ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indefinite leave to remain - URGENT - please help

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

avi27
Newly Registered

Post by avi27 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:12 pm

Hello Friends,

I am eligible for indefinite leave to remain and would like to apply for this. However, recently we had a baby boy and now I have recieved his Indian passport. So to apply for ILR, do I need to first get a visa (limited leave to remain) for our boy and then apply for ILR. OR just submit his passport (without any visa stamped) along with my wife's and this should be fine for ILR application!

I would be really grateful if anyone could kindly advise on above.

Thanks

Avi

joh118

Re: Indefinite leave to remain - URGENT - please help

Post by joh118 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:49 pm

avi27 wrote:Hello Friends,

I am eligible for indefinite leave to remain and would like to apply for this. However, recently we had a baby boy and now I have recieved his Indian passport. So to apply for ILR, do I need to first get a visa (limited leave to remain) for our boy and then apply for ILR. OR just submit his passport (without any visa stamped) along with my wife's and this should be fine for ILR application!

I would be really grateful if anyone could kindly advise on above.

Thanks

Avi
yes, he is your dependent.

Also, when you get your ILR, if your son was born in the UK, apply for your son's british passport, he would be british by birth.

Pierrot95

Post by Pierrot95 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:44 pm

To save some £££s, you can apply for your ILR without your son, and then register him as UK citizen.

======

avi27
Newly Registered

Post by avi27 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:27 pm

Many thanks for quick response guys.

Just in case if I decide to send our son's passport along with ours for ILR, will he need a visa (limited leave to remain) on his passport?

amreenmalik

Post by amreenmalik » Thu May 06, 2010 2:35 pm

avi27 wrote:Many thanks for quick response guys.

Just in case if I decide to send our son's passport along with ours for ILR, will he need a visa (limited leave to remain) on his passport?
Not necessary to have FLR for baby when you apply for ILR as your dependant.

lemafrique
Newly Registered

Post by lemafrique » Thu May 06, 2010 8:36 pm

hi

i had a similar situation - there is no need to get a visa stamped in your boy's passport. Simply apply for him as your dependant when you go for your Indefinite leave to remain. I had to have my children's passports authenticated by our embassy because the passports had not been travelled in (three passports in total) and our applications were successful.

Good luck.

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Mon May 10, 2010 1:41 pm

Also, when you get your ILR, if your son was born in the UK, apply for your son's british passport, he would be british by birth.
Whether or not you choose to apply for ILR for your son, he will not be British by birth and you cannot just apply for a british passport for him.

Once you obtain ILR, you can apply for the child to be registered as a british citizen using form MN1, only after he has recieved his registration certificate does he become British and is then eligible for a British passport
'In everything give thanks'

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Mon May 10, 2010 5:26 pm

OFCHARITY is correct and precise.

If a child is born in UK and one or both parents have ILR then the child is british by birth.

If a child is born in UK, and none of the parents have ILR then the child in not british by birth. But when any of the parents get ILR, child can then be Registered as a British citizen.

Here is the form and guidance to do that http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... nality/mn1

mo222
Newly Registered

Post by mo222 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi
I had the same case and I got ILR last week. You dont need for the limited leave to remain, just include your baby in your ILR application and attached his birth certificate to the application.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Tue May 11, 2010 5:12 pm

mo222 wrote:Hi
I had the same case and I got ILR last week. You dont need for the limited leave to remain, just include your baby in your ILR application and attached his birth certificate to the application.
Well, if you eventually want British Nationality for the child, then I do not see the point of getting the child an ILR. Once you get your own ILR, then simply apply for the child to be registered as British Citizen.

avi27
Newly Registered

Post by avi27 » Sun May 16, 2010 5:08 pm

Friends .......Many many thanks for your help !

Yours sincerely

Avinash