ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which party to vote for?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rg1
Member of Standing

Which party to vote for?

Post by rg1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:15 pm

Which party will be more beneficial for us? Labour or Conservatives?

:?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Which party to vote for?

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:22 pm

rg1 wrote:Which party will be more beneficial for us? Labour or Conservatives?

:?
Who's us?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:34 pm

us = non-EU immigrants in UK

None of immigration rules affect EU people anyway.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:40 pm

rg1 wrote:us = non-EU immigrants in UK

None of immigration rules affect EU people anyway.
Not everyone is an immigrant here!

Some are advisors, some are spouses of foreign wives/gf's/civil partners, even some are IO's...

Whilst ur vote is ur own conscience, I'd suggest Labour, purely because they are halfway through a job, and the Conservative Party has a record of cocking things up, some of us have long memories, 1973 and power cuts, 1982 and a war-for-votes....

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:55 pm

I'm not so sure. Gordon's got me worried with that nervous twitch of his! 8)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Casa wrote:I'm not so sure. Gordon's got me worried with that nervous twitch of his! 8)
Imagine Tories tho! Doesn't bare thinking about - and I'm no labourite...

GB is actually one very clever bloke, PhD, Dr GB, read his bios - u might be surprised. No charisma tho.

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:18 pm

The immigration policy for conservatives in their website is pretty vague. They said they'd impose a limit on non-EU migrants here. But they do not say what will happen to existing migrants (HSMP/ILR holders etc.) Will they still be allowed to qualify for citizenship under current rule or they will be going thru retrospective rules as and when implemented?

I'm an ILR holder at present. I know if labour re-elected, at least they will give 2-yr grace period for existing ILR holders to qualify for citizenship.

I have not been to UK for long. So, I have seen only labour government.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:21 pm

Neither. Pre-election both have plans to get immigrants out (could change post-election as most policies do). Brown won't do anything to regulate the banking system as he's pally with the bankers, neither will the Tories for the same reason. So the rich will continue getting richer and the poor ....

The Lib Dems have a good immigration policy but lack on others. Depends on what is important to you. A country out of recession, reasonable taxes, a good education system and health system; or a decent immigration policy.

Brown has the look of a man that knows he's soon to be unemployed. If Labour get in my guessing is he will resign shortly afterwards.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:16 pm

There are other choices such as BNP, UKIP,PLAID CYMRU!

I vote for PLAID CYMRU!

Kick out the English!
There are illegal immigrants anyway! :lol:

They didn't have a passport to enter this country when my ancestors were here :cry:

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Isn't there a party that advocates home rule for Yorkshire!

Isn't Wanderer the President?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:45 pm

mochyn wrote:Isn't there a party that advocates home rule for Yorkshire!

Isn't Wanderer the President?
Purrrrrrlessae!

I am a Lancastrian in exile! I am the Solzhenitsyn of Bolton!

GSOtodd

Post by GSOtodd » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:30 pm

it is my understanding that the Tories will introduce a cap on the number of work permits/work visas for Tier one and two issues per year. I believe the rules for citizenship will remain the same.
Andy

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:05 pm

If Labour wins than we know their plans etc

If Tory wins we do not know their plans. It better to fight a devil you know.

Cap on number of Tier 1 and Tier 2 not possible but cap on citizenship is possible. Read migration watch report.

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:49 pm

Why not move out of UK ? that way you wouldn't have to care who wins 8)
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

GSOtodd

Post by GSOtodd » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Yeah but they are made up of extreme right wing. I asked a Tory spokesman and he said that it was the numbers coming in that would be subject to a cap. And, Tier 1 and 2 can be subject to a cap. They have a cap on the number of work visas issues in the states.
Andy

SBT_Owner
Member of Standing

Post by SBT_Owner » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:26 am

For the last 2 elections i have voted Labour .

This year i am voting Conservative as Labour have totally run the country into the ground . Schools are under funded , the NHS has fallen apart heck even roads are not getting repaired , and i have not mentioned the war in Iraq ....... They are a bunch of clowns and their planned national insurance rise is going to cost a great many jobs and will no doubt fold many small companies .

