ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying EEA Family permit for UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ChIrl

Applying EEA Family permit for UK

Post by ChIrl » Sat May 01, 2010 6:42 am

Hi

I am an Irish citizen and would like to apply for EEA family permit for wife. We are married for more than 5 years and have been living in Ireland since marriage.

I would appreciate if anyone can clarify me the following points:
1) How long it will take to receive EEA family permit
2) How long the EEA family permit will be valid for?
3) Can I apply EEA family permit in Ireland?
4) When will my wife be eligible to apply for citizenship in UK?
5) What documents are needed to apply foro EEA family permit

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Chirl

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat May 01, 2010 6:53 am

1) http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/processingtimes
2) 6 months.
3) Only abroad, so yes.
4) On the EEA route, not earlier than 6 years.
5) Marriage certificate and passports.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/eunationalsschemes/
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucit ... ropeanlaw/

John

Post by John » Sat May 01, 2010 6:54 am

ChIrl, first things first, in what way do you intend to exercise EU Treaty Rights in the UK? That is, are you intending to be employed, self-employed, or what?
John

ChIrl

Post by ChIrl » Sat May 01, 2010 7:37 am

Thanks folks.

I am going to UK to take up employment. I already have a job offer.

only 6 months valid visa? What is the best way to get long term visa for my wife, as I don't want to apply every 6 months.

John wrote:ChIrl, first things first, in what way do you intend to exercise EU Treaty Rights in the UK? That is, are you intending to be employed, self-employed, or what?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat May 01, 2010 8:03 am

ChIrl wrote:I am going to UK to take up employment. I already have a job offer.

only 6 months valid visa? What is the best way to get long term visa for my wife, as I don't want to apply every 6 months.
Read the second link above: apply for a residence card for your wife.

ChIrl

Post by ChIrl » Sat May 01, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks very much for the info. Any idea how long it will take to receive residence card?

Does the residence card have the same rights as EEA family permit in relations to travel to other European countries? I have seen some forum debats on some countries allowing visa free travel for EEA family permit holders.

86ti wrote:

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat May 01, 2010 10:50 am

ChIrl wrote:Thanks very much for the info. Any idea how long it will take to receive residence card?
There are a few threads here discussing this but essentially it's only guesstimating. Probably a few months at the moment.
ChIrl wrote:Does the residence card have the same rights as EEA family permit in relations to travel to other European countries? I have seen some forum debats on some countries allowing visa free travel for EEA family permit holders.
It is solely the marriage which grants EEA rights to your wife. The EEA FP does not allow visa free travel as its only purpose is to be an entrance clearance to the UK. In fact, some couples/families coming to the UK from Ireland do not even bother to get it because of the CTA. Doing so is not illegal and can't have an impact on future rights or applications.

It is the residence card that would grant you visa free travel provided that you both travel together or she joins you at a later date. Some countries may allow spouse to travel alone though. http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=27612

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sat May 01, 2010 10:53 am

86ti wrote:In fact, some couples/families coming to the UK from Ireland do not even bother to get it because of the CTA. Doing so is not illegal and can't have an impact on future rights or applications.
Quite.

ChIrl, it's a waste of time, effort and money getting an EEA FP for your missus, and has zero gain.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

ChIrl

Post by ChIrl » Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks once again.

Would it be good idea to apply for a Visit or any other visa for my wife for time being, which can be obtained quickly and then apply for Residence permit later, which takes months. My wife's 5 year UK visa (visit visa) obtained along with me before I was naturalised expired very recently. I agree with your point regarding CTA, but just want to make sure of everything.
ChIrl wrote:Thanks very much for the info. Any idea how long it will take to receive residence card?

Does the residence card have the same rights as EEA family permit in relations to travel to other European countries? I have seen some forum debats on some countries allowing visa free travel for EEA family permit holders.

86ti wrote:

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sat May 01, 2010 11:13 am

Is it Britain you're travelling to? How will you be travelling?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat May 01, 2010 11:15 am

Hmm, aren't Irish resident in the UK automatically 'settled' persons? That would mean that you could also go down the UK route. Faster naturalisation but also quite expensive. But you can't easily switch between the two routes.

I don't quite see you problem though. A visit visa would be valid for only six months anyway and would cost money. The EEA FP should be easier to get and is also for free. The lack of a residence card (NB not a permit) is no problem and in fact optional (but for practical reason it is better to have one esp. in the case of visa nationals).

I suppose the plan is to live with your wife in the UK?

ChIrl

Post by ChIrl » Sat May 01, 2010 11:26 am

Yes, it is Britain I plan to go and work and plan to live with my wife. Will be travelling either by Ferry or Flight. I know that there are no border controls for flight, but not sure about ferry.

I don't think Republic of Ireland resident are considered as automatically settled in UK. As per law, any Irish resident apart from Irish Citizens requires a visa to travel to UK. I understand that visit visa for spouses of EU citizens is free.

I want to apply for any visa, which I can get it quickly say atleast in 4 weeks, so that we both can travel together.

My wife already applied for Irish citizenship last year, but don't know how long it will take to receive approval (approx 2-3 years in IRL).

thanks once again for all the details.
86ti wrote:Hmm, aren't Irish resident in the UK automatically 'settled' persons? That would mean that you could also go down the UK route. Faster naturalisation but also quite expensive. But you can't easily switch between the two routes.

