ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TB test for those wanting UK visas exceeding 6 months

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

John

TB test for those wanting UK visas exceeding 6 months

Post by John » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:25 pm

The UK Government is starting to introduce stricter TB controls. As I understand it the requirement does not affect the whole world but is being introduced selectively in some countries.

The new requirement starts in Thailand as from 1st December :-

REQUIREMENT FOR TUBERCULOSIS TESTING FOR APPLICANTS VISITING THE UK FOR LONGER THAN 6 MONTHS

If anyone else spots a similar requirement in other countries please post details in this topic.

That requirement in Thailand is not too bad for those happening to live in Bangkok or the surrounding district. But as only one place is designated for the whole of Thailand, those living elsewhere will need to make a special trip to Bangkok to deal with the TB issue prior to submitting their visa application.
John

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:45 pm

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:14 pm

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:39 pm

It DOES happen that from time to time (as happened with me) that people arriving for the first time on their work permits at Heathrow are subjected to random TB tests at the hospital in Terminal 3.

When I arrived in the UK for the first time on my 5 year work permit from South Africa I was held at immigration and told to report to Heathrow Terminal 3 for a TB scan and only AFTERWARDS was I allowed into the country. Took about 3 hours to get done!

Why I mention this is that DESPITE making enquiries at the British Embassy in South Africa about whether or not I should get my own TB scans done before I leave to avoid any hassle upon arrival and being told that this was not necessary, they did it anyway!

Although I know South Africa has a high rate of TB it does seem to be random as I know of some Australian and New Zealands working holiday makers who have had to go through the same ordeal.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

John

Post by John » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:53 pm

Dawie, all that is correct, but that is not what this topic is about. Reading the messages prior to yours you will see that we are talking about a requirement in three countries (so far) to provide a TB certificate when making an application for a settlement visa or any other sort of visa exceeding six months in length.

For example, in Bangkok, anyone applying for a fiancé(e) or spouse visa must provide a TB certificate when applying for their visa. As the website of the British Embassy in Bangkok makes clear, a lack of TB certificate will mean that the visa application will be declined ... and the application fee lost!
John

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:19 am

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:54 pm

Kenya and Ghana now added to TB list:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 0063264011

John

Post by John » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:39 am

Pakistan is added to the list as from 5th March 2007 ... next Monday :-

Tuberculosis testing requirement for visa applicants in Pakistan
John

Pyromaniac

Post by Pyromaniac » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:01 pm

My fiencee (now wife) came into heathrow from Bali 4 weeks ago, I waited for 2 hours after she landed and then called her and discovered she was having a medical screening and TB test.

Apparently when she presented her passport / fiencee visa at immigration they asked to see her X- rays and TB test results which of course she did not have, thus her being tested before being admitted.

Bali (Indonesia) is not currently on the list, but from what the immigration officials asked her it seems they thought it was as they expected her to produce the x-rays and documents.

maka1981
Newly Registered

Post by maka1981 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:57 am

Zimbabwe is on the list too.

m000n

Post by m000n » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:28 pm

Pakistan is in the list too

John

Post by John » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:30 pm

Yes, as I posted last February.
John

marvinvv
Newly Registered

South Africans TB testing

Post by marvinvv » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:12 pm

Do South Africans applying for spouse/settlement visa need TB testing?

M

vinny

South Africans TB testing

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:21 pm

Check with the Embassy.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kam.
Newly Registered

Post by kam. » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:56 pm

india on the list 2

Prem

Post by Prem » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Have you got a link to that Kam please?, had a search and couldn't find it for India?

garimasharma
Newly Registered

Regarding TB test and X-ray

Post by garimasharma » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:57 am

Dear moderators
Can you please tell do we require TB test and X-ray of chest as we are indians.Right now we are in Germany from last 1.5 years.We have Tier1 migrant visa and we going in march 2009 for 1 week.
If we do not take it along what will it cost at the airport?
Please guide, urgent help needed
Thanks in advance
Garima

John

Post by John » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:06 am

It is possible that when you get to the UK with your Tier 1 visa that you will be referred to the Medical Centre at the airport. If you are, the cost is ...... nothing!