Brown and his gang are clueless . The damage they have done will not be fixed instantly though , i think it will take 10 years or so (that is if Conservatives win the election) . If Labour get 4 more years i really do fear for the future .
Please respect the sites admin and mod team . They donate time to this site for free . Let us thank them !
Tottenham Hotspur have made it into the Champions League . Great Times :0)

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:42 am

SBT_Owner wrote:
Brown and his gang are clueless . The damage they have done will not be fixed instantly though , i think it will take 10 years or so (that is if Conservatives win the election) . If Labour get 4 more years i really do fear for the future .
Brown inherited his gang from Tony Bliar, who put the country on the path to ruin

VOTE PLAID CYMRU

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:10 pm

Article from our local free mag. Should make you smile. :wink:
"In the forthcoming election, I will only give my vote (and it hasn't been dusted down for many a year) to a party that has the following promises in its manifest.
1. All cars with engines over two litres have to be horse-drawn.
2. All people travelling by aeroplane will have to make the return journey by foot. Not only would this reduce our carbon footprint from boot to bootee, it would help to reduce the country's excess population, as most of them would never come back.
3. On any rail journey, where there are not enough seats, senior management must offer to take you to your destination in a sedan chair.
4. In the same way that you can sell electricity you have generated back to the electricity company, so should you be able to sell water back to the venal water companies. All the rain that lands on your property should be measured in a tamper-proof gauge, the total volume calculated and paid for by the water company. As your water runs into their aquifiers or reservoirs, it is only fair.
5. To encourage the English to take an interest in foreign languages, all road signs should be written in Mandarin.
6. All bankers bonuses should be paid for in the smallest coin of the realm and they should have to collect them from a blind octogenarian widow llving in a croft in the Cairngorms.
7. No public servant, including MP's should be paid more than the average wage, to remind them that 50% of the population have to live on less.
8. All doctor's receptionists should be replaced by dyspeptic grizzly bears to improve the friendliness.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:08 pm

Casa wrote:Article from our local free mag. Should make you smile. :wink:
"In the forthcoming election, I will only give my vote (and it hasn't been dusted down for many a year) to a party that has the following promises in its manifest.
1. All cars with engines over two litres have to be horse-drawn.
2. All people travelling by aeroplane will have to make the return journey by foot. Not only would this reduce our carbon footprint from boot to bootee, it would help to reduce the country's excess population, as most of them would never come back.
3. On any rail journey, where there are not enough seats, senior management must offer to take you to your destination in a sedan chair.
4. In the same way that you can sell electricity you have generated back to the electricity company, so should you be able to sell water back to the venal water companies. All the rain that lands on your property should be measured in a tamper-proof gauge, the total volume calculated and paid for by the water company. As your water runs into their aquifiers or reservoirs, it is only fair.
5. To encourage the English to take an interest in foreign languages, all road signs should be written in Mandarin.
6. All bankers bonuses should be paid for in the smallest coin of the realm and they should have to collect them from a blind octogenarian widow llving in a croft in the Cairngorms.
7. No public servant, including MP's should be paid more than the average wage, to remind them that 50% of the population have to live on less.
8. All doctor's receptionists should be replaced by dyspeptic grizzly bears to improve the friendliness.
PLAID CYMRU has just lost a vote
I go along with CASA :lol:

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Where They Stand: Guide to party election policies
Race Relations & Immigration

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ ... ol3=libdem

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:55 pm

So Tories are supporting Labour's point based system.

Only new thing they want to bring the cap on non-EU migrants.

TBH, Labour is still immigrants friendly.

At least we have a good vision of what Labour will do for immigrations.

Tories can suddenly say HSMP/ILR holders no longer eligible for free NHS/schools etc.

:cry:

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:59 pm

rg1 wrote:So Tories are supporting Labour's point based system.

Only new thing they want to bring the cap on non-EU migrants.

TBH, Labour is still immigrants friendly.

At least we have a good vision of what Labour will do for immigrations.

Tories can suddenly say HSMP/ILR holders no longer eligible for free NHS/schools etc.

:cry:
I would say all parties will have to limit immigration, this island is just too small and too desirable, rightly or wrongly as a destination for immigrants.

Either that or a HUGE amount will need to be invested in infrastructure to support a 100m population in the next 30 years...

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:19 am

As per news in Daily Mail today, Tories aim to allow only 50,000 migrants to settle in UK each year!

So that means not all people qualified for ILR will be able to settle.
:x

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:24 pm

Think you'll find this is for new applications outside of the UK.
The Liberals intend to limit the areas geographically in the UK that future immigrants entering on Tier 2 will be able to work.

BLK235

Post by BLK235 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Do these 50,000 include EU migrants?

If so I wonder how would they work out number of EU migrants settling in? Don't think many EU folks bother applying for Permanent Residence card as it's just a confirmation of their status. Their non-EU family members will certainly apply.