ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I lost my job and I desperately want to go back home, HELP!!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

R__
Newly Registered

I lost my job and I desperately want to go back home, HELP!!

Post by R__ » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:59 pm

To put it in a nutshell, I moved to the UK in late September 2009 after getting a good but not-so-useful Masters degree in France thinking I'd get a job because I was bilingual and whatnot. I started working here in October of the same year as self-employed leaflet deliverer paid cash-in- hand because I struggled to find jobs through temp agencies and the Internet. I kind of stuck to it because of the current crisis and also because I didn't have the energy to look for something else (it's a very physical job and I didn't have much luck in my job hunt when I first moved.) Two weeks ago, my boss announced that he didn't have any work anymore (so I was kind of made redundant) and as I was already fed up with everything and unhappy, I decided that it'd be better for me to go back to France (to my parents') in order to breathe for a few weeks, figure out what I want to do with my life and get into a some training school or something.

Moving out could be easy but I am a bit clueless and unaware of a lot of things and apparently made some serious mistakes while being over here.

I registered for a NIN but never filed my HMRC declaration for 2009-2010 because I did not understand what it was, didn't know I had to pay NI contributions and never got a paper slip or anything from my boss whenever I would get paid. It's my first real job, I guess sometimes you need to learn the hard way...

I never thought about it until recently when I heard my housemates talk about it and also because in between the time I registered to the HMRC and now, I changed my phone number and my address. So I guess they had no possibility of getting in touch with me.

I didn't earn much, between £380-£480 per month, but I guess I am in trouble now. What should I do?

I desperately want to leave the country as soon as possible and be legally done with everything over here.

Many thanks for your help.

R. :cry:

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:36 pm

Sorry to hear about your circumstance. :(

Did your employer ask for your NIN? Did he give you a P45 when he made you redundant? It seems to me, because you were paid in cash, that he is the one breaking the law as it is he that has to "register" all employees with HMRC and is the one that has to make tax & NI contributions to HMRC. Unless you are a self-employed contractor then the onus is on you. If were to "confess" to HMRC then you will be getting your employer into trouble as he will surely be investigated.

Are you an EU citizen, or here on a visa therefore not here illegally?

Here is the number of HMRC NI department: 0845 915 5996 explain the situation to them. I'm sure because you are being honest they will be more than willing to help. The website for HMRC for other contact details is: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/index.htm

Personally I think that if you are a French citizen you should have no problem heading home as immigration won't really care what you have been doing over here. But you do appear to be the honest type so chat to someone at HMRC for their advice.

Good luck :D

R__
Newly Registered

Post by R__ » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:34 pm

Kiwigirl, I've never been asked for my NIN by neither my employer nor anyone else, he never gave me a P45 (as there wasn't any contract saying I was employed in the first place) and yes, I am legal French citizen living in the UK.

Thank you for your help!

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:53 pm

In that case your ex-employer was acting illegally:

It's illegal for your employer to pay you cash in hand without deducting tax and National Insurance contributions from your wages.
If you accept money in this way, you risk losing your employment rights and the right to some benefits, such as:
maternity or paternity leave
sick pay
Jobseeker's Allowance
In addition you could end up having to pay the tax and National Insurance contributions yourself.
If you suspect your employer of not paying tax or National Insurance contributions on your wages you can report them in confidence using the Tax Evasion Hotline on Tel 0800 788 887.

If I was you I would head home to get your head straight and forget that your entire UK experience ever happen. Is it really worth reporting this to HMRC after such a short period of time?

All the very best for your future.

R__
Newly Registered

Post by R__ » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:40 am

Yes, I don't think reporting him would be worth it especially since he never was a "bad" boss at all (despite the fact he was maybe acting kind of illegally.) I am going to try to go home as soon as possible, thank you.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:13 am

I didnt think that you would be liable to pay any tax or NI contribution on the amount of earning that you claimed that you were earning or would have earned in the time that you were employed.

As for your employer not declaring things. I think anyone in this line of business would hardly be a legitimate or registered employer.

This sounds like a bit of a job on the side. You get peanuts for delivering and the employer is hardly likely to register and declare this.

I would call this the exploitation of the desperate and needy by the unscrupilous employers .

I also think you are worrying about something or nothing.Its hardly a case that you have done the HMRC out of thousands of pounds, when others have done it by the millions.

I suggest you put this down to expereince and in future be wary of applying for such jobs. Next time get a legit employer who is playing by the books. Furthermore all this will hardly affect any future immigration status as you a french citizen.

R__
Newly Registered

Post by R__ » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:09 pm

I learned my lesson for sure.

Thanks.

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:22 am

What would be appropriate for a British Citizen in a similar situation who is earning just about £450 a month. If the emppoyer do register still there is hardly any NI and probably no tax?

drsquirrel

Post by drsquirrel » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:49 am

batleykhan wrote:I didnt think that you would be liable to pay any tax or NI contribution on the amount of earning that you claimed that you were earning or would have earned in the time that you were employed.

As for your employer not declaring things. I think anyone in this line of business would hardly be a legitimate or registered employer.

This sounds like a bit of a job on the side. You get peanuts for delivering and the employer is hardly likely to register and declare this.

I would call this the exploitation of the desperate and needy by the unscrupilous employers .

I also think you are worrying about something or nothing.Its hardly a case that you have done the HMRC out of thousands of pounds, when others have done it by the millions.

I suggest you put this down to expereince and in future be wary of applying for such jobs. Next time get a legit employer who is playing by the books. Furthermore all this will hardly affect any future immigration status as you a french citizen.
OP stated they were working self employed, which sounds like the reason they registered with HMRC. You would pay different NI contributions, you pay these yourself.

You would then declare your earnings, and then tax is calculated against that. If you earn below a certain amount, the taxation is low or almost none. If you earn below another amount (I really wish I could quote this amount, I should know it!) you can claim for an NI exemption certificate, or just claim back the NI payments at the end of the year instead.

Thus, OP would have to "invoice" his boss, and being paid in cash is then perfectly reasonable. It is then up to OP to deal with their own taxes (and avoid the dreaded IP35 which he would struggle with working for one company).

I am employed and self-employed at the same time, I pay PAYE and NI at work, plus I pay extra NI on top of this and tax is calculated at the end of the year.

£400 a month isn't over the £7,000(est) limit for tax, and probably not even high enough for NI... although you still have to have an exemption certificiate.