ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 weeks of search(Feb/Mar'09), 3 offers, finally picked one

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

custodian

5 weeks of search(Feb/Mar'09), 3 offers, finally picked one

Post by custodian » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:38 am

5 weeks of search, 3 offers, finally picked one and working.
This one line sums up my story.

I came to London in mid Feb 2009 from New Zealand. Before coming I had done my extensive research about what will be my plan of action from the time I arrive at Heathrow. When in my home country I had contacted people using the gumtree dot com website for my accommodation. So, I had a place to go to straight from the airport.

Websites like Google maps can help you heaps in finding your way in unknown cities. And London specific websites like www.tfl.gov.uk helped me with the exact tube routes to my destination in London.

I started to pay 500 pcm (per calendar month) as rent (incl. all bills and Internet) + food + travel. My place is located in Zone 2. I agree, 500pcm is a figure at the higher end if compared with other accommodation options - but I did not want to compromise on my standard of living and also wanted to stay as close to the city as possible.

First week - My daily routine was to apply for as many jobs as I possibly could using websites like monster, reed, jobserve, etc. My first week of application highlighted a few drawbacks with my cv which I later corrected based on feedback from this forum and a couple of other agents I was speaking to.

Second week - My newly created CV was out in the market and I noticed the increased number of responses from agents. I use to get an average of 2 genuine calls per day in the second week. The agents use to phone me and talk to me about the role and then upon my approval forward my cv to clients.

Third week - I actually followed-up (phone) with agents who called me in the second week and had put forward my cvs to clients. Most of them told me that my cv was either not short-listed at the client end or the client has a lengthy process to short-list cvs which will take some more time.
I also kept on applying for other new jobs as soon as they got listed on various jobsites.

Fourth week - Three agents call me to tell me that my cv has been short-listed by their clients and they'd like me to do a phone interview first. I then managed to clear the phone interview with two clients. The thrid client asked me to do a psychometric test of which the results were pleasing. In the same week I attended face to face interviews with two clients.

Fifth week - (Monday) In my inbox I get an offer with a contract from one of the interviews I did in week four. I was happy to see the offer - my joy knew no bounds! Then I followed-up with the other two agents and told them that I already have an offer and would like to see what their clients can offer - to be able to make an informed decision.
(Monday - afternoon) The agents sensed that they're going to loose me as a potential candidate who can win them their bread. They rushed things with their clients and by the same evening one of the agent fixed me up for a second-round (HR) of interview for Wednesday (same week). Similar was the case with the third client - I got an interview call within the same week.

As I already had an offer with me, I asked the other agents upfront - Can your client beat the package that I have already been offered? If yes, then I will go ahead with the second round of interviews. Otherwise - let us not waste anyone's time. Unfortunately, they couldn't offer me a better package.

Sixth week - My first day at work. :D

My profile: 5 years of IT Infrastructure Support experience with Messaging, Portal/Appn Servers, Business Intelligence. I also hold half-a-dozen industry certifications in the technologies/products I work with.

Tourist: In my first few weeks - I use to transform into a tourist by evenings. I can say I have seen all attractions in the central city of London in the last month. My routine was simple - Apply for jobs during business hours and become a tourist after 5pm and weekends. This kept me motivated and also kept my life exciting during my period of uncertainty.

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:16 pm

Very encouraging success story. Congratulations and all the best.

mnarne
Newly Registered

Post by mnarne » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:04 am

Encouraging to the people who wish to travle near future like me..Congratulations Custodian....

suds19

Post by suds19 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:11 am

Great News ! Congrats !

Is your new job into IT Infrastructure Support or Business Intelligence?

custodian

Post by custodian » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:30 am

suds19 wrote: Is your new job into IT Infrastructure Support or Business Intelligence?
My job profile is Infrastructure Support. The support spans across Messaging, Portal/Appn Servers, Business Intelligence and a few other custom financial apps.

That is the beauty of Infrastructure jobs - you get a chance to get your hands dirty with plenty of technologies.

gujalls

Post by gujalls » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:51 am

Congrats custodian 8)

Nice to read your message.

Tim555

Post by Tim555 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:31 am

mnarne wrote:Encouraging to the people who wish to travle near future like me..Congratulations Custodian....
Be in real world 8)
Each and every one of us can make a difference. All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Very well done Custodian - it's just a small encouragement to those plannin to come or already here and finding it hard to work thing out. You have explained very well what it means to do the basics right and persevere to land the role.
If you dont mind saying to help others out here - Your profile is good, not outstanding but a very decent one and this goes to show that there are jobs out there. 3 interviews and secured 1. You may have got the other 2 as well :D
I say this because I am unhappy with the amount of negativity this forum seems to be exuding to the public who come here seeking advice. Rather than spending time to give them genuine guidance, some of our members love to just shoot off answers about total failure and a situation that makes the market look like everyone lives like a beggar in the UK :roll:

For those planning to come - just remember one thing. You need to have a skillset that is considered niche here. Anything above 5 years is considered good experience but it depends on quality of work done. The ones who are not successful are because their skills are not considered better than the other profiles around. It has NOTHING to do with jobs not being available. Either your skills dont match up or you havent created a decent profile to sell yourself.

So do ensure you have all the basics in place - quality experience to be noticed, skills that are required, a CV that makes you shine, confidence in interviews and most importantly - belief that you have what it takes

All the best
KP

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Tim555 wrote:
mnarne wrote:Encouraging to the people who wish to travle near future like me..Congratulations Custodian....
Be in real world 8)
Tim
Why are u replying to his thread now. He got his job last march 2009

Tim555

Post by Tim555 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:15 pm

namastelondon wrote:
Tim555 wrote:
Be in real world 8)
Tim
What do you mean? Did I ask you? Are you his advisor or agent?
Each and every one of us can make a difference. All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Tim555 wrote:
namastelondon wrote:
Tim555 wrote:
Be in real world 8)
Tim
Well i am just asking? I think it is a valid question. May be u are just replying to mnarne. I thought custodian got job in this march 2010 but it was in 2009.

Tim555

Post by Tim555 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:44 pm

namastelondon wrote:
Tim555 wrote:
namastelondon wrote:
Tim555 wrote:
Be in real world 8)
Tim
Well i am just asking? I think it is a valid question. May be u are just replying to mnarne. I thought custodian got job in this march 2010 but it was in 2009.
What r u asking???? :?: What's your valid question???? What r you try to show????