Where are you flying into? Or indeed are you going on the train or ferry?
John

garimasharma
Newly Registered

Post by garimasharma » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks for your reply John!!!
We are flying from hanover to Stansted.
If they do it on airport, I think it will be better as then they will have in their records forever and more over our flight is very short and reaching very early and we are not short of time to get it done there.
What do you suggest?
Thanks again

sunny_hsmp001

Post by sunny_hsmp001 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:04 am

Can i get it done from my local doctor and carry the X-ray and test report

i will be landing in LHR in march

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:21 am

I was tested for this at Heathrow in 2008. They make you wait for about an hour just to take an x-ray.

If you do choose to get your x-ray done before you leave for the UK, keep the x-ray and the report from the doctor in your cabin baggage and do not check it in with the rest of your luggage. This happened to a girl who packed it in with her luggage and she had to wait there like the rest of us to get the x- ray taken, even though she had a recent x-ray of her

pr200707
Newly Registered

TB referral for wife

Post by pr200707 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:55 pm

Anyone has similar situation where wife has been asked to take TB sputum test prior to getting VISA on dependent basis against ILR?

davidward2k10
Newly Registered

Re: TB test for those wanting UK visas exceeding 6 months

Post by davidward2k10 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:08 pm

John wrote:The UK Government is starting to introduce stricter TB controls. As I understand it the requirement does not affect the whole world but is being introduced selectively in some countries.

The new requirement starts in Thailand as from 1st December :-

REQUIREMENT FOR TUBERCULOSIS TESTING FOR APPLICANTS VISITING THE UK FOR LONGER THAN 6 MONTHS

If anyone else spots a similar requirement in other countries please post details in this topic.

That requirement in Thailand is not too bad for those happening to live in Bangkok or the surrounding district. But as only one place is designated for the whole of Thailand, those living elsewhere will need to make a special trip to Bangkok to deal with the TB issue prior to submitting their visa application.
Hi John,

This was posted years back ago, right? I am from the Philippines and I want to know if we too are affected with this "stricter" TB controls?

John

Post by John » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:40 pm

You are right this topic started years ago. If you click here you will see that the list of countries covered by compulsory testing is currently :-
Testing has started in: Bangladesh, Ghana, Kenya (also accepts applications from residents of Eritrea and Somalia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Uganda (visitor applications) and Tanzania), Pakistan, Sudan, and Thailand (also accepts applications from Cambodia and Laos). Testing is also offered in Phnom Penh, although applicants will need to travel to Thailand to apply for their visa.
davidward2k10, the advertising in your signature has been removed. This board has a strict no advertising policy.
John

moving to uk

TB test at Heathrow

Post by moving to uk » Tue May 04, 2010 8:05 pm

krazydude wrote:I was tested for this at Heathrow in 2008. They make you wait for about an hour just to take an x-ray.

If you do choose to get your x-ray done before you leave for the UK, keep the x-ray and the report from the doctor in your cabin baggage and do not check it in with the rest of your luggage. This happened to a girl who packed it in with her luggage and she had to wait there like the rest of us to get the x- ray taken, even though she had a recent x-ray of her
I could not find a post that dealt with my situation so I am posting my question here:

I am traveling from NYC to Heathrow on May 19. Per my request, my doctor conducted TB skin test and it came out negative (swelling needs to be less than 5mm and mine was 0mm). He flatly refused to conduct an x-ray since there was no need for it. He gave a medical note describing the test and results and his explanation of not conducting the x-ray. Same with my wife.

My questions are:

1. Since we don't have x-ray would we be asked to get one at Heathrow?

2. If I explain my TB test to the immigration officer will it exempt me from getting an x-ray at the airport?

Thanks.