I don't quite see you problem though. A visit visa would be valid for only six months anyway and would cost money. The EEA FP should be easier to get and is also for free. The lack of a residence card (NB not a permit) is no problem and in fact optional (but for practical reason it is better to have one esp. in the case of visa nationals).

I suppose the plan is to live with your wife in the UK?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sat May 01, 2010 11:46 am

ChIrl wrote:Yes, it is Britain I plan to go and work and plan to live with my wife. Will be travelling either by Ferry or Flight. I know that there are no border controls for flight, but not sure about ferry.
Ferry would be better.

Some airlines (notably Ryanair) might refuse travel to visa-required nationals if they don't have a visa, in spite of the EU Directive. Aer Lingus should be ok though. Possibly BMI, too.

Still, I'd get the ferry anyway. If you're not taking a car with you, SailRail is fantastic value.

ChIrl

Post by ChIrl » Sat May 22, 2010 10:54 pm

Folks,

My wife got EEA Family permit for 6 months this week. We are travelling to UK in June. Just wondering when & where can I apply for Residence permit for my wife?

can I apply in UK afer reaching over there on a Family permit? Or Can I apply from Ireland without a residence address in UK?

Thanks in advance,

Ben wrote:
ChIrl wrote:Yes, it is Britain I plan to go and work and plan to live with my wife. Will be travelling either by Ferry or Flight. I know that there are no border controls for flight, but not sure about ferry.
Ferry would be better.

Some airlines (notably Ryanair) might refuse travel to visa-required nationals if they don't have a visa, in spite of the EU Directive. Aer Lingus should be ok though. Possibly BMI, too.

Still, I'd get the ferry anyway. If you're not taking a car with you, SailRail is fantastic value.

eldane
Mood:
Denmark

It appears u didn't bother to read the answer u got from TI8

Post by eldane » Sun May 23, 2010 12:43 am

You could have found all the forms for all sorts of EU residents cards in the posting made by TI86 in answer to your initial question.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... /eea21.pdf

That form you require, EEA2, contains instructions and address of the Border agency in Liverpool.
Good intentions are appreciated but results are what matters..

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:10 am

Ben wrote:
86ti wrote:In fact, some couples/families coming to the UK from Ireland do not even bother to get it because of the CTA. Doing so is not illegal and can't have an impact on future rights or applications.
Quite.

ChIrl, it's a waste of time, effort and money getting an EEA FP for your missus, and has zero gain.
For clarity - No substantial costs should be incurred as the EEA family permit is free.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun May 23, 2010 9:11 am

Plum70 wrote:
Ben wrote:
Quite.

For clarity - No substantial costs should be incurred as the EEA family permit is free.
But printing is not free, jiffy bags are not free, registered post is not free. For in-person applications there are also the costs of travel to the embassy and loss of earnings.

It all adds up and it was entirely wasteful in the OP's circumstances, as the EEA FP has no benefit in his spouse's situation and will (almost definitely) not even be looked at at the UK border.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun May 23, 2010 9:56 am

ChIrl wrote:Folks,

My wife got EEA Family permit for 6 months this week. We are travelling to UK in June. Just wondering when & where can I apply for Residence permit for my wife?

can I apply in UK afer reaching over there on a Family permit? Or Can I apply from Ireland without a residence address in UK?
Residence permit is incorrect - your wife does not need permission to reside in the UK if you are resident and are exercising a Treaty right there.

A "Residence card of a family member if a Union citizen" may be applied for, using form EEA2, once your wife is in the UK. The address is on the form.

ChIrl

Post by ChIrl » Sun May 23, 2010 11:02 am

Sorry, I meant EEA2 for my wife. As I understand that can only be applied once I start working and have an address in UK.

How long does it take for straightforward cases? I have opened another thread for queries on that and would appreciate your views on it:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=57456

Also, as per EEA family permit, my wife cannot travel alone to UK. Is that true? the visa states that "family member to acc xxx". It is the general practice?

Ben wrote:
ChIrl wrote:Folks,

Residence permit is incorrect - your wife does not need permission to reside in the UK if you are resident and are exercising a Treaty right there.

A "Residence card of a family member if a Union citizen" may be applied for, using form EEA2, once your wife is in the UK. The address is on the form.

AlienX
Newly Registered

Post by AlienX » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:02 pm

Hi All

I have the same situation as ChIrl i.e. Irish citizen married to Non-EEA living in Ireland and planning to move to UK.

First, I’d like to say that we were in a bit of shock when we faced with all those conflicts between EU regulations and UK legislation. It just seems impossible that such things happen, when even such respected sources of information as Wikipedia are openly saying that “This is due to the FAULTY incorporation of the Directive by The Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006â€

boi
Newly Registered

Post by boi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:10 am

hope someone might help.
I am non-EEA.married to EEA national.
have Irish residence permit(thru work). my husband recently got job in uk and we moved to uk in dec.
I normally dont need visa to come to uk,so i just flew here with him.

Can I apply for EU family permit(using EEA2) from within the uk?The form said I have to be "lawful" here.what does that mean?coming from ireland there was no stamp put on my passport,they just looked at it and let me thru...
I cant go back and apply from ireland as that doesnt suit us-rented our house,two small children,processing too long and wouldnt travel with them holding on to my passport.
What are my options?
thanks in advance.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:27 am

Please keep your questions in a single thread. That way makes it easier to follow the discussion.