ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BNO Passport Holder

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

minnie77
Newly Registered

BNO Passport Holder

Post by minnie77 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:06 am

Hi,

I am a BNO (British National Overseas) passport holder. Moved to UK with my dutch husband on Jan 05. I already send my passport to Home Office for Permanent Residence. I was just wondering can I apply for naturalisation right away without waiting for the 12 month periods?

Many thanks in advance.

Mandy

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:50 am

No, you need to have permanent residence for a year before applying. (If your husband were a British citizen you would not need this, but he is Dutch, so the concenssions to spouses of British citizens do not apply.)

minnie77
Newly Registered

Post by minnie77 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:03 am

Thank you.

Can you suggest what is the best way to get the British Citizen?

As I am a BNO passport holder, I can register as a British Citizen after 6 year, I don't need to do the life in UK test and the fee is cheaper or I should go through the EEA family member way, PR + Naturalisation? Do you think there is any difference??

Many thanks in advance.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Best option is probably to apply for Registration as a British citizen after 1 year of PR (with at least 5 years legal residence); in other words, in January 2011.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... hnational/

Are you a Chinese citizen? If not, you may be able to register now as a British citizen by descent.