ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How do I prove I was in the UK 3 years ago?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Liberal Immigrant

How do I prove I was in the UK 3 years ago?

Post by Liberal Immigrant » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 am

Dear all,

I am applying for naturalisation next week as the spouse of a British Citizen. How do I prove I was present in the UK in March 2007 i.e. 3 years prior to the date of my application?

I was enrolled at university at the time and I have requested a letter form the university confirming that I was a student there from 2005 to 2008 (which covers the whole month of March 2007). Will this letter be sufficient OR do I have to show some document proving I was 100% in the UK on the day in question? How da heck do I prove that?

I really do not have any other documents (other than the university letter) to prove I was in the UK in March 2007. As for my passport, it was retained by the HO in 2000 ever since I came to the UK & so I couldn’t have travelled. I have explained this in my supporting letter. Would this be sufficient?

Would appreciate your help guys. Thanks.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:38 pm

I take it that you switched in-country to a spouse visa? So no entry stamps...

So, in addition to your college letter you can supply: utility bills, bank statements, GP, HMRC, HMCS letters.

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:38 pm

What was your immigration status in March 2007?

To apply for naturalisation as spouse of a British citizen, you should have been legally resident in the UK for three years at the time of the application.

andreachen

Post by andreachen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:25 pm

I don't think you need to actually prove that you were here, as long as they can't prove that you weren't. I also had no stamps in my passport and no proof that I was here either but they never asked and granted citizenship anyway.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:50 am

andreachen wrote:I don't think you need to actually prove that you were here, as long as they can't prove that you weren't. I also had no stamps in my passport and no proof that I was here either but they never asked and granted citizenship anyway.
maybe you could more details of your case as it may help those in a similar situation

andreachen

Post by andreachen » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:08 pm

f2k wrote:maybe you could more details of your case as it may help those in a similar situation
Sure, I don't think it helps much though. :) I simply filled in the form with my arrival date and absences, there wasn't really any request to prove that I had been in the country on the day. Since my passport also doesn't contain any stamps (none needed) I assumed they would either have my entry and exist dates in their electronic system somewhere, or they would go by the absenses I provided, or they would get back to me and ask for proof. They didn't come back to me, the next I heard was my invitation to the ceremony, so it seems that either they already knew if I was on the country on the day, or they went by my dates provided (without proof). That's really all I know. I wouldn't have been able to prove that I was here either.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:58 pm

Did you have a stamp to show your original entry though? or did you do an in country application for leave to remain

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:26 pm

f2k wrote:Did you have a stamp to show your original entry though? or did you do an in country application for leave to remain
The OP might be a Commonwealth citizen with the right of abode in the UK or an EU/EEA national; in either case, there would be no stamp and no need to apply for leave to remain

To the OP: I think I wouldn't worry too much. What were you doing when you arrived? A letter from an educational institution, employer, the inland revenue or the national insurance people, credit card or bank statements might well go towards proving your presence. But I don't know that I'd volunteer them, necessarily.

Thousands of people naturalise every year without evidence of residence from stamps in their passport, so it's not an unusual situation.

Liberal Immigrant

Post by Liberal Immigrant » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:47 pm

Thank u every1 for your replies.

I came to the UK and applied for asylum at port on arrival, and that was the status all along until I got granted ILR some 8 years later. I didn't have a passport all those years as the original had been retained by the HO.

Therefore, the only way I could show I was in the UK was by providing a letter from my university stating I was enrolled there as a student there for those 3 years and that I graduated from there.

Anyways, I ve now had my appointment with the NCS.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:20 pm

All the best with the application! :)

John

Post by John » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:29 pm

I came to the UK and applied for asylum at port on arrival, and that was the status all along until I got granted ILR some 8 years later
Can you say, when was the ILR granted?
John