ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please help with Fiance Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

danizinha
Newly Registered

Please help with Fiance Visa

Post by danizinha » Sun May 09, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi, I am in the process of getting all the documents ready for my boyfriends fiance visa. He is in Brazil at the moment. I am desperate to get him back home as soon as possible after he overstayed in the UK for 5 years (we were together for 3 years and he was living with me). We were sick of living a lie so he went home so we could try and do everything properly.

I have a lawyer who is helping me collate everything. The problem is the lawyer has asked me to get some kind of proof from the registrar about our pending marriage. I really dont know how to do this as on the websites that I have been looking at about civil ceremonies it says that in order to apply we need the documents but obviously we dont have them yet. How can I obtain proof of our forthcoming marriage for the home office if I cant apply without having the documents?

Also any more fiance visa advice anyone could give me would be so much appreciated. This is all so stressful and I want him home with me as soon as possible :-( Thank you in advance.

Danizinha

John

Post by John » Mon May 10, 2010 6:44 am

You can't "get some kind of proof from the registrar about our pending marriage". All you can do is produce some sort of statement, such as "After 10 days back in the country we intend to go to the Register Office and give the needed Notice of Intention to Marry. We then intend to marry at the Register Office about 4 to 6 weeks later.", or whatever.

Are you having a Wedding Reception? If yes, there is no harm you contacting the intended venue, and whilst not making a firm booking, getting details of cost, and including that with the application. "We intend to have a Wedding Reception at XYZ Restaurant, and whilst no firm booking has been made, because we do not know the date the visa will be granted, the intention is to have the ABC Menu at £x.xx per head.", or whatever.
John

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Mon May 10, 2010 8:46 am

John is right, danizinha: you can't make any formal bookings until your fiancé has arrived in the UK.

However, as well as a statement in your sponsorship letter, things you can use as evidence of your intention to marry would include:

Emails between you and the Register office: email your query about booking a ceremony when one partner is a foreign national, and ask about the availability of the dates when you want to hold the ceremony. this is good evidence that you are planning as far as the law allows you to.

Visit the web pages on direct.gov.uk that tell you about the law on getting married in the UK for foreign nationals, and what register offices are authorised for those ceremonies. Print them out and use them as evidence you have investigated the situation.

As John said, enquiries about reception venues: if you write to a selection venues and ask for availability dates and quotes then you should get a nice set of replies on headed paper from bona fide venues.

Correspondence between you and your fiancé discussing your proposed marriage (e.g. sending him details of the venues you have looked at and asking which he prefers, for example. But also draw the ECO's attention to any correspondence where you mention getting married, even if it's just something like, "oh, I can't wait!").

A guest list, if you have drawn one up. Needn't be formal: just an indication that you are planning something.

The ECO should know that you can't book a ceremony yet, and the guidance to them makes this clear. they are instructed to look out for "some tenantive plans".

Hopet his helps: not all the ideas will apply to your situation and I wouldn't recommend you shoehorn in something artificial, but remember to draw the ECO's attention to what you've got!
[/list]

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:14 am

When we applied (admittedly a few years back) the only plan we had was that we would get married in the month of May which was a few months later. This didn't cause my fiancee any problems at all with her application.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Mon May 10, 2010 11:53 am

Where did your fiancée make her application, djb123?

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:03 pm

Kitty wrote:Where did your fiancée make her application, djb123?
It was in Manila, early 2005 (I said it was a few years back..).

At the time they were interviewing every applicant and the lack of wedding plans definately didn't cause her any problems as the interview was done quickly and in a very friendly manner.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Mon May 10, 2010 4:09 pm

That's interesting - I would guess the interviewing helped them assess "genuineness".

Refusals I've seen recently have seemed really to go to town on the "lack of planning" angle: complaints by ECOs that "all" the applicant has provided is some brochures of proposed venues and a statement that they are planning to marry their fiancé etc.