ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Prospects for Mechanical Design Engineers!!

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

s19779

Prospects for Mechanical Design Engineers!!

Post by s19779 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:40 am

Hi Everyone,

How is the current market situation for Mechanical Design engineers and what would be the salary range for an 10 year experienced person.

Kindly help with your comments and information.

Regards

Idea

Too general

Post by Idea » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Mechanical Design Engineers seems a bit general

but compared to a year/2 before the market on the oil and gas/ process industry side is lot better.

the salary again depends on the experience and how scarce the skills are...
for eg. pipe stress engineers there are few roles available for 40-50/hour
or upto 60k per annum

aberdeen is lot busier now...and there are lot of middle east companies spending with new projects started..

engineering consultants are doing better than EPC companies

s19779

Post by s19779 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:02 am

Thanks for your reply. I am in aero-engine design [cad] engineering and am with ge for the past 6 years.

Idea

design engineers

Post by Idea » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:56 am

i have seen lots of ads. for stress engr.s in aviation industry...stress engrs. with ansys experience...

check jobsite.co.uk - i find the site is reliable and the jobs posted are genuine.

raghava39@rediffmail.com

Post by raghava39@rediffmail.com » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:00 pm

Lot of contract jobs seems to be opening up in Mechanical industry. But my observation has been consultants show a lot of initial interest and afterward there is stoic silence regarding the status of the candidature.

P.S: Anyone with experience in Job hunting in Mechanical field, please post in the thread. It will be helpful for us

Regards
RG

s19779

Post by s19779 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:30 pm

My friend is already in the uk for the past 1 month and consultants are not responding properly.

so, before i could come here i wanted to study the market condition and employers' responce for Tier1 candidates.

Please post your experience here and help us.

Thanks

Idea

Post by Idea » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:39 am

I have experienced that before. ie the consultant very excited and asking for your details and saying he'll forward to xyz company.. and nothing happening after.

this means, when you post your CV the recruiter thinks its good and he can place you. but the company is not satisfied enough with the skills,experience whatever..

also you'll find 5 different people calling you, it might be for the same role.
so check the company name when you get the call and let them know if your cv has already been forwarded,

raghava39@rediffmail.com

Post by raghava39@rediffmail.com » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks for the reply Idea.

But the problem with the consultants is that they do not disclose the client name. Each advert starts with the standard wording " A Large and well known Mechanical company is looking for............". Once I happened to tell a consultant that I had forwarded for the job through other consultancy, but he assured me that this was different (I was quite sure it was for the same job) and asked me to apply for this. Still, I am waiting for response from both of them.

RG

Idea

Post by Idea » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:46 pm

you'll have to have a few things in mind.

- consultants don't have any idea about that the work u do orwhat the company is looking for. they just know about job titles and a few company names in the field

- companies dont give much feedback about why they have rejected a cv-so we cannot expect the consultant to give us the feedback

what can be done..

widen your skills on the CV, add different types of projects to make sure u are not missing something that might attract the co. for example you might be trained in a software but not used hands on recently so left it on the cv. its better to mention you are trained in it..

be ready to travel anywhere...some locations are not attractive and hence lesser competition

s19779

Post by s19779 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:02 am

And I heard that the consultants would only look for the exact phrase or terms given in the resume to match the job description given by the company.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:41 am

Ok, so this is how I believe Consultants actually shortlist potential candidates for interviews. I have come to understand this over various discussions with many people applying for roles in the market

1. Job opening in a company forwarded to their preferred Consultants to begin the search
2. Job adverts put up by all consultants across job portals
3. Applications received and shortlisting begins
4. Key requirements for consultants - how many hits on specific target words is important. As everyone has mentioned, most Consultants have no clue on specifics of the role and look for specific keywords in a resume. They pick those resumes which really stand out or have required keywords in them
5. Each of the consultants usually chose about 10 to 15 resumes and begin calling and speaking to candidates. All they usually ask candidates is if they have worked in this field and use the keywords as a marker to understand if the candidate is fit for the role and has the right attitude and communication skill. A lot depends on this call for the candidate. Example - speaking well, explaining why you fit this role, how your experience is definitely good for this role etc
6. Based on the feel THEY get, they shortlist about 3 to 5 and send across to the employer.
7. The employer then only has this set of 3 to 5 to shortlist who they want to call for the actual interview

So then, what one can infer from this is
1. Possibility of a good CV being picked by different Consultants for the same role is very possible and this has happened for many people so there is truth in the above procedure they actually follow
2. You may be a perfect fit for the job, but just because the initial consultant did not pick your CV, you have lost out on a truly good opportunity to attend the interview
3. You may be technically great and really good at what you do but on the initial call with the Consultant dont give a good picture of your skills or dont talk well, you lose out.
4. Remember that even for really technical roles where communication skills may not be important, Consultants still use their initial call with you to make their decision.
5. Many times the actual Employer loses out as they dont actually get to see a genuine candidate as the consultant did not send the CV across
6. Ensuring your CV details your key and niche skills elaborately is very important so these Consultants atleast pick the phone and give you a call to then have a shot at the interview.

Hope this helps!!!
KP

raghava39@rediffmail.com

Post by raghava39@rediffmail.com » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Kenfrapin

Thanks a lot for the reply. It makes things clear.

P.S: Anybody travelling around May 1st or 2nd weeks please send a pm to me or please post here.

s19779

Post by s19779 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:38 am

Thanks everyone. For keeping this thread alive.

Does anybody have an idea about which part of UK has good scope for mechanical design jobs preferably aero engine design.

Thanks.

Markie

Post by Markie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:47 am

search for Rolls royce and EADS...
s19779 wrote:Thanks everyone. For keeping this thread alive.

Does anybody have an idea about which part of UK has good scope for mechanical design jobs preferably aero engine design.

Thanks.

s19779

Post by s19779 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Will do.

But do they recruit directly or thru consultants?

Markie

Post by Markie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:29 pm

try both...there is no harm trying. anyway if you find the links then it will point you to the right direction anyway.

also look in Reed and monster as well.
s19779 wrote:Will do.

s19779

Post by s19779 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:52 am

Markie wrote:try both...there is no harm trying. anyway if you find the links then it will point you to the right direction anyway.

also look in Reed and monster as well.
s19779 wrote:Will do.

Thanks Markie.

silk route

Re: Prospects for Mechanical Design Engineers!!

Post by silk route » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:01 pm

Sorry Dear,

I don't want to discourage u but a hard reality is u r wasting ur time.Even after being a charter engineer and 10 yrs exp. in core process engineering in Japan,India,Middle east and South korea with globally established EPC companies, i could not succeed to get a single call from UK employer. may be ur physical presence in UK make some difference but i have already tried even for that also by staying one month in UK.

I am not negative but just sharing my experience wd u.

silk route