ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can't get an appointment and my visa is expiring! Help!

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kelly_iscool
Newly Registered
Mood:
New Zealand

Can't get an appointment and my visa is expiring! Help!

Post by kelly_iscool » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi there,

I have been in the UK 5 years and am getting ready to apply for ILR. I engaged a lawyer back in January who agreed to check all my docs for me and fill in the application form.

My job involves travel so I need to do an in-person application and my lawyer said that to do that I need to book the appointment and go to the Home Office myself. He told me NOT to book the appointment at the Home Office until he had prepared my application. Yesterday he said it was ready and that I should book my appointment. I've been on the web site to book a time and there are no available slots anywhere in the country before my visa expires. I am beside myself!

Does anyone have any experience getting on some kind of waiting list for an appointment? The web site says to keep trying, as appointments are released through the day but I've been trying for 24 hours and nothing is coming up before April 26th. By then I would have overstayed my current visa. I've tried calling the number provided but it says they are busy and it hangs up. Has anyone had any luck on the phone?

Finally, if I have to apply by post, how long is it taking at the moment? I've heard it's between 4 and 14 weeks. 4 weeks I could handle but longer than 6 and I'll be in huge trouble, as I have business trips.

I would be grateful for any and all advice at this stage, as I have no idea what to do and my lawyer is being no use whatsoever!

Kelly

vinseh

Post by vinseh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:25 pm

hi,

do check everyday but especially friday evenings as they release lot of appointments against cancellations on fridays. don't panic I'm sure you'll find a slot you just have to be patient. if you are lucky you'll find it soon but it might take a week for you to find an earlier slot. they even release appointments in the same week...as there are loads of people who cancel and rebook.

good luck!

kelly_iscool
Newly Registered
Mood:
New Zealand

Post by kelly_iscool » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks very much. I was quite worried. This is a stressful process!

Deep4ILR

Post by Deep4ILR » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi,

try the phone number at 08:58 or 08:59 in the morning and hold the line.. you will definitely connect at 9 and can speak to human not machine..

I think some solictors do have urgent appoinments with them.. may be OISC registered only.

Good luck..

Deep..

vinseh

Post by vinseh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Deep4ILR wrote:Hi,

try the phone number at 08:58 or 08:59 in the morning and hold the line.. you will definitely connect at 9 and can speak to human not machine..

I think some solictors do have urgent appoinments with them.. may be OISC registered only.

Good luck..

Deep..
True, I agree with Deep...the solicitors who provide same day service are able to get appoinments in a weeks time. They do charge a fee but if you are really in a hurry and are unable to get an appoinment may be you could hire a solicitor to represent you.

twee
Newly Registered

Post by twee » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:11 pm

i tried booking an appointment online without success after endless attempts. I finally phoned and had my choice at my office of choice (Glasgow) for 3 different dates and times! I was amazed! It worked out perfectly for me. My advice is phone! There seems to be lots of availability especially if you are open to which office to go to for submission. good luck!

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:40 pm

Hire a solicitor who can give you confirm appointments for ILR date. There are many solicitors who can not only prepare your application, get appointments for you but also represent you at home office for the same day service.