ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job in Edinburgh

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

freemind76

Job in Edinburgh

Post by freemind76 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:10 pm

Friends,

I am an HSMP holder, Java/J2EE guy with 10 years of experience. I've got a job in Edinburgh, Scotland. They have offered me 38K + Benifits.
Questions:-
  • Is that a good amount in Edinburgh?
    What is the cost of living in Edinburgh?
    How is scotland way of working? I have experience working in UK (London). I guess it should be pretty much the same?
    Any tips anybody would like to offer?

John

Post by John » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:49 pm

As always the main cost of living anywhere is the cost of accommodation, allied to the cost of travel if you live any distance away from the place where you will work.

Suggest you go to a website such as www.rightmove.co.uk and search on the cost of the size of accommodation that you require.
John

Idea

quite good

Post by Idea » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:20 pm

i would say that 38k in edinburgh is equivalent to 50k in london.
the 2 main diff.s would be rent and commuting expenses

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi,

There are 2 answers here and it's how you approach it
1. 38k in Edinburgh for 10yrs exp is definitely on the lower side and especially when you are categorized as a skilled worker. I was in the Java/J2EE line and have so many of my friends in this line. Avg pay for 4 yrs is £35k in this line and higher depending on quality of your experience. Hope this helps in making a call
2. Taking just the package and not your exp, 38k is decent enough. Your savings depend on you bringing your family here as that will eat a lot of it away. If single, you can indeed save a lot, maybe £1400 a month after taxes and all expenses. So it depends on what you are coming here for.

I am not sure if you are moving here mainly to work and then return home or plan to settle in the UK. Knowing this is important to take a final decision. Plus, if you are in a hurry to seek employment and not bothered that 38k does not merit your experience then go for it. Nothing wrong with the pay and if its your line of work, then it's really good you have an offer in hand in a nice city like Edinburgh

All the best
KP

nasirraza_31

Post by nasirraza_31 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:47 am

Hi freemind76,

38K is a decent pakage for Edinburgh. Market is pretty much like this.
As mentioned here by other guys that 38K in edinburgh = 50K in London.
Flats are much cheaper than London.

Basically in scotland 38K is pretty much the high end. That does not mean that you cannot get more than that here, but that will be difficult.

If this is a permanent job and company is promising then I would suggest that go for it. If this job is sufficient for you to get your extension then it is a safe bet.

In the end, you will be the best judge of your situation.

All the best.

freemind76

Post by freemind76 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks Guys.

I have joined the job finally. Accepted for 38K and did not bargain much as I did not want to lose the offer. I can talk to their *** anytime once I am well versed with the project and UK.

One more thing, I am thinking of putting my Kid in Edinburgh school. I am little nervous as my kid could face language problem. My kid speaks a mix of Hindi and English back in India. My kid is 4.5 yrs old. Can anybody suggest me the way forward please?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Idea

Post by Idea » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:21 am

dont worry about school.

the schools accomodate the foriegn students well (even though its a burden for them initially) ...your child will adjust in a few months
and in a couple of years will pick up the local accent ...much better and faster than u