same answer.

However, the >12months is promising, will dig out more. As you say if this holds good for Gibraltar, so should for Cayman. Will call them tomorrow.

Thanks.
Why are you looking on direct.gov.uk for the answer to your question?

And the Passport Office has no real dealings with non-British passport holders or people applying for British passports so i don't know why it's sent you there. The FCO website will be of more use.

Having a tier 1 visa doesn't entitle you to travel around British Overseas Territories like a British passport holder.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Having a tier 1 visa doesn't entitle you to travel around British Overseas Territories like a British passport holder.
Have a look at this
http://www.gibraltar.gov.uk/visa.php

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:18 pm

aruni4470 wrote:
Have a look at this
If you are referring to "Those nationals who feature in the chart above but hold valid UK Multiple entry visas which have been issued for 12 months or more, regardless of category, are eligible to enter Gibraltar (at the ultimate discretion of the Immigration Authorities) without the need for an additional visa." then i suggest you pay attention to the part in brackets.

Even then, the part of my response that you quoted is still true.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:29 pm

meats wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:
Have a look at this
If you are referring to "Those nationals who feature in the chart above but hold valid UK Multiple entry visas which have been issued for 12 months or more, regardless of category, are eligible to enter Gibraltar (at the ultimate discretion of the Immigration Authorities) without the need for an additional visa." then i suggest you pay attention to the part in brackets.

Even if you have a valid visa, it is ultimately the immigration officer's decision whether to land you or not. I am not implying that having a Tier 1 visa entitles one to travel around British Overseas Territories like a British passport holder. As a Tier 1 visa holder you do not need separate visa to enter BOT if the immigration officer is happy about landing you.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:34 pm

aruni4470 wrote:
meats wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:
Have a look at this

Even if you have a valid visa, it is ultimately the immigration officer's decision whether to land you or not. I am not implying that having a Tier 1 visa entitles one to travel around British Overseas Territories like a British passport holder. As a Tier 1 visa holder you do not need separate visa to enter BOT if the immigration officer is happy about landing you.
Yes you do in the majority of cases. For the Caymans for example you can avoid the visa in several ways, none of which involve a tier 1 holder on a 1 way plane ticket like a British passport holder can do.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:39 pm

meats wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:
meats wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:
Have a look at this

Yes you do in the majority of cases. For the Caymans for example you can avoid the visa in several ways, none of which involve a tier 1 holder on a 1 way plane ticket like a British passport holder can do.
sorry, could not get you. Can you pls explain a bit more in detail. Thanks.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:41 pm

aruni4470 wrote:
meats wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:
meats wrote:

The English is perfectly fine and understandable.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:42 pm

meats wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:
meats wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:

great :?
Last edited by aruni4470 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:44 pm

aruni4470 wrote:
meats wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:
meats wrote:
so you think..
Yep, just like every native Englishman would think.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:49 pm

meats wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:
meats wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:
so you think..
Yep, just like every native Englishman would think.
Great :?

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:42 pm

rsathish,

Sorry to have the topic diverted.

I think as a Tier 1 visa holder, you do not need a visa just to visit the BOT (assuming you would not be buying just a single ticket :) ). Anyway, once you get any concrete information please let us know. All the best.

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:23 am

meats wrote:Why are you looking on direct.gov.uk for the answer to your question?
'coz the Cayman Islands embassy in london asked me to - as they don't handle any passports/visas.

And the Passport Office has no real dealings with non-British passport holders or people applying for British passports so i don't know why it's sent you there. The FCO website will be of more use.
Go to FCO's website & select entry requirements - it will take you to UKBA's website. Back to Square 1. :x

Using Tier 1, you can visit Channel Islands (I've been there, so can confirm) which is outside the UK, so to speak.
I really don't see any reason why an BOT should turn back a person who's already holding a residence permit to live and work in mainland UK. So, unless you're very sure pls limit your 'opinions'.

aruni4470 wrote: I think as a Tier 1 visa holder, you do not need a visa just to visit the BOT (assuming you would not be buying just a single ticket Smile ). Anyway, once you get any concrete information please let us know. All the best.

Will let you know what's the outcome soon.