ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Allowed Friend to drive my car; while he was not insured

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

david1982
Newly Registered

Allowed Friend to drive my car; while he was not insured

Post by david1982 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:39 pm

Hi,

Yesterday one of my friend was driving my car; while he was not insured (He is a international driving license holder).

Police stopped us (I was present during the incedent). They wanted to give a fixed penalty of £200 and 6 points to him. As he had international driving license, they couldn't give the penalty points and informed they will refer this case to Court.

However, they did not take any action against me, though I allowed my firend to drive my car.

But when they will take him to the court, will any kind action be taken against me as well?

Now I am in Tier1 (General). Will it affect my Tier1 extension, ILR and British Citizenship in future?

I would be really grateful if anybody could give me some advice on this matter.

Kind Regards,
David

Markie

Re: Allowed Friend to drive my car; while he was not insured

Post by Markie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:13 pm

the court might consider that as if you are driving the vehicle but without insurance even though you have...as per s143 1(b) of the Road Traffic Act of 1988.
david1982 wrote:Hi,

Yesterday one of my friend was driving my car; while he was not insured (He is a international driving license holder).

Police stopped us (I was present during the incedent). They wanted to give a fixed penalty of £200 and 6 points to him. As he had international driving license, they couldn't give the penalty points and informed they will refer this case to Court.

However, they did not take any action against me, though I allowed my firend to drive my car.

But when they will take him to the court, will any kind action be taken against me as well?

Now I am in Tier1 (General). Will it affect my Tier1 extension, ILR and British Citizenship in future?

I would be really grateful if anybody could give me some advice on this matter.

Kind Regards,
David

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Accessory after the fact?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:41 pm

If it can be proved that you knew he was not insured and you let him drive your car then you have committed an offence.
This may have an detrimental effect on your route to citizenship.

You need to be very circumspect if you are under immigration control

david1982
Newly Registered

Post by david1982 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:43 pm

Wanderer wrote:Accessory after the fact?

Hi Wanderer,

Could you please explain this.

Kind Regards,
David

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:31 pm

david1982 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Accessory after the fact?

Hi Wanderer,

Could you please explain this.

Kind Regards,
David
It pretty much means what mochyn has just explained! Depends whether you knew or you didn't (about your mate's 'non insurance')!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:40 pm

mochyn wrote:You need to be very circumspect if you are under immigration control
But what if he's not Jewish?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:43 pm

Wanderer wrote:
mochyn wrote:You need to be very circumspect if you are under immigration control
:lol:

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Ah, so it's all about a missing accessory...

david1982
Newly Registered

Post by david1982 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:54 pm

mochyn wrote:If it can be proved that you knew he was not insured and you let him drive your car then you have committed an offence.
This may have an detrimental effect on your route to citizenship.

You need to be very circumspect if you are under immigration control
Dear Mochyn,

I understand that it could have affect on my route to citizenship.

I will apply for ILR in 2012. Will it affect my ILR application as well?

Somebody told me after 5 years the criminal record will be deleted. So it won't be an issue for citizenship if I apply 5 years later.

Please give me some suggestions.

Kind Regards,
David

david1982
Newly Registered

Post by david1982 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:47 am

86ti wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Ah, so it's all about a missing accessory...

I understand that it could have affect on my route to citizenship.

I will apply for ILR in 2012. Will it affect my ILR application as well?

Somebody told me after 5 years the criminal record will be deleted. So it won't be an issue for citizenship if I apply 5 years later.

Please give me some suggestions.

Kind Regards,
David

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:29 am

If you weren't cautioned at the time, or arrested, the police aren't going to take any action against you.

Forget about it.

david1982
Newly Registered

Post by david1982 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:24 pm

Mr Rusty wrote:If you weren't cautioned at the time, or arrested, the police aren't going to take any action against you.

Forget about it.

Many thanks for your reply.

Today I read the following information at homeoffice's website,

"What’s a fixed penalty notice (FPN)?
If you’ve committed a minor traffic offence, like not wearing a seatbelt or driving with a broken headlight, the police may issue you with a one-off fine called a fixed penalty notice.

Non-endorsable offences - meaning those which don’t result in points on your licence - usually incur a fine of £30.

Fines for endorsable offences like speeding are usually £60, although there may be some exceptions. More serious offences such as driving without insurance can incur fines of up to £200.

Police do not have the power to make you pay fines on the spot.

If you feel a penalty notice is unjust, you can choose not to pay the fine and argue your case in court. If you do pay the fine, you won’t be prosecuted and no record of your offence will be kept.

Recipients have 28 days to pay the fixed penalty or request a hearing otherwise the fine will increase by 50%. You’ll be reported for prosecution if you fail to pay a fixed penalty for an offence detected by an automatic camera within 28 days."

Source: http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/police/pow ... index.html

From the above information, I think my friend will get a penalty notice first. If he pays the fine; he won't be prosecuted and no record of his offense will be kept; means no criminal record.
Could you please advise me if my understanding is right.

Kind Regards,
David

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:30 pm

International driver license holder are sometimes covered by insurance in their home country. So he doesn't need to have insurance here. Most of the time no penalties are given to international license holder, unless been here one year which they will be banned until they acquired a new British license. So no penalties for you.

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:25 pm

Wanderer wrote:
:lol:

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:25 pm

parvus1202 wrote:International driver license holder are sometimes covered by insurance in their home country. So he doesn't need to have insurance here. Most of the time no penalties are given to international license holder, unless been here one year which they will be banned until they acquired a new British license. So no penalties for you.
????

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:58 pm

gainvidya wrote:
parvus1202 wrote:International driver license holder are sometimes covered by insurance in their home country. So he doesn't need to have insurance here. Most of the time no penalties are given to international license holder, unless been here one year which they will be banned until they acquired a new British license. So no penalties for you.
????
What I was saying is that, when I go abroad I need international driver license and I will insure myself as a driver in any country. Some don't insure themselves, but UK police does not know that. When an international driver is pulled over and show the license, they will ask for a passport so they will know how long the the person is in the UK, if more than one year, validity of using international license is one year, they will ban the the person, if less than a year mostly they will let him go without a charge. I have friends who drive using international license, some were banned already.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:04 am

david1982 wrote:
Mr Rusty wrote:If you weren't cautioned at the time, or arrested, the police aren't going to take any action against you.

Forget about it.

Many thanks for your reply.

Today I read the following information at homeoffice's website,

From the above information, I think my friend will get a penalty notice first. If he pays the fine; he won't be prosecuted and no record of his offense will be kept; means no criminal record.
Could you please advise me if my understanding is right.

Kind Regards,
David
No it isn't, and you are now contradicting the summary you gave in your original post, i.e. "they couldn't give the penalty points and informed they will refer his case to court." That is correct, because your friend is using a licence which can't be endorsed with penalty points. Therefore, if the police and CPS decide that there is sufficient evidence of an offence he is likely to be summoned to court, and if convicted, will have a criminal record.
None of that has any bearing on you, as I explained to you before. So the incident will have no bearing on any future application by you for LTR.

Incidentally, if your friend does acquire a court conviction and fails to mention it on any future application for a visa or LTR, he will be refused and banned from entering the UK for 10 years.