ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Restrospective change to Citizenship laws ( as with HSMP )

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ilrwanted
Newly Registered

Restrospective change to Citizenship laws ( as with HSMP )

Post by ilrwanted » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:17 pm

hi

is it possible that the govt can apply a Restrospective change to Citizenship laws as they had done with HSMP and then we had to fight in the court to reverse it ?

I have ILR now ( after 5 years of HSMP ) but under constant fear that the new Conservative govt ( or even the Labour govt ) might implement changes restrospetively to curb immigration ?

regards
Gaurav

kashyme

Post by kashyme » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Although this section is for EEA route applications only
But
...as far as I understood the new citizenship law document http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary ,
all the obstacles are before u get permanent residence/Indefinite leave to remain.
The 1st stage is temporary residence, 2nd is probationary citizenship and final is either british citizenship or permanent residence/ILR.

As you already hold ILR so don`t worry

Regards

hunpak
Member of Standing

Post by hunpak » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:12 pm

So people like me should be worried who just got their eea2 and have long way to go for citizenship :(

kashyme

Post by kashyme » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:33 pm

hunpak wrote:So people like me should be worried who just got their eea2 and have long way to go for citizenship :(
well apparently this new citizenship law will not affect the rights of EEA nationals and their family members .

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:48 pm

kashyme wrote:well apparently this new citizenship law will not affect the rights of EEA nationals and their family members .
Well, up until PR is attained. After that it is anyone's guess how long the wait will be before BC can be acquired.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:33 pm

HSMP forum Ltd won the JR becuase they were able to show that there was a legitimate expecation any changes in the rules would not effect them, despite changes being perfectly legal and allowed in the immigration rules. In effect the government went back on a promise to them, I do not think this could be the case with anyone else. In fact other people on non-HSMP schemes lost their JR.

kashyme

Post by kashyme » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:45 pm

Plum70 wrote:
kashyme wrote:well apparently this new citizenship law will not affect the rights of EEA nationals and their family members .
Well, up until PR is attained. After that it is anyone's guess how long the wait will be before BC can be acquired.
Actually for those people who have already acquired the permanent resident status (either PR or ILR ) or even those who apply for one before the new law come into force, they will be allowed to apply Citizenship under the old citizenship law for two years after the new citizenship law will be active in July 2011, this is what they are calling a Transitional arrangement for earned citizenship . Please see this for more information http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... nts-earned

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:19 pm

What I mean is: EU nationals and their family members who attain PR after July 2011 are in the dark about what new requirements would dictate attaining BC in the future.

kashyme

Post by kashyme » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Plum70 wrote:What I mean is: EU nationals and their family members who attain PR after July 2011 are in the dark about what new requirements would dictate attaining BC in the future.
I